E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Could someone give me advice on DPF figures please ?

05-03-2017, 05:09 PM   #1
Kaistar
Rep
Drives: E90 325d M sport

Could someone give me advice on DPF figures please ?

Hi there guys, relativity new to maintaining my own diesel cars, company cars for the last 13 years so be gentle with me please ;-)

Late 2007 pre LCI 325d M-Sport E90 118k

I got the DPF light on my dash a while ago and started to do the usual recommended high rev/low gear motorway runs that didn't work and then found out about needing to be clear of ECU faults.
Installed INPA and took someone with me but found that my ageing laptop battery wouldn't last long enough so bit the bullet and bought Carly and the adapter.

I started with a soot level of 52 grams and ash level of 18 and after several regeneration requests and constant clearing of faults by my passenger we hit over 600c exhaust and outside DPF temp and the soot level dropped steadily to 2 gram (single digits), the regeneration indicators dropped to 0.00 and the temp levels returned to around 200c so I assume that the regeneration was over and all was well.

However, the soot level began to rise again on the way home and levelled out at around 23 gram and ash up to 19.41.
Soot is still slowly ticking on and gaining by about 0.01 every mile or so.

Does this sound about right ?

What about the ash level as well, I read somewhere that when a regen happens it converts soot to ash so how is the ash level reduced ?

Should I be requesting another regen ?

I've only had the car 2 months so no idea of how previous owners treated it...

Any insight to normal behaviour is appreciated
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 01:32 AM   #2
Rustymage
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i E90

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaistar View Post
Hi there guys, relativity new to maintaining my own diesel cars, company cars for the last 13 years so be gentle with me please ;-)

I got the DPF light on my dash a while ago and started to do the usual recommended high rev/low gear motorway runs that didn't work and then found out about needing to be clear of ECU faults.
Installed INPA and took someone with me but found that my ageing laptop battery wouldn't last long enough so bit the bullet and bought Carly and the adapter.

I started with a soot level of 52 grams and ash level of 18 and after several regeneration requests and constant clearing of faults by my passenger we hit over 600c exhaust and outside DPF temp and the soot level dropped steadily to 2 gram (single digits), the regeneration indicators dropped to 0.00 and the temp levels returned to around 200c so I assume that the regeneration was over and all was well.

However, the soot level began to rise again on the way home and levelled out at around 23 gram and ash up to 19.41.

What about the ash level as well, I read somewhere that when a regen happens it converts soot to ash so how is the ash level reduced ?

The usual questions will revolve around coolant temps and EGR temps - might need the thermostats changing.

You should be hitting the 90s on coolant after a run.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2017, 04:08 PM   #3
Kaistar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustymage View Post
The usual questions will revolve around coolant temps and EGR temps - might need the thermostats changing.

You should be hitting the 90s on coolant after a run.
Thanks for your reply

Pretty sure the coolant temp was up there at one point, not sure on EGR though as I don't know what that is.

I know the regen has happened because the soot levels have dropped to almost zero but my concern is mainly with soot rising again rapidly to +20 and the ash level remaining almost the same.

Would another forced regen benefit this ?
What is a generally healthy soot/ash level for this engine ?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 05:58 PM   #4
e92russ16
Rep
Drives: E92 325D

Quote:

Hi there, I'm not going to pretend to know about soot figures etc. However, if you want the car to regen, I suggest having a read of my post. Since replacing two thermostats (main and EGR) as well as the EGR valve, I've had no problems at all. Here's my previous post...hope it helps.

Hi All,

I just thought I'd share my car's DPF story with everyone as it might benefit someone having the same problem and save them some pennies.

Just before Christmas, the car flashed up with the dreaded DPF light. This would come on after 10 minutes of ignition - as it turned out the engine didn't need to be running for it to show. I guess this would mean it was just a stored error code. Due to the way it was timed, it seemed that it was reading something and then flashing up, but one day when I was sat on the driveway without the engine even running & it flashed up after 10 minutes, it was clear this wasn't the case.

Theory 1: The car is not doing its DPF (diesel particulate filter) regeneration so it is clogged. The DPF regen is an active process where the engine management makes some changes which causes the exhaust temp to rise and burn off any soot in the DPF.

Regen not happening because the coolant temp reading is too cold. You can access the coolant temp digital readout on the instrument cluster. Other articles on the forum state that it needs to be 75 degrees plus for the car to enter the regen cycle. I replaced both thermostats (EGR stat & main coolant stat). The EGR one is easy to do yourself, but the main stat is bit more tricky, so I paid a mechanic £200 all in to replace that. Temperature went from around 68-69 degrees motorway cruising to about 82.

CODE READER
Required here is a code reader to read and clear the fault codes. I went down the line of an amazon purchase for about £50 but it didn't clear the codes. I also borrowed a cheaper one of a friend & that didn't work either. In the end I went with this one: BMW USB - OBD K + Dcan Diagnostic Cable Switched UK INPA DIS SSS NCS Coding https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271796230565. There is a good installation text file guide and the software supplied contains not only the code reading 'INPA' software, but the 'DIS' software that can give a live, more detailed readout including a DPF regen status (distance since last regen etc). Be careful with the cable that you buy, the first one I bought was for older cars & it didn't communicate with the OBD computer in the car.

All this sorted, but theory 1 was a fail. I reset the error codes and the dreaded light returned after 2 weeks.

