E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > DIY/Review: Mishimoto N54 Baffled Catch Can

06-14-2015, 05:41 PM   #1
gabylonfive
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3, 05 Elise

DIY/Review: Mishimoto N54 Baffled Catch Can

After a bit of back and forth with the fine Mishimoto folks (thanks John for all your help!), finally got a chance to install my catch can last night. I initially received the incorrect hose barbs for the supplied hoses but they were quickly shipped out and I rec'd them in 48 hours of contacting them on the boards.

Features

The can itself is very nice. Simple, clean design with some clever engineering. I know some folks have expressed concern over the placement of this kit but FWIW I'm running a Synapse charge pipe and BOV and had no fitment issues whatsoever. I guess I could foresee an issue if your BOV/DV mounts closer to the FMIC outlet, so I'd do more research on fitment if that's the case for you. The hoses are a bit long though..

Emptying the can will be much easier with it near the PS reservoir as I won't need to take the cowl off every time like I would with the BMS can. Digging the bronze filter and internal baffle design.

Installation

Kit contains:

-Catch Can
-N54-specific bracket
-1 x straight rubber hose
-1 x rubber hose with flared 180* bend
-2 x hose barbs
-mounting hardware

Installation was pretty straight forward. Remove the cowl and engine cover to get access to your PCV hose. I like to use a thin trim tool to disconnect these fittings just popping one side off at a time while pulling gently to keep the clips disconnected - haven't broken one yet so that method seems to work.

Once the hose is off you'll reuse the valve cover side fitting only (top (larger) one in the picture.) Mishimoto calls for a heat gun but since I wasn't planning on reusing the hose I just used a utility blade and carefully sliced the hose to get the fittings off.

The straight rubber hose will plug back into this fitting and run to the IN port on the can.

You'll use the 180* hose on the turbo inlet port WITHOUT reusing the pcv hose fitting. There's a flare on that end of the hose that fits over the barbed port on the inlet. That isn't explained so well in the installation instructions so hopefully that saves someone a headache in case they get to that point wondering why the hose looks way too big. Plugs into the OUT port on the can.

Make sure the hose bends back towards the firewall so the engine cover doesn't rub against the hose when you put it back on. Fitment was pretty good for me, just be careful of the fuel rail electrical connector and other connections in that area.

Here you can see fitment with my charge pipe and BOV.

Overall the install is pretty simple, just take your time and don't brute force things. If you've taken your PCV hose off before then you've pretty much got the hard part down already.

Thanks again to John and the Mishimoto folks for a good product and great service. This is my third Mishimoto purchase (FMIC, radiator, and now the catch can) and they've all been very good quality.

Last edited by gabylonfive; 06-15-2015 at 10:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 10:16 PM   #2
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Needs to be 3 port
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 06:31 AM   #3
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976
Needs to be 3 port
Also don't like how the hose is an eye sore to the engine bay, and how long they are..

Great DIY though OP.
Appreciate 1
Luper5258.50
      06-15-2015, 08:04 AM   #4
The Convert
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Yeah, good write up.

Product wise though, those hoses are way too long.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 03:55 PM   #5
mishimoto
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Great feedback Gabylon! Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
Needs to be 3 port
Thanks Rob. As we noted in our development thread, we are certainly considering a 3-port option as a future endeavor. We had great results with this particular setup and it should provide adequate protection for a majority of E90 owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Convert View Post
Yeah, good write up.

Product wise though, those hoses are way too long.
Longer hose length was necessary for our specific can location. We found this setup to function perfectly and does not incur any ill effects from the added volume. As a result, servicing the can takes seconds and is far more user friendly than a firewall mounted setup.

Thanks
-John
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2015, 04:38 PM   #6
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

This is definitely a better location than the BMS can. The cooler the can is the better job it will do at condensing the oil vapor from the air. Unfortunately longer hoses are required. You can probably get longer hoses and then route them deeper down for better looks. I would have gone with this can but it doesn't work in Injen intake.

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 1
      06-15-2015, 04:59 PM   #7
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishimoto View Post
Great feedback Gabylon! Thank you very much.

Thanks Rob. As we noted in our development thread, we are certainly considering a 3-port option as a future endeavor. We had great results with this particular setup and it should provide adequate protection for a majority of E90 owners.

Longer hose length was necessary for our specific can location. We found this setup to function perfectly and does not incur any ill effects from the added volume. As a result, servicing the can takes seconds and is far more user friendly than a firewall mounted setup.

