E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Rearview Mirror Clip Locations

05-12-2020, 01:27 AM   #1
robabruton
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335i, '10 E92 335i

Garage List
Post Rearview Mirror Clip Locations

I searched for quite some time in many different places for a diagram showing how the rearview mirror is held together. I still have not been able to find a picture or diagram, so I figured I'd add a couple pictures and maybe somebody will find them useful.

When taking the mirror apart, I used a small flathead screwdriver. The screwdriver did ever-so-slightly mar the plastic, but not in a way that is noticeable unless you're under the mirror looking for it. I might post some pics of the damage later, but seriously it's tiny. I imagine using tape might have prevented or reduced the marring, but I recommend using a plastic trim tool if you have one - I've been meaning to buy one but didn't have it on hand when I was trying to open the mirror. After getting the screwdriver in the gap, i used a medium-thickness, stiff guitar pick and slid the pick around the mirror to separate the housing. No clips broke during this process. It took me a little while as I was trying to be gentle (at least at first, haha). Anyways, here's the pictures!

FYI, there are three clips along the top and four along the bottom with one clip in each of the four corners.

Here's the mirror bezel. Red circles are pointing out the clip locations.

Here's the mirror body. Red circles point out the top three clips (sorry it's not a great picture).
Appreciate 1
Wolf 3352338.50
      06-01-2020, 03:41 PM   #2
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg e91, r53 Cooper S, e28 M5

Sweet... good to know... Ok so I'll ask the dumb question.... why???
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 01:46 AM   #3
robabruton
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335i, '10 E92 335i

Garage List
I haven't been on the forum in a while so my reply is a little bit late.. But I had to open the mirror to fix/realign a radar detector display that was embedded inside/behind the mirror. I don't have any pics of it inside the mirror but can post a picture of it when turned off and turned on if you're curious.

The display was either installed a little bit off or was knocked loose and half of the first character of the display was cut off from view when I sat properly in the driver's seat. I opened up the mirror to remove, reposition, and reinstall (just using hot glue) the display. There's a cutout in the reflective film inside the mirror where the display sits and shines through. It is not visible when off but can be seen when the display is running.
Appreciate 0