E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 335i (N54) Won't Start When Warm

09-04-2018, 04:26 PM   #1
Will 335
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

E90 335i (N54) Won't Start When Warm

So the car starts just fine when cold and when left alone for over an hour. However, it won't start, for example, if I drive to a store and stay for a bit then drive to another store and stay for about half an hour. No crank but all lights and electronics work. I have to leave it there for over an hour for it to barely crank. Can't really figure out why. Also, sometimes on cold start all the ABS and transmission lights will come on. I turn it off then on and they go away and the car runs just fine. Very odd to me. My guess (and hope) is that I just need a new battery but I've heard it could be IBS or my starter. Thanks for looking.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 09:20 AM   #2
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

have you replaced your cps sensor yet? i had a similar issue with my mercedes, turned out to be dying cps sensor.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 05:49 PM   #3
Will 335
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
have you replaced your cps sensor yet? i had a similar issue with my mercedes, turned out to be dying cps sensor.
Crankshaft position sensor right? I haven't yet but I guess that could be it too. Damn so many possibilities lol gets me to work, school and home just fine just sucks having to plan out trips where I need to stay more than an hour or else I'm stranded.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 10:26 AM   #4
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will 335 View Post
Crankshaft position sensor right? I haven't yet but I guess that could be it too. Damn so many possibilities lol gets me to work, school and home just fine just sucks having to plan out trips where I need to stay more than an hour or else I'm stranded.

correct. European Crank sensors like to fail...i dunno why. On my mercedes anything valeo or bosch broke. All the parts that were reliable on my mercedes at the time was american or japanese lol.

Anyways, its relatively cheap part so might be worth it to give it a shot.

But fastest way is just pull the code. The e92/e90 canbus system is pretty good at telling you what exactly is failing or not working, everything else is just a guess.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 01:09 PM   #5
Makoa6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E90 MT6spd 4door

Quote:
So the car starts just fine when cold and when left alone for over an hour. However, it won't start, for example, if I drive to a store and stay for a bit then drive to another store and stay for about half an hour. No crank but all lights and electronics work. I have to leave it there for over an hour for it to barely crank. Can't really figure out why. Also, sometimes on cold start all the ABS and transmission lights will come on. I turn it off then on and they go away and the car runs just fine. Very odd to me. My guess (and hope) is that I just need a new battery but I've heard it could be IBS or my starter. Thanks for looking.
do you have any codes stored in the dme? Id, check that first. Usually you would have a code if your crankshaft sensor or any sensor is bad. If no codes are stored, I'd look into how old is your battery? When was it last changed?

Just me thinking out loudly and I could be wrong. You stated that when your car is cold or left alone, car starts fine. But if you drive (short distance) for instance-store to store, your car has a hard time starting or cranking? you also mentioned that most times, if you let it sit, it starts. I would check my battery. also, when youre having a hard time starting the car, I would check the batteries CCA(cold cranking amps output). Could be that battery is not putting out the full cca=cold cranking amps to start car. Would this make sense, after making all those short trips the cars alternator cant charge the battery to put out enough cranking amps because its to weak???
Im curious to know what was the problem on this. keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 04:26 PM   #6
Will 335
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makoa6 View Post
do you have any codes stored in the dme? Id, check that first. Usually you would have a code if your crankshaft sensor or any sensor is bad. If no codes are stored, I'd look into how old is your battery? When was it last changed?

Just me thinking out loudly and I could be wrong. You stated that when your car is cold or left alone, car starts fine. But if you drive (short distance) for instance-store to store, your car has a hard time starting or cranking? you also mentioned that most times, if you let it sit, it starts. I would check my battery. also, when youre having a hard time starting the car, I would check the batteries CCA(cold cranking amps output). Could be that battery is not putting out the full cca=cold cranking amps to start car. Would this make sense, after making all those short trips the cars alternator cant charge the battery to put out enough cranking amps because its to weak???
Thanks for your input. Well it's not always short distances but I pretty much only get 1 start when I go out no matter what lol it won't crank at all but the electronics work. I just have to I leave it for about an hour then it starts up like normal. I went and got my battery and alternator checked and the alternator tested at 14. The battery however, tested at about 10 when it's supposed to be at 12 volts. Haven't checked for codes for the crankshaft sensor but it just seems very odd to me. I figured with a bad sensor or weak battery, the car shouldn't start, period. Or at least have a ton of lights or issues
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 04:44 PM   #7
Makoa6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E90 MT6spd 4door

Quote:
Thanks for your input. Well it's not always short distances but I pretty much only get 1 start when I go out no matter what lol it won't crank at all but the electronics work. I just have to I leave it for about an hour then it starts up like normal. I went and got my battery and alternator checked and the alternator tested at 14. The battery however, tested at about 10 when it's supposed to be at 12 volts. Haven't checked for codes for the crankshaft sensor but it just seems very odd to me. I figured with a bad sensor or weak battery, the car shouldn't start, period. Or at least have a ton of lights or issues
glad you went to get your charging/battery system tested. Looks like the test results points to a bad battery. Your charging system seems to be fine at 14v but your battery showed 10 volts which is low. That would explain why it wont start after do stop and goes.
so with that test, what are you going to do? Are you planning on changing out the battery? If so, try to match what you have in your car so all you have to do is register it to your DME (computer) so it resets and record the date of change. If changing to a different size battery i.e. 790cc to 850cc and ah(amp hour) differ, you will need to configure these changes.

also, just a side note, if you battery WAS good, my next step would be to check your starter. But since your battery is showing bad, I'd highly recommend you changing it. Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 10:32 AM   #8
Bali
E46 Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 E84 F15

Quote:
got my battery and alternator checked and the alternator tested at 14. The battery however, tested at about 10 volts when it's supposed to be at 12 volts...
Your battery is bad, go buy a new one. It needs to be at 12.4V or higher.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 04:35 PM   #9
Will 335
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
glad you went to get your charging/battery system tested. Looks like the test results points to a bad battery. Your charging system seems to be fine at 14v but your battery showed 10 volts which is low. That would explain why it wont start after do stop and goes.
so with that test, what are you going to do? Are you planning on changing out the battery? If so, try to match what you have in your car so all you have to do is register it to your DME (computer) so it resets and record the date of change. If changing to a different size battery i.e. 790cc to 850cc and ah(amp hour) differ, you will need to configure these changes.

also, just a side note, if you battery WAS good, my next step would be to check your starter. But since your battery is showing bad, I'd highly recommend you changing it. Hope this helps
Yeah well one way or another, I have to change the battery. I'm going to change it and hopefully it solves the problem which I'm sure it will. If it does, then great. If not, then it's probably the starter or crankshaft sensor.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 07:47 PM   #10
Will 335
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Update! Finally changed my battery today and...car starts up every time Going to get it registered later this week but it seems like she's all good. Even start ups feel a bit different. Thanks for all your help and I hope someone finds this helpful. Now off to find my coolant leak
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 08:08 PM   #11
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Glad you got it fixed! And as you found out, these newer BMW's do some very weird and sporadic things when the battery starts failing. Get it registered ASAP, as I had some weird errors codes pop up after a week or so of not having the new battery registered and coded.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 08:38 PM   #12
ckanderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

So crank position sensors do tend to fail that way. They don't provide a signal when heat soaked, but when they cool off they work.

But yea, these cars with all the computers do act really interesting when battery voltage is low.

Glad to hear you got it fixed for cheap
Appreciate 0