E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Relocating the OEM radio to the trunk to retain CHIMES w/ an aftermarket headunit

03-18-2014, 10:20 AM   #111
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfoster View Post
I think I do have the base system yes. I think I'm going to relocate the unit in the glovebox and splice / source the cables required for the unit seperately. Not worried about wiring / soldering etc (used to be an alarm fitter!). I'll spend tomorrow ripping it out to see what I actually have!
If you dont have anything on the MOST loop you can just take the stock headunit out. I didnt relocate mine and I have no errors. I just saved mine in case I ever need to take a trip to the stealership .
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 10:23 AM   #112
cfoster
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 335i Vert

Ah right ok, i think all I have is the standard CD player, sounds shit so cant be any amps etc!! Will I not lose the service schedule thing etc or my rear PDC?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #113
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Ah right ok, i think all I have is the standard CD player, sounds shit so cant be any amps etc!! Will I not lose the service schedule thing etc or my rear PDC?
You'd lose pdc. If your installing a double din you can use a rearview camera and you wont even need pdc.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 11:00 AM   #114
cfoster
Private
Rep

To be honest i'd like to keep the PDC as well as the camera (I have a Nissan Qashqai and the camera is awful!!!). I'll just move it all to the glovebox, run a small speaker from the glovebox HU, then rn my RCAs to the amps in the boot.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 11:02 AM   #115
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Quote:
To be honest i'd like to keep the PDC as well as the camera (I have a Nissan Qashqai and the camera is awful!!!). I'll just move it all to the glovebox, run a small speaker from the glovebox HU, then rn my RCAs to the amps in the boot.
I still think it would be easier to move the headunit to the trunk and use the right harnesses. You can connect the rear channels from the headunit to the rear deck speakers for your pdc. Whatever you end up doing it seems like you know what you have to do.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 11:06 AM   #116
cfoster
Private
Rep

I 'think' I know what I've got to do, I've just got to work out what and where! I am fabricating a box in the spare wheel well so need to keep that space free so havent looked into where to keep / locate the HU if I were to move it to the trunk.

Thank you for the advice though very much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #117
Bmw808HI
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 335i

Static Problem :(

Aloha,

Stereo upgrade and head unit relocation to the trunk was successful. The only issue that i have is static/loud hissing sound coming from aftermarket tweeters used for PDC and chimes. The tweeters are connected to a aftermarket amp and I have tried two, Alpine and Kenwood, and both produce static. All connections and Grounding checks good. Does anyone have the same issues? Should I remove the amp and run the tweeters straight to the OEM headunit in the trunk? I have read in earlier posts that without amp PDC/Chime volume is really low. Any help or guidance is appreciated

Thanks in Advance....
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #118
e90bmw328i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw808HI View Post
Aloha,

Stereo upgrade and head unit relocation to the trunk was successful. The only issue that i have is static/loud hissing sound coming from aftermarket tweeters used for PDC and chimes. The tweeters are connected to a aftermarket amp and I have tried two, Alpine and Kenwood, and both produce static. All connections and Grounding checks good. Does anyone have the same issues? Should I remove the amp and run the tweeters straight to the OEM headunit in the trunk? I have read in earlier posts that without amp PDC/Chime volume is really low. Any help or guidance is appreciated

Thanks in Advance....
I have read that using low level RCA outputs from the head unit is better as it provides better quality and no noise issues. Is that what you are doing too?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 03:09 PM   #119
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Aloha,

Thanks in Advance....
If you had the base(non amplified) stock system you can hook them up to the headunit. If you had hifi or logic 7 it would be a good idea to recode your headunit to the base system since it is only being used for chimes.

Here is another option if you don't want to use the stock headunit for chimes or pdc.
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/inst...sensor-adaptor
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 05:40 PM   #120
Bmw808HI
Rep

Low level RCA out put...

I used a low level RCA output and it produced a lot of static/hiss from tweeters. Amplifier didn't make the PDC/chime volume louder it jus produced static/hiss. Running the tweeters straight to the OEM head unit took away the static but left me with low volume for PDC/chimes. I have also used the plug and play unit from the UK and the volume for PDC is so loud it's deafening. Volume for PDC/chime cannot me controlled. I have a amplified system and it seems there's no in between. You only have really loud or really soft.

Last edited by Bmw808HI; 05-17-2014 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: Missing word
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 09:32 PM   #121
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I used a low level RCA output and it produced a lot of static/hiss from tweeters. Amplifier didn't make the PDC/chime volume louder it jus produced static/hiss. Running the tweeters straight to the OEM head unit took away the static but left me with low volume for PDC/chimes. I have also used the plug and play unit from the UK and the volume for PDC is so loud it's deafening. Volume for PDC/chime cannot me controlled. I have a amplified system and it seems there's no in between. You only have really loud or really soft.
2 options.

1. Use the stock headunit and recode it to base so you have speaker level outputs from the headunit.

2. Use the aftermarket pdc module for the rear speakers without amping them.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 01:03 PM   #122
BMWtony
Rep
Drives: Silver 328i

Question OEM HU in the trunk trick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
2 options.

1. Use the stock headunit and recode it to base so you have speaker level outputs from the headunit.

I am totally new to this site and really never posted to any forum but here goes I'm going to dive in.