Thanks
-John
my firewall set up only takes 10 seconds to drain. Drain on bottom
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 11:49 PM   #8
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
This is definitely a better location than the BMS can. The cooler the can is the better job it will do at condensing the oil vapor from the air. Unfortunately longer hoses are required. You can probably get longer hoses and then route them deeper down for better looks. I would have gone with this can but it doesn't work in Injen intake.
BMS can is designed to keep its hoses as short as
possible to reduce crankcase restriction
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 12:28 AM   #9
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The hoses will only pass as much air as the PCV valve will allow. If you've even blown through one, they are very restrictive. The hose size is overkill as is, and adding a few feet certainly isn't going to make any difference.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 12:43 AM   #10
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
The hoses will only pass as much air as the PCV valve will allow. If you've even blown through one, they are very restrictive. The hose size is overkill as is, and adding a few feet certainly isn't going to make any difference.
Actually, they will increase crankcase pressure.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 01:08 AM   #11
user2688
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Actually, they will increase crankcase pressure.
How would it increase pressure if it is less restrictive than the valve?

Also, having had a BMS can myself, I can say +1 on the functionality.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 03:21 AM   #12
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by user2688 View Post
How would it increase pressure if it is less restrictive than the valve?

Also, having had a BMS can myself, I can say +1 on the functionality.
The problem with longer hoses is the increased pressure drop across them. This increases crankcase pressure and causes other issues. Short hoses with minimal flow restriction are what you want.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 11:28 AM   #13
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The problem with longer hoses is the increased pressure drop across them. This increases crankcase pressure and causes other issues. Short hoses with minimal flow restriction are what you want.
True, but with such a large diameter hose compared to the flow rate passing through them, a longer hose is going to have a negligible effect.

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 11:35 AM   #14
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
True, but with such a large diameter hose compared to the flow rate passing through them, a longer hose is going to have a negligible effect.
lol this case doesn't matter, its a 2 port. Correct way is plug the head, delete flapper and PCV and vent valve cover to OCC and connect to good vacuum.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 09:55 AM   #15
mishimoto
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Thanks for taking a look!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks guys! The restriction within our system may be slightly greater than a shorter line route, but the differences will be marginal and essentially negligible. We've tested this kit extensively and have had 0 issues with these line lengths on the E90. Any additional volume added to the system is going to impact flow. That being said, we do not see these differences causing concern for the N54. Additionally, all of our catch can kits add volume in terms of the can itself as well as the line volume. Each kit has proven to perform well and none have caused any ill effects.

Thanks
-John
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 02:44 PM   #16
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishimoto View Post
Thanks for taking a look!

Thanks guys! The restriction within our system may be slightly greater than a shorter line route, but the differences will be marginal and essentially negligible. We've tested this kit extensively and have had 0 issues with these line lengths on the E90. Any additional volume added to the system is going to impact flow. That being said, we do not see these differences causing concern for the N54. Additionally, all of our catch can kits add volume in terms of the can itself as well as the line volume. Each kit has proven to perform well and none have caused any ill effects.

Thanks
-John
Can you please supply crankcase pressure that you tested on boost and idle on long hoses Vs short?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 03:48 PM   #17
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can you please supply crankcase pressure that you tested on boost and idle on long hoses Vs short?

Thank you
Anyone who has taken any freshman engineering courses and knows how the PCV system works would understand that at this size of the hoses, the length is going to have a negligible effect on the crankcase pressure. Any excess crankcase pressure would be the fault of the PCV valve since it is the bottleneck in the system by a long shot.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 06:30 PM   #18
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Anyone who has taken any freshman engineering courses and knows how the PCV system works would understand that at this size of the hoses, the length is going to have a negligible effect on the crankcase pressure. Any excess crankcase pressure would be the fault of the PCV valve since it is the bottleneck in the system by a long shot.
did I ask you for anything? Don't think so. There is a lot more to it than that. Since you are the expert on the N54 and everyone should bow down to you and I would think you would have this informative? Or are you just blowing steam out your pants?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 06:32 PM   #19
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
by the way, how about those that run without a PCV, vented valve cover abd plugged air ports?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 06:36 PM   #20
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
by the way, how about those that run without a PCV, vented valve cover abd plugged air ports?
This catch can clearly isn't for those people, so I'm not sure why you brought it up.

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 06:36 PM   #21
lordofthering
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535xi

Quote:
my firewall set up only takes 10 seconds to drain. Drain on bottom
Does your firewall setup allows you access Catch Can by hand ? What is size length and Diameter of Hose gets connected with PCV ? I am thinking of making my own catch can and I am trying to find our what length and diameter of hose I will need. Any information will be a great help
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 07:25 PM   #22
ssgtcarroll
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135I

Quote:
did I ask you for anything? Don't think so. There is a lot more to it than that. Since you are the expert on the N54 and everyone should bow down to you and I would think you would have this informative? Or are you just blowing steam out your pants?
Aren't you a special snow flake.
Appreciate 0