E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > DIY Downpipe Install on 335xi - Almost but not quite

07-16-2015, 08:41 AM   #89
Bladerunner
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

Bringing back this old thread, maybe it was mentioned in the thread and I missed it but is an alignment necessary if i drop the sub-frame for this install?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 09:50 AM   #90
fredcase
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw=trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
Bringing back this old thread, maybe it was mentioned in the thread and I missed it but is an alignment necessary if i drop the sub-frame for this install?
not needed, but wouldn't hurt. I used this diy, took me about 8hrs
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2016, 03:17 AM   #91
TheRealStoph
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 335xi Coupe

I have a question about the subframe drop. I removed the 10 bolts in order to drop the subframe a few inches and was fine. I was able to get in new VRSF downpipes. I have the car on a lift instead of Jack stands and the engine is supported by an engine support bar. My subframe seems to be out of alignment now and has shifted forward from their screw in positions. How do I get them back in alignment? Could I just drive the car forward a little bit until it aligns back up? Or should I try and Jack up the front and see if that allows more play with the subframe. I'd really appreciate the help, this is quite the problem, especially since everyone said the drop was easy to put in and take out. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 07:20 AM   #92
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 07 335xi Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealStoph View Post
I have a question about the subframe drop. I removed the 10 bolts in order to drop the subframe a few inches and was fine. I was able to get in new VRSF downpipes. I have the car on a lift instead of Jack stands and the engine is supported by an engine support bar. My subframe seems to be out of alignment now and has shifted forward from their screw in positions. How do I get them back in alignment? Could I just drive the car forward a little bit until it aligns back up? Or should I try and Jack up the front and see if that allows more play with the subframe. I'd really appreciate the help, this is quite the problem, especially since everyone said the drop was easy to put in and take out. Thanks.
Did you remove the 4 bolts connected to the engine mounts? Iv never have a problem. I use a stand from harbor friehgt to hold it up. Pictures might help us better understand your issue
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 10:10 AM   #93
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Well don't drive it. I used a hydraulic jack to get it close to level and then a pry bar to move it around a bit an lined up. Loosely bolt up the big 6 bolts. Then lowered the engine with a jack under it, and had to push the engine around a bit side-to-side to get the motor mount holes to line up.

Since you pull the back of the subframe down most to install the DP's, and the tubing/hoses/pipes etc. (and the struts) holding it on and keeping it from falling all the way off are towards the front, it will tend to migrate a little to the front.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 07:16 AM   #94
328<335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Hey guys - can comeone shed some light on the alignment pin please? I'm installing my downpipes next weekend and will be dropping the subframe. Is this the alignment pin that makes the subframe line up easier? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/crankshaft-alignment-pin/83300495070/

Thanks in advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG335Xi View Post
Did this yesterday - thanks to everybody who contributed to this thread.

You'll probably want to get an alignment pin to line the subframe back up, it helped us ALOT... there wasn't a lot of safe places otherwise to pry the subframe back into place.

My VRSF pipes might be slightly "bad" as far as the bends... I couldn't get them configured in a way that met "all" of the requirements, the pipes ended up touching one one point... doesn't seem to be causing a problem though.

Did you guys have "Smelly" fumes from the PB Blaster burning off the exhaust like I do? I'm hoping that's all the "smell" is... and not a leak.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 12:55 PM   #95
deadmn1337
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328<335 View Post
Hey guys - can comeone shed some light on the alignment pin please? I'm installing my downpipes next weekend and will be dropping the subframe. Is this the alignment pin that makes the subframe line up easier? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...n/83300495070/

Thanks in advance!
The alignment pin could help but I just use a screwdriver and have never had any problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 01:07 PM   #96
328<335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Good enough! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmn1337 View Post
The alignment pin could help but I just use a screwdriver and have never had any problems.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 10:51 PM   #97
meekz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

UGH. Tried doing this today but broke off a motor mount screw (the e12 that connects the motor mount to the subframe) so we were unable to drop the subframe. Anyone know where to get a replacement screw? Im thinking im just going to bring it into a shop and have them do the rest sadly.
Appreciate 0