Theory 2: EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve blocked or not functioning properly. The EGR valve is part of the same system & it crops up time and time again on this forum as a problem. It gets coked up and eventually stops functioning, starving the car (turbo I think) of the gas it needs. This throws another error which also prevents the car doing a DPF regen, giving the dreaded DPF light on the dash. I bought a genuine OEM part from europarts and fitted with the help of a friend for about £130. This has changed the way the car drives completely. I'm sure it must have gained about 30hp and was previously being starved by the coked up EGR. Photos below of the removed part:
[IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...pseuggrfga.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...pscdo4xbqp.jpg[/IMG]

I reset the codes using the laptop & cable and since then (2 and a half weeks & 800 miles) I've had no DPF bings and a much nicer car to drive. I'm not sure which was the root cause of the warning light but all in, I've spent less than £400 instead of £1K plus for a new DPF. The moral of the story is that the DPF light is a symptom of another problem in the system, therefore don't jump to replacing it as the problem will not disappear.

Additionally, the 'DIS' software on the laptop shows that the DPF is regenerating itself happily again (the reading below is in metres).
[IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...psbzaywooq.jpg[/IMG]

I'm sure someone will pull me up on the technicalities of why replacing these three components has solved the problem, but I wanted to share the whole experience as it will hopefully benefit others. A combination of other threads from this forum has enabled me to reach this point - so thanks to all.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2017, 04:03 PM   #5
marklemac
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d Coupe

Once the regen is finished (soot goes to zero), immediately it will start filling up quickly again. nothing to worry about.

ash will slowly buy surely go up (not down).

I'm on 153k miles, and my ash is currently at around 49gms.

My car regens regular as clockwork.
      05-08-2017, 02:22 PM   #6
Kaistar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklemac View Post
Once the regen is finished (soot goes to zero), immediately it will start filling up quickly again. nothing to worry about.

Ok, thanks for that.
Do your regens happen just on long motorway trips or do you get any local driving regens ?
My problem is that I don't get out for many long runs on the motorway tbh so it seems a bit counter productive to have to burn off a tenners worth of fuel just to push it into one.

I'm up to 35 gram soot now.
Bought the wrong car didn't I :S
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 11:57 PM   #7
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Quote:

Ok, thanks for that.
Do your regens happen just on long motorway trips or do you get any local driving regens ?
My problem is that I don't get out for many long runs on the motorway tbh so it seems a bit counter productive to have to burn off a tenners worth of fuel just to push it into one.

The DPF should regen passively as you drive around. However, this is where your thermostats are vital. If you do a lot of short trips you want the coolant temp to shoot up to circa 90c as soon as possible.

Also, this regeneration is only so effective and the soot will still gradually build up.

It's worth taking the car for a drive on a motorway / a road once a tank and make sure all the conditions for a regen are met.

My 330d is on £141k miles and still regents perfectly.
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2017, 12:42 AM   #8
marklemac
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ok, thanks for that.

My regens do happen around town too.

You won't burn off a tenners worth of fuel. The car just needs to be up to temp for it to do it.

Probably worth you investing in 'carly' and the adaptor then you can see the state of the dpf. If you also pay for the extra, you can then ask it to do a regen (subject to temp,conditions etc)
      05-22-2017, 01:30 PM   #9
Kaistar
Rep

Quote:
My regens do happen around town too.

You won't burn off a tenners worth of fuel. The car just needs to be up to temp for it to do it.

Probably worth you investing in 'carly' and the adaptor then you can see the state of the dpf. If you also pay for the extra, you can then ask it to do a regen (subject to temp,conditions etc)
Cheers for that, these regens just don't seem to be happening, maybe my journeys are too short.
Going for a decent run this weekend so I'll see what happens.
Carly, I have that (1'st post ) and request regens but as above, my journeys are too short.

Will let you know
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 05:09 PM   #10
Kaistar
Rep

Hokikoki then, here we go

Couldn't wait for the weekend so I slapped a a tenner in and requested a regen through Carly (again).
DPF Soot levels read 50.36g to start with.

Hit the motorway and kept it in 4th over 50mph for just over 30 mins and then the temperatures started to rise, JOY

Flicked Carly over to DPF mode and watched the soot levels drop steadily to this, happy days eh ;-)

So now then, I'm all happy and content and miles away from home so I turn around and head back.
20 miles later and the car is safely tucked up in bed and the reading is now this...

20.5 grams in just 20 miles ?
Is this normal ?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 06:18 AM   #11
marklemac
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hokikoki then, here we go

Couldn't wait for the weekend so I slapped a a tenner in and requested a regen through Carly (again).
DPF Soot levels read 50.36g to start with.

Hit the motorway and kept it in 4th over 50mph for just over 30 mins and then the temperatures started to rise, JOY

Flicked Carly over to DPF mode and watched the soot levels drop steadily to this, happy days eh ;-)

So now then, I'm all happy and content and miles away from home so I turn around and head back.
20 miles later and the car is safely tucked up in bed and the reading is now this...

20.5 grams in just 20 miles ?
Is this normal ?

Yep that's fine, as soon as it hits zero it starts increasing at a rate of knots. Don't worry, as long as it regens all is fine
      05-27-2017, 09:44 AM   #12
Kaistar
Rep

Wait and see if it regens now then eh.
Thanks for that
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 02:44 PM   #13
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

Bit of a thread revival here.

Had the dreaded yellow DPF warning pop up this week. So I shoved a bottle of Forte DPF treatment in and took it for a cruise down the A1 at a steady 60mph while a passenger was clearing the 480a fault code. 30 mins later passive regen done and 0g of soot. Happy days.

Now on my car I have no faults causing this so have been pondering the reason why.

Had a lightbulb moment today and realised as I have been working from home, I have been letting the tank run to the low fuel light, in other words have been running around on the last quarter of a tank. Normally I never do this and since doing it I have had the DPF issue.

So moral of the story don't run around on a low tank of fuel for too long as the car won't regen the DPF. Hope this may help someone who suffers a similar problem.

Last edited by Silver Streek; 02-08-2022 at 02:49 PM..
Appreciate 0