E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > INPA Logging

01-21-2015, 09:06 AM   #23
DWR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

[QUOTE=iaknown;17261238]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR View Post
They are working ok for me. Are you making sure the link includes "showthread" where it has been abbreviated?
Sorry, wasn't clear enough. Not the thread, the download links themselves. It looks like someone's old comcast account.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 10:52 AM   #24
DWR
Banned
Rep

EDIABAS procurement

OK folks, this has really got me feeling stupid. I've looked to download EDIABAS and can find everything from $0 on some sketchy torrents to $400 for a hard drive with the software on it. Looks like my malware protection shielded a hit this morning. I must be doing something wrong?

Can someone recommend a good, clean source. I'm already a Maineiac (see profile for joke), don't want it to get worse!
PM me if that is best.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 06:16 PM   #25
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

I've seen someone recommend mhhauto.com. Gotta get yourself an invite to download (email to admin).
Looks pretty clean from what one can read in the posts like this one:
http://mhhauto.com/Thread-Ready-Mixe...-INPA-NCSEXPER
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 09:14 AM   #26
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik325tds View Post
I've seen someone recommend mhhauto.com. Gotta get yourself an invite to download (email to admin).
Looks pretty clean from what one can read in the posts like this one:
http://mhhauto.com/Thread-Ready-Mixe...-INPA-NCSEXPER
My cable/CD with software showed up. Unfortunately it's an old version and from this thread it would appear not up to date with what's needed.

Mik325tds, thanks for the link above. That place wants $10 to get the "code" to be invited onto their site. The new version of this software says it's Win 8 compatible, which means I could run it on my notepad (I think ... all the variations and war stories about trying to get this stuff up and running is confusing to say the least).

Anyone know if this site is legit? Or if there's another place to get this new version of the Ediabas software?
      01-22-2015, 05:23 PM   #27
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
My cable/CD with software showed up. Unfortunately it's an old version and from this thread it would appear not up to date with what's needed.
Not necessarily. The trick is to get the FTDI driver to emulate a virtual COM port for your cable and then configure EDIABAS to use that same COM port. Unfortunately, if you plug that cable into another USB port, the driver might decide to assign it to a different COM port, so you may need to check and adjust when it doesn't work.
So install the driver for your cable and check in the Device Manager if it assigns a COM port when you plug it in:

If it does - that's a good sign but unfortunately not a guarantee that the cable will work...
Attached Images

Last edited by Mik325tds; 01-22-2015 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 05:39 PM   #28
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep

After you install EDIABAS (or the Toolset 32) make sure that your environment variable PATH includes the c:\Ediabas\BIN directory. It's advisable to install EDIABAS directly to C:\ because all tools that rely on it will look for it there.
You can see your environment variables under System properties, Advanced tab, Environment variables. Double click on "Path" and scroll through the field "Variable value" to find C:\Ediabas\BIN. If it isn't there, apend it at the end and reboot.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-22-2015, 05:53 PM   #29
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep

Can someone please tell this guy how to write in between pictures so he doesn't keep on posting replies to his own posts?
Anyway, next open the file c:\EDIABAS\BIN\ediabas.ini with a text editor and make sure that the Interface is set to STD:OBD
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-22-2015, 06:03 PM   #30
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep

Next, open the file C:\Ediabas\Bin\obd.ini with a text editor and assign the Port to the same Com number of the virtual COM port of the USB driver (see post #27). In my case it is Com5. Hardware should be USB.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-22-2015, 07:17 PM   #31
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep

Now you're ready to see if your interface works in your car. Plug it into the OBD port and switch ignition to on or start the car.
Double click c:\EDIABAS\BIN\Tool32.exe and click Datei -> SGBD, Gruppendatei laden or hit F3.
Select C:\EDIABAS\ECU\d73n57c0.prg (that's the ECU description file for the US 335d) and wait a few seconds.
If the job field stays empty and you get an initialization or IFH (interface handler) error, your cable doesn't work or you have the wrong driver. You have the right to be now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-22-2015, 07:23 PM   #32
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep

If, however you get this window, all is golden
Try double clicking on fs_lesen (read fault memory) and the Results window will output this if you don't have any errors in the DDE.
WARNING!!! Do not try double clicking on jobs where you don't know what they do! You can seriously brick your module.

