E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMW swap 1JZ/2JZ

09-05-2018, 05:32 PM   #1
Kyle320i
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320

BMW swap 1JZ/2JZ

My friends, i have this bmw f30 2013. I've got the car about 4 years, now. I did a lot of things on this car and now i wanna make a swap, put a 1jz gte vvti, on it. So i've been seen some videos on YouTube, and i never found a f30 swap, just saw e90, e92 swaps for 1jz/2jz. The question is, can i keep the original automatic transmission or i'll have swap the transmission tô? I saw a guy that keep the automatic transmission, after the swap and everything works Nice. Someone can help ? For some that's crazy, but i don't want them opinion. I want the opinion of who can help with the question. I think we're all here tô help each other and we can respect everyones Project.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 08:06 PM   #2
JuniorB
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 e60 525 N54

Well, your not going to find that answer here. The 6hp19, isn't the first choice for a high power trans, that answer you will get from everyone tho. This is a big project, as there are a lot of modules that talk to each other to make this dam car move. Depending on your power goals, the whole drivetrain will have to be modified in some way, shape, or form.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 08:54 PM   #3
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

What if you bought a Supra with a BMW trim or a BMW with a Toyota-influenced build? No? Just a concept...whoops...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 09:03 PM   #4
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

The only engine I ever dream about swapping into my 328 is a LT1 cause I must have n/a lol

That would be better than the e92 m3... 450hp... 450tq... proven Clevite rod bearings

Last edited by Biginboca; 09-05-2018 at 09:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      09-06-2018, 07:21 AM   #5
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
What if you bought a Supra with a BMW trim or a BMW with a Toyota-influenced build? No? Just a concept...whoops...
Zpost member journal
https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1286408
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 07:47 AM   #6
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

As Hass would say - if you have to ask, you can't do it.

A member on Zpost put a 2JZ in a Z4 coupe:

Appreciate 1
      09-06-2018, 11:27 AM   #7
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Quote:
Zpost member journal
Damn, people are amazing. Not even sure where to begin to keep the electrical in order.

...Turbo sounded like a damn air raid siren!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 02:38 PM   #8
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

^ That build is wild....
If my OCD would chill the F out, I'd love to have a garage queen to tackle that with...
Checking everything 20x over and such because if I dont the Hadron collider makes a blackhole and the Sun goes supernova simultaneously.

To be frank, alot of guys here are well versed in the n52/n51 side of things...
Not necessarily your platform. But for all I know, there could be a SME in here who can say yes or no about trying to put that much power through that drivetrain. If it is indeed the 320i drivetrain, I am sure it wouldn't hold up like the z4 owners' setup.

BPC may have gotten it to not blow up with their turbo build on the n52b25 their project car came equipped with. However, they did (If I recall correctly) shred the teeth off of 4th gear. Same could be said about the 320's transmission, it could probably hold on for a little bit, but it is in fact the "commuter of all commuters" base model here in the U.S. (I am unsure of its stature in Brasil.) and with that being said, I would not bank on it being a reliable portion of the drivetrain. And hoping you're well versed with fabrication, I dont think they make an adapter to match that transmission yet, and thats some money, too... To reinforce what Junior said, ALOT is probably gonna have to get swapped to make it happen.

This is all 2 cents, out of my ass and all. Just pure speculation as always...
Be that f30 w/ that killer swap...
Most importantly:
DO NOT CUT CORNERS.

Never works out in the long run... Maybe temporarily... But if you want to throw that money, it would suck to see you screw yourself. 10/10.
      09-06-2018, 02:49 PM   #9
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Most importantly:
DO NOT CUT CORNERS.

Never works out in the long run... Maybe temporarily... But if you want to throw that money, it would suck to see you screw yourself. 10/10.
I've seen someone try and JB Weld a oil tap on an SR20DE(+T) - garrett turbo was added and against my warnings, JB Weld was used to try and fix the bung that had sheared off.

