E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > idrive controller not responding

10-11-2021, 11:37 AM   #23
kissdaring
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i E93

Just to update. After putting in the used part all is operational. My guess would be that it fried itself.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 09:43 PM   #24
Alsanchez1226
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

This is my first post on a forum. My idrive controller isn't working. The buttons on the console and steering wheel work just not on the controller. I checked the voltage and on wire 1 and I'm getting (13.96v), Wire 2 (.002v), Wire 3 (.5v), Wire 4 (4.5v). The only thing I've done was my battery died and I recharged it and it worked fine. But the car died again because the car sat there for a while and now it doesnt work at all after I recharged the battery. I don't wanna go straight to replacing it because of the price but I just wanna know my options. A lot of people bring up issues when they get there battery replaced or alternator changed. All I did was recharge the battery when it dies. Anything helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 02:06 PM   #25
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsanchez1226 View Post
This is my first post on a forum. My idrive controller isn't working. The buttons on the console and steering wheel work just not on the controller. I checked the voltage and on wire 1 and I'm getting (13.96v), Wire 2 (.002v), Wire 3 (.5v), Wire 4 (4.5v). The only thing I've done was my battery died and I recharged it and it worked fine. But the car died again because the car sat there for a while and now it doesnt work at all after I recharged the battery. I don't wanna go straight to replacing it because of the price but I just wanna know my options. A lot of people bring up issues when they get there battery replaced or alternator changed. All I did was recharge the battery when it dies. Anything helps.
Your controller is probably dead. For whatever reason the iDrive controller seems to have some unpleasant way of handling some type of voltage spike.

The best I could recommend is look for a used controller. If your controller is in physically good condition you can probably find one that is cosmetically ugly but you can swap your buttons and switches if you want - that's what I did. I paid less than $100 for a used controller.

If you know someone with an E90 they could potentially swap their controller with you to confirm.
      09-16-2022, 02:05 PM   #26
Alsanchez1226
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Your controller is probably dead. For whatever reason the iDrive controller seems to have some unpleasant way of handling some type of voltage spike.

The best I could recommend is look for a used controller. If your controller is in physically good condition you can probably find one that is cosmetically ugly but you can swap your buttons and switches if you want - that's what I did. I paid less than $100 for a used controller.

If you know someone with an E90 they could potentially swap their controller with you to confirm.

He so I just bought a new one for 400 which I know wasn't my only option, but that that completely fixed it. Thanks for the tip 👍
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 02:27 PM   #27
mcjoe691
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
He so I just bought a new one for 400 which I know wasn't my only option, but that that completely fixed it. Thanks for the tip 👍
I drive contoler no power at all . I was taping into this for the strobe lights i have 😩 I should have never done this . No Radio , no CD , no Xm . The I drive is not working at all . Anyone know how I can fix this ? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 03:33 PM   #28
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjoe691 View Post
I drive contoler no power at all . I was taping into this for the strobe lights i have 😩 I should have never done this . No Radio , no CD , no Xm . The I drive is not working at all . Anyone know how I can fix this ? Thanks
Are you writing this after trying a replacement controller?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 12:28 PM   #29
mcjoe691
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No .
      11-26-2022, 12:42 PM   #30
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
No .
Then I would replace it if your joystick shows red in ISTA.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 04:37 PM   #31
mcjoe691
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No .
Then I would replace it if your joystick shows red in ISTA.
I replace the joy stick also now nothing no power . The fuse is good #14
      12-17-2022, 01:14 PM   #32
Evilbean
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

iDrive Controller Knob and Buttons not working

Hey guys, hoping you can help me with this one. I’ve been fighting with it for over a year. IDrive controller does not work, and neither do the buttons. However, the screen works totally fine. I’ve checked all the fuses from the fuse box I’ve run ISTA and I’ve got no communication from the controller. I’ve tried two replacement iDrive controllers that I bought from eBay and neither worked.

Any other ideas of what it might be I learned from one of the other posts that there is a single power cable going to the iDrive controller and it is under or near the footpedal something called X9331. Ista shows a fuse in here but I’m not sure if there really is one before I start. Pulling more things off the car. Is there something obvious I might be missing. Appreciate any help. I’ve got a number of tools at my disposal INPA, WinKPF, Ista-D (not P), and the Bimmergeeks protool
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 05:32 PM   #33
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Mine is the same thing as you saw. I do not get errors in ISTA but the controller just does not work.

Argh - was bleeding brakes but the supercharger coolant pump killed the battery so I had to boost the car. FML, fragile POS.

I see a new controller fixed it for you - just wanted to complain a little...

Sorry to revive an old thread...

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 0