You can now move on to use INPA, Test-o, NCSexpert or....
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-22-2015, 07:32 PM   #33
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d, 535d, 750i, X5 35d

Quote:
Anyone know if this site is legit? Or if there's another place to get this new version of the Ediabas software?
The site is legit and I'm a member on there as well. However, http://cartechnology.co.uk/ is equally as good and does not require a donation.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 03:34 PM   #34
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Thanks for all the inputs guys.

Think I'm up and running on the INPA/EDIABAS on my Windows 8 notepad now. And the D-CAN cable appears to be working.

iaknown, for the logging/plotting software you linked in post #1 ... any insights on that? I'm planning to read through that link, but my goodness it's another long one...
      01-23-2015, 07:44 PM   #35
DWR
Banned
Rep

With some fantastic help from the good folks here - I'm up and running.
Just verified tonight that the injectors are in perfect working order. Just don't know if I can figure out how to repeat that! haha Lol. A little bit of a learning curve for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 10:29 PM   #36
iaknown
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335D

Will post this to help out anyone else looking to use the Test-o software:

When you open it you will have to find our engine setup. You can play with others but I had the software guru alter the second "DDE 7.3 fur N57" because it seemed the best for our cars.

When you choose it you will see a bunch of parameters but also "custom values" #1-#3. That is where a lot of boost/turbo related parameters are. No matter what parameter you choose at this point you will need to be connected to the car to see anything come up. You can usually identify which line is the value by the figure varying/moving under "value" once the job is pulled up.

Then you can choose it and graph it. Once you choose which graphs you want to see (and you can do this with various Jobs at the same time) you can then do to "File>File logger" and do logging if you'd like. You can even use live gauges as well.

This is a crash course going off memory so if you guys see anything I missed let me know.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 11:46 AM   #37
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

iaknown, this Test-O thing is looking amazing. I'm gonna send that guy a nice donation :-)

So I'm starting to understand how to use it. But I don't understand the language. Google translate is helpful, but ... I'm not exactly sure what I'm measuring.

I think this plot is measuring "desired" and "actual" boost and charge pipe intake temps (in Celcius ... temps go down due to H2O/methanol injection similar to what I measured with Bav Tech).

If it's mbar in absolute terms then STAT_LADEDRUCK_WERT matches extremely closely with the analog boost gauge (when taking out 14.5psi for normal atmospheric pressure). But if the other one is "desired" boost then it would appear the EWG is actually shunting too much exhaust and keeping the turbo "actual" from reaching the "desired"... but if the remap is actually asking for the higher value, then I'm a little concerned it's asking for so much...

Also, I can't figure out how to get the gauges to work. Looks like the options for ECU's for the gauge function doesn't have the 335d one in there... Or am I missing something?

iaknown, which german name referrs to the drive pressure sensor?

Thoughts/suggestions/comments?
Attached Images

01-24-2015, 12:13 PM   #38
DWR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Also, I can't figure out how to get the gauges to work. Looks like the options for ECU's for the gauge function doesn't have the 335d one in there... Or am I missing something?
I am absolutely lovin' this. Can we create a translation matrix for the 335d "jobs"? Obviously it isn't just language, it's nomenclature. Maybe someone already has? Same question about gauges.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 01:24 PM   #39
DWR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
If it's mbar in absolute terms then STAT_LADEDRUCK_WERT matches extremely closely with the analog boost gauge (when taking out 14.5psi for normal atmospheric pressure). But if the other one is "desired" boost then it would appear the EWG is actually shunting too much exhaust and keeping the turbo "actual" from reaching the "desired"... but if the remap is actually asking for the higher value, then I'm a little concerned it's asking for so much...
Certainly, the remap does not take into consideration, JBD'd fuel, H20/Meth, and reduced exhaust backpressure. The remap may have been correct for the setup it was tuned to. It might not be now.

Let me try to explain. The JBD'd fuel and H2O/Meth provide increased upstream turbine pressure. But if exhaust back pressure starts to follow, then additional drive is not fully realized. Boost is not gaining as fast as the backpressure. The pressure ratio of the engine is degrading.

