Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > TPMS Sensors on 2010 produced in 2009

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-13-2015, 01:22 PM   #1
djy5005
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i xDrive

TPMS Sensors on 2010 produced in 2009

I've been looking at tons of posts about TPMS sensors, and there seems to be a gap in knowledge for any 2010 LCI models that were produced between 9/2009 and 9/2010.

I've read multiple posts which state that the "newer" TPMS sensors were implemented in models produced on or after 10/2010. I've also seen conflicting posts stating that any 2010 model should utilize the new sensors.

That said, I recently had my wheels upgraded and transferred the previous wheel's sensors to the new rims (I'm looking for some sensors for my winter tires). Based on what I saw at the shop, it looked like it was the older model black sensors, but I am not too sure. That said, I can't seem to get any conclusive evidence that the older sensors were used on the early 2010 models.

Production date for my car is 2009-10-23. According to the BMW VIN decoder sheet, I have a S2VBA tire pressure display, the S8SPA Control Unit COP, and S876A Radio Freq (315MHz), though this last number doesn't seem like it's the same freq for the TPMS sensors. Not sure if there's any other info that would help determine which sensors I would need.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 05:40 PM   #2
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by djy5005 View Post
I've been looking at tons of posts about TPMS sensors, and there seems to be a gap in knowledge for any 2010 LCI models that were produced between 9/2009 and 9/2010.

I've read multiple posts which state that the "newer" TPMS sensors were implemented in models produced on or after 10/2010. I've also seen conflicting posts stating that any 2010 model should utilize the new sensors.

That said, I recently had my wheels upgraded and transferred the previous wheel's sensors to the new rims (I'm looking for some sensors for my winter tires). Based on what I saw at the shop, it looked like it was the older model black sensors, but I am not too sure. That said, I can't seem to get any conclusive evidence that the older sensors were used on the early 2010 models.

Production date for my car is 2009-10-23. According to the BMW VIN decoder sheet, I have a S2VBA tire pressure display, the S8SPA Control Unit COP, and S876A Radio Freq (315MHz), though this last number doesn't seem like it's the same freq for the TPMS sensors. Not sure if there's any other info that would help determine which sensors I would need.

Any thoughts?
I'm unclear on what you're actually trying to find out/accomplish here.

Are you trying to find out if the old sensors will work with your car or are you trying to purchase new sensors that will work with your current car?

In either case, state the model year of the car. Actual build date is irrelevant for 2008-2011 model year 328xi sedans. Just need to know the model year of car.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 07:09 PM   #3
djy5005
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary@TireRack View Post
I'm unclear on what you're actually trying to find out/accomplish here.

Are you trying to find out if the old sensors will work with your car or are you trying to purchase new sensors that will work with your current car?

In either case, state the model year of the car. Actual build date is irrelevant for 2008-2011 model year 328xi sedans. Just need to know the model year of car.
The model year of the car is a 2010. What I'm trying to do is buy new sensors for some winter tires, but like I said, there is conflicting information about when the tire sensors changed per the production date of that model year vehicle.

For example, almost all websites where you can purchase the TPMS sensors state that the applicable sensors are the "orange" ones for the 2010 model year and above for E90 models.

However, when I recently got the wheels changed over, I happened to see that the sensor looked black. That said, I wasn't extremely close, and I am not sure if that is rubber/dust or anything like that, but it sure looked like it didn't have any orange around it (especially since they were mounted to black rims, and I saw no contrast). These are also factory rims, and would not be aftermarket.

Since my car was the first portion of LCI models made (it has the first CIC consoles where you can't upgrade Nav/Maps through USB), I was wondering if these models retained the previous E90 NON-LCI TPMS sensors until the refresh of the consoles in early 2010 production models.

Hopefully this makes more sense now, or at least gives you insight as to why I'd be confused.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2015, 09:43 AM   #4
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djy5005 View Post
The model year of the car is a 2010. What I'm trying to do is buy new sensors for some winter tires, but like I said, there is conflicting information about when the tire sensors changed per the production date of that model year vehicle.

For example, almost all websites where you can purchase the TPMS sensors state that the applicable sensors are the "orange" ones for the 2010 model year and above for E90 models.

However, when I recently got the wheels changed over, I happened to see that the sensor looked black. That said, I wasn't extremely close, and I am not sure if that is rubber/dust or anything like that, but it sure looked like it didn't have any orange around it (especially since they were mounted to black rims, and I saw no contrast). These are also factory rims, and would not be aftermarket.

Since my car was the first portion of LCI models made (it has the first CIC consoles where you can't upgrade Nav/Maps through USB), I was wondering if these models retained the previous E90 NON-LCI TPMS sensors until the refresh of the consoles in early 2010 production models.

Hopefully this makes more sense now, or at least gives you insight as to why I'd be confused.
There is just one TPMS sensor part # that is used for all 2010 model year 328i cars. They should say "RDE012" on the sensor. We sell them $49 each without stems, $57 each with stems. As long as you have a 2010 model year vehicle, this is the sensor to buy.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2016, 10:37 PM   #5
martinblair
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i Touring

Garage List
Thanks for clarifying this Gary, I was going to ask the same question. My 2010 was produced in 09/09 and a number of sites aren't clear about the cut off. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 09:12 AM   #6
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep

Glad to be of help!

Unfortunately many make the issue more complicated than needed. Forget about terms like "LCI", "Pre LCI", chassis codes, etc... in the majority of cases, the model year and model of car is all that is required to determine fitment. In some rare cases a build date is needed (such as for 2014 model years) but almost never.

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 09:12 AM   #7
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep

Glad to be of help!

Unfortunately many make the issue more complicated than needed. Forget about terms like "LCI", "Pre LCI", chassis codes, etc... in the majority of cases, the model year and model of car is all that is required to determine fitment. In some rare cases a build date is needed (such as for 2014 model years) but almost never.

Appreciate 0