E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 N54 - electrics shutting off but car still drives

08-24-2019, 07:53 AM   #1
cheddle
Australia
Rep
Drives: '07 BMW E90 335i

E90 N54 - electrics shutting off but car still drives

150,000kms on the clock. Driving along (in the rain at night) when suddenly at 50 km/h the CCC, climate control and speedometer all stop working. The TC warning light flicks on. Within about 10 seconds The CCC comes back and shows TPM, DSC, DBC, faults. About 5-10 seconds later the dash indicates gearbox failure and the windscreen wipers stop mid wipe, the power windows don’t respond and the heater blows cold air. The taco still works (if i recall correctly) and the car is still driving however I assume my electric water pump has stopped so i pull over and sure enough a moment later I get a ‘coolant temp high’ alert so i turn the car off.

At this point I let it sit powered off for a min or two and turn the car back on. I still have start assist failure TPM, DSC, DBC faults on the CCC and the TC light is illuminated. The heaters are blowing hot air again. I put it in reverse and roll back about a meter and notice the gearbox failure is illuminated again. Putting the car into drive is clunky but it goes in. I drive about a few meters when again the same process repeats itself and within 20 meters my heaters are cold and wipers stop mid wipe. Turning the car off and on again and the wipers work but I didn’t start the engine.

i have left the car 30kms from home and will go back tomorrow to try and troubleshoot.

I visually inspected the battery and notice that there is a small quantity of liquid on top and the boot smells sharp to the nose.

At this point I suspect either a battery or alternator failure. Perhaps a dead cell or an ovecharge situation.

Does anyone have any advice or other thoughts on possible causes or troubleshooting I should perform?

I purchased the car a few weeks ago and have driven about 3,000 kms since then. The car occasionally cranks slow but dosnt crank many times before starting. I also flashed the ECU using MHD about 600 kms ago and had many flash failures using a battery charger. I eventually managed to complete the flash process by connecting the battery to a running car so this may indicate a weak battery or ineffective charging condition. At the time of flashing I recall MHD reporting the battery as about 12v.

Thanks in advance for any assistance
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 08:21 AM   #2
dtalanga
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92 6MT Sport

Access the hidden menu and check the voltage before and after you start the car. Had the same exact issue and my alternator was charging 17V which caused all the electronics to shut off. Cause was voltage regulator, extremely cheap compared to the alternator and can be replaced with the alternator still on the car in less than 30min.
Here's the video from when this occurred on my car
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 03:11 PM   #3
cshiznitzj
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Ive had the same thing happen. Measured 17v output with a volt meter from alternator while idling. Fix it before you damage the batter or other electronics.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 10:32 PM   #4
cheddle
Australia
Rep
Drives: '07 BMW E90 335i

battery was dead this mornjng. 11.5v and would not start the car. I replaced the battery and the voltage instantly went to over 18 volts and systems reported errors and shutdown. Currently waiting for a tow truck to take it to my mechanic and have the altenator replaced.

Edit: I did not do any coding or registration as upon seeing the voltage so high I figure the regulator is cooked. So ill swap it out, register and code.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 12:38 PM   #5
dtalanga
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddle View Post
battery was dead this mornjng. 11.5v and would not start the car. I replaced the battery and the voltage instantly went to over 18 volts and systems reported errors and shutdown. Currently waiting for a tow truck to take it to my mechanic and have the altenator replaced.

Edit: I did not do any coding or registration as upon seeing the voltage so high I figure the regulator is cooked. So ill swap it out, register and code.
Save yourself over $400, replace only the regulator. The alternator itself is more than likely fine, costs about $450 and requires the removal of so much stuff in order to get to the bolts. The regulator is only $45 and requires just the air box to be removed in order to access all the bolts from the back of the alternator, extremely easy job.
Appreciate 0