You, iaknown, and others are definitely moving in the right direction, getting airflow through the engine more efficiently. That's going to reduce heat and improve the density ratio => horsepower.

If you hadn't already mentioned before that your MAF is topping out, I'd suggest comparing the mass flow (actually, I'd still suggest it. It just means use an "external" high flow MAF to datalog. You might be able to use a 0-5v version and read it from a "dead" sensor input to the DDE ). Turbos should really be thought of as lb/min (kg/min) machines, not cfm machines. If you can get the same or more mass flow for a lower boost pressure, you are going to be rewarded.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 01:25 PM   #40
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thoughts/suggestions/comments?
You're correct, the STAT_LADEDRUCK_WERT is in mbar and the temperature is in degrees C. But what you thought is "desired" boost is actually the voltage of the sensor in (i think) mVolt. However, you can look up the unit when you execute the same job in EDIABAS. The result window will give you the unit as well. I'll sit down and translate the jobs for you guys when I find the time.
The desired boost is STATUS_LADEDRUCK_SOLL or "desired charge-air pressure, [mbar]" in Test-o.

Last edited by Mik325tds; 01-24-2015 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 02:05 PM   #41
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR View Post
I am absolutely lovin' this. Can we create a translation matrix for the 335d "jobs"? Obviously it isn't just language, it's nomenclature. Maybe someone already has? Same question about gauges.
I'm a bit confused on what you like to be translated as it seems that in Test-o the jobs are mostly translated already. Which jobs in particular would you like translated? The ones in EDIABAS?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 03:45 PM   #42
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You're correct, the STAT_LADEDRUCK_WERT is in mbar and the temperature is in degrees C. But what you thought is "desired" boost is actually the voltage of the sensor in (i think) mVolt. However, you can look up the unit when you execute the same job in EDIABAS. The result window will give you the unit as well. I'll sit down and translate the jobs for you guys when I find the time.
The desired boost is STATUS_LADEDRUCK_SOLL or "desired charge-air pressure, [mbar]" in Test-o.
That was very helpful info, thank you.

I found the "SOLL" for boost in a separate location and re-did a run with only 3 parameters (didn't include rpm this time ... so no x-y scatter plot ... x axis is now just time steps). 4th gear again to ~4200 rpm and the temps were a little warmer (45F).

This "desired" vs "actual" is what I was wanting to see for quite some time now. The TestO "actual" data lines up extremely well with the analog boost gauge and the EWG is helping control the overboost and keeping things close to the set point.

Do you know what the difference between the two actual boost readings is? What does IST stand for?
Attached Images

01-24-2015, 05:07 PM   #43
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Pretty sure I was wrong above on the temperature being at the charge pipe ... based on Google translation. But this attached plot of a 4th gear pull from earlier today, with actual boost, has what I now think is the "charge pipe temp" data. It still shows the impact of the H2O/methanol that comes online at ~3000 rpm in a progressive fashion and how it pulls down temps. Although at these low ambient temps the impact isn't nearly as dramatic as it is in hot summer temps.

I think these are somewhat accurate translation of TestO terms to what makes sense to me and were things I was interested in measuring ...

STAT_MOTORDREHZAHL_WERT - Engine RPM
STAT_LADELUFTTEMPERATUR_WERT - Charge Pipe Air Temp, C
STAT_LADEDRUCK_WERT - Actual Absolute Boost Pressure at MAP, mBar
STAT_LADEDRUCK_SOLL_WERT - Boost Pressure Set Point, mBar
STAT_RAILDRUCK_SOLL_WERT - Rail Press Setpoint, bar
STAT_RAILDRUCK_WERT - Actual Rail Press, bar
STAT_TrbCh_r_WERT - Turbo Bypass Actuator, ?

But I still can't find "Drive Pressure". According to Google it should be something like: Antriebsdruck
Attached Images

01-24-2015, 08:22 PM   #44
DWR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'm a bit confused on what you like to be translated as it seems that in Test-o the jobs are mostly translated already. Which jobs in particular would you like translated? The ones in EDIABAS?
I probably should have said "lookup matrix". Like, the pre-turbo pressure sensor signal is called ... That kind of thing.
Appreciate 0