I have a 2011 328i e90 I have been studying this discussion but still have a question on the MOST cables and the can bus wires. I installed an aftermarket HU about 3 months ago with can bus integration all plug and play and everything works good, steering wheel controls, it shows which doors are open, mpg,ect... No codes. But yesterday a message popped up twice "check gas cap" than the check engine light came on. So I took it to the dealer the tech cleared the check engine light (code P0442 minor evap leak. A glitch he said. I did tighten the cap. ) He wanted to reprogram the vehicle but was unable to “due to aftermarket audio equip. interfering with MOST bus communication.” So my question is will both OEM HU and aftermarket HU share the can bus If I do the OEM HU in the trunk trick? (MOST cables to OEM HU in trunk of course) The reason I am asking is tech said he could not get passed the aftermarket HU. The program could not identify the components like the bluetooth, Nav.,DVD. It told him to replace HU first.
Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Last edited by BMWtony; 05-22-2014 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 05:27 PM   #123
Titanium3Series
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWtony View Post
I am totally new to this site and really never posted to any forum but here goes I'm going to dive in.

I have a 2011 328i e90 I have been studying this discussion but still have a question on the MOST cables and the can bus wires. I installed an aftermarket HU about 3 months ago with can bus integration all plug and play and everything works good, steering wheel controls, it shows which doors are open, mpg,ect... No codes. But yesterday a message popped up twice "check gas cap" than the check engine light came on. So I took it to the dealer the tech cleared the check engine light (code P0442 minor evap leak. A glitch he said. I did tighten the cap. ) He wanted to reprogram the vehicle but was unable to “due to aftermarket audio equip. interfering with MOST bus communication.” So my question is will both OEM HU and aftermarket HU share the can bus If I do the OEM HU in the trunk trick? (MOST cables to OEM HU in trunk of course) The reason I am asking is tech said he could not get passed the aftermarket HU. The program could not identify the components like the bluetooth, Nav.,DVD. It told him to replace HU first.
Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
i have a dynavin that uses the canbus for steering wheel controls and display of vehicle metrics. I have my head unit relocated to the trunk running in the loop and it is still functional showing all the information it use to. So you should be able to run them both as i do and they should get the correct information.

I also code and have no problem coding my modules after the install
      07-06-2014, 03:45 AM   #124
Bmw808HI
Rep

Confirmation Please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
2 options.

** Can Anyone verify that if I recode the stock head unit, which is located in my trunk, that it will in fact make my PDC volume and chimes louder? Will I still need a after market amp with low level out puts or can I run straight from deck to speakers? **
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 11:23 PM   #125
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

I used a connects2 harness (http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/conne...l#.Uq1_pxYx_zI this exact one) and everything's working perfectly, PDC, all 'bongs', absolutely no issues, no lights, nothing..

haven't tried with the full processor+amps setup, but can't see it not working, head unit will just send out the signal like it already does. It doesn't care about what's connected, just sends out sounds. (and it's silly to amplify the rear speakers, they'll be kept running off the head unit/actory wired.)

Last edited by flinchy; 07-23-2014 at 12:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 09:41 PM   #126
lcassinelli
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

alright so im just trying to put a dynavin d99 in my logic7. i just need to wire the stock hu in the trunk with the optical cables and other pins. the dynavin will plug into the speakers. sound does not flow through the oem unit to the dynavin but the optic cables are just to turn on the amp. right?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 09:46 PM   #127
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

The dynavin N6 is the only Head Unit that will work

The dynavin N6 is the only Head Unit that will work
with the L7 amplifier and you have to buy a adaptor
from dynavin to make that happen. I don't know if the
adaptor will work with other Head Units you will have to talk
to dynavin about it.
Basically you have to ditch the L7 amp with any Head Unit other
than the N6 as far as I know.
The optic cables are part of the Most Bus other things can attach to
it such as PDC or BMW Sos and phone control.
By not using the OEM amp your sound quality will suffer as the stock amp
in the L7 system has 9 channels as oposed to the 4 channels coming out
of the dynavin head unit. If you are going to do this you should get the N6
and the proper adapter.

Last edited by ctuna; 10-20-2014 at 09:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 04:20 AM   #128
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
And with the N6 there is no need to relocate the factory HU for any reason...

N6 includes built in chimes for regular alerts & PDC as OEM with adjustable volume on each, that sounds very close to the OEM chime tone & it operates off the CanBus.

I have coded many items AFTER N6 install with no factory HU in the circuit & everything codes/works as before
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 08:57 PM   #129
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
I used a connects2 harness (http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/conne...l#.Uq1_pxYx_zI this exact one) and everything's working perfectly, PDC, all 'bongs', absolutely no issues, no lights, nothing..

haven't tried with the full processor+amps setup, but can't see it not working, head unit will just send out the signal like it already does. It doesn't care about what's connected, just sends out sounds. (and it's silly to amplify the rear speakers, they'll be kept running off the head unit/actory wired.)
If you go with an aftermarket amp/processor you will have to use the RCA outputs instead of speaker level outputs. I'd suggest leaving the rear speakers unamped.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 09:06 PM   #130
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

I was told the dynavin will not allow the dealer to code your car like the stock headunit. Not like you should be going to the dealership anyways. I would be impressed if it did, and I'm surprised it doesn't considering it is already connected to both the most bus and can bus.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 10:25 PM   #131
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

You need an elaborate spoofing setup

You need an elaborate spoofing setup to get passed this.
The dealership program(ista/p) is an all or nothing black box.
It goes through the whole car and looks at every factory or
BMW installed modules and its not there it chokes.
If there are other modules that attached to radio it looks for those
to.
For example when I took my car in for the seat sensor retrofit they
reprogrammed the whole car.
With a coding setup you just talk to the individual modules.

Last edited by ctuna; 10-21-2014 at 10:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 02:39 AM   #132
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
^^^ This ^^^

My car is 09' there are no important updates for my car that are needed to be installed by the dealer at this point.

If the need ever arises for the dealer to HAVE to do some type of coding for a REPAIR - I have the stock HU on a shelf that I can swap back in about 5min

Much easier than going to all the trouble of wiring factory HU somewhere else in the car in the small chance that maybe someday the dealer will have to code...

Any individual coding I do is not affected
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0