E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Engine Malfunction- Reduced Power. Misfires and smoky exhaust

08-23-2019, 06:50 PM   #1
E92Quazz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Engine Malfunction- Reduced Power. Misfires and smoky exhaust

My 2011 e92 has been having a heap of problems after it’s recent tune up. Recently bought this car in November of 2018 at 92k with me being third owner.
I did a tune up maybe 2 weeks ago using bosh coils and plugs (not oem) and I drove the car from Stockton to Los Angeles (about 360+ miles each way) and didn’t have any problems whatsoever. After getting back I put another 200+ miles on it and i started feeling the car rough idle and eventually the engine malfunction reduced power notice came on and the Half Engine light came on. The car also shut off on me on three different occasions while stopped at a red light due to misfires. I’ve checked the ob2 and I had misfires on coils 2 and 3. I checked the coils/spark plugs to see if everything was looking good and the spark plug on coil three was already looking a bit burnt (probably from the LA trip I assume) but after I clear it and drive again I get the same problem and this time the Smokey exhaust. I check the ob2 again and I have codes for random misfires, misfires in coils 1,2,3 and I’m now getting a P15DF code.
I’m not very car knowledgeable on BMWs so any assistance I can get to point me in the right direction is appreciated.

Car is currently at 107500+ miles
Let me know if you have any ideas or need any additional info that can help with figuring it out.
Gonna be switching back to old coils to see if it’ll help, I didn’t have a issue with them I just wanted a tune up before the LA trip.

Last edited by E92Quazz; 08-23-2019 at 07:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 11:30 PM   #2
The_E92_Fan
V8 Bait
Rep
Drives: your mom

what brand and what gap on the plugs you installed? if they were getting improper burn, they would get buildup and eventually cause your misfire.
      08-28-2019, 10:00 PM   #3
E92Quazz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_E92_Fan View Post
what brand and what gap on the plugs you installed? if they were getting improper burn, they would get buildup and eventually cause your misfire.
Using bosh coils and plugs, and I used the same gap the plugs I took off had. I believe it was 0.08. Ended up just towing to the a local shop cause I couldn’t figure out what is issue was and they told me the fuel injector was stuck open and fuel was getting in the cylinders. Quoted me $960 for the work ;(. Hoping that’s the worse of my problems.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 10:09 PM   #4
NinetyEight740
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 - 2013 535i msport

Garage List
2010 E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Quazz View Post
Using bosh coils and plugs, and I used the same gap the plugs I took off had. I believe it was 0.08. Ended up just towing to the a local shop cause I couldn’t figure out what is issue was and they told me the fuel injector was stuck open and fuel was getting in the cylinders. Quoted me $960 for the work ;(. Hoping that’s the worse of my problems.
Common problem. Hopefully the cat converter didn’t get too much fuel into it as they sometimes end up failing immediately following fuel injector failure.
Appreciate 0