Much oil loss ensued daily for a few weeks (with liters replaced daily) until I hear about a rod creating a hole the size of a baseball on the freeway. Anyway, so yeah, no shortcuts

But tranny I would just find a way to swap completely with something more mated and bulletproof.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 02:54 PM   #10
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But tranny I would just find a way to swap completely with something more mated and bulletproof.
YIKES.
That is wild!!!

I definitely agree with that statement.
I wouldn't want to bring a knife to a gunfight.
      09-06-2018, 06:54 PM   #11
Kyle320i
Rep

Quote:
^ That build is wild....
If my OCD would chill the F out, I'd love to have a garage queen to tackle that with...
Checking everything 20x over and such because if I dont the Hadron collider makes a blackhole and the Sun goes supernova simultaneously.

Not necessarily your platform. But for all I know, there could be a SME in here who can say yes or no about trying to put that much power through that drivetrain. If it is indeed the 320i drivetrain, I am sure it wouldn't hold up like the z4 owners' setup.

BPC may have gotten it to not blow up with their turbo build on the n52b25 their project car came equipped with. However, they did (If I recall correctly) shred the teeth off of 4th gear. Same could be said about the 320's transmission, it could probably hold on for a little bit, but it is in fact the "commuter of all commuters" base model here in the U.S. (I am unsure of its stature in Brasil.) and with that being said, I would not bank on it being a reliable portion of the drivetrain. And hoping you're well versed with fabrication, I dont think they make an adapter to match that transmission yet, and thats some money, too... To reinforce what Junior said, ALOT is probably gonna have to get swapped to make it happen.

Most importantly:
DO NOT CUT CORNERS.

Thank you for answer

So, i just was asking about keep the original transmission, because i saw someone doing, but making another research, i think i will swap the transmission tô. What gear box do you guys recomend? R154 ? I saw something about ter 350z gearbox, the CD009. What you guys recomend ?

Before you guys answer, you're got to consider, that here in Brasil, a Honda Civic is a cool car really!! We have crap cars. Here we don't have a lot of people working in BMW, Mercedes, JDMs and etc. Just the rich ( and when i say rich, is RICH ) guys have the gtrs, supra, 240sx, rx7. Im making my best tô search for information and try tô see if that swap is possible, because i don't have people tô talk about it. So if i say something wrong, just don't care. Im trying to learn with you guys. The guys in BMW Brasil forum said " you're crazy, don't do that ", they said a lot of sh*t and the car is mine and i do what i want. If the swap is dont work, i'll just give up and build a e36. But i want i the f30. Is a dream
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 06:56 PM   #12
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle320i View Post
Quote:
^ That build is wild....

Most importantly:
DO NOT CUT CORNERS.

Thank you for answer

So, i just was asking about keep the original transmission, because i saw someone doing, but making another research, i think i will swap the transmission tô. What gear box do you guys recomend? R154 ? I saw something about ter 350z gearbox, the CD009. What you guys recomend ?

Before you guys answer, you're got to consider, that here in Brasil, a Honda Civic is a cool car really!! We have crap cars. Here we don't have a lot of people working in BMW, Mercedes, JDMs and etc. Just the rich ( and when i say rich, is RICH ) guys have the gtrs, supra, 240sx, rx7. Im making my best tô search for information and try tô see if that swap is possible, because i don't have people tô talk about it. So if i say something wrong, just don't care. Im trying to learn with you guys. The guys in BMW Brasil forum said " you're crazy, don't do that ", they said a lot of sh*t and the car is mine and i do what i want. If the swap is dont work, i'll just give up and build a e36. But i want i the f30. Is a dream
I'd enjoy the classy f30 you got.. then build a naaaaasty e36
      09-06-2018, 07:20 PM   #13
Kyle320i
Rep

Quote:
I'd enjoy the classy f30 you got.. then build a naaaaasty e36
Maaaaan, im walking to give up but when i look the car, and imagine the JZ sound...i dont know, i just wanted...im in e90's fórum, because i saw a lot e90's 1JZ swaps
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      09-10-2018, 08:21 PM   #14
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 325i 6spd

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
actually he meant this swap
Attached Images