E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Installing Power Folding Mirrors with Autodimming feature

08-08-2015, 12:29 PM   #89
Pilot1981
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d xdrive lci

in last FRM3 there isn't a value to change to enable LIN BUS?

I found this in FRM3:

ASP_NO_SPIEGEL_LIN_START not enabled

In NCSDUMMY I don't find translation, so I need to enable also it?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 10:10 AM   #90
KHEETHEM
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F30 318d - E93 335i

Swap to LCI versions

Actually I do have all the function on my car (memory seats, auto folding, auto dimming, park function etc) and they have the 5pins connector

My car is a PRE LCI e93 from 04/2008

I want to go to the LCI mirrors in stead of the PRE LCI's.

Are these compatible, knowing that I want to keep all functions except the dimming function?

Are 3pin LCI versions okay to do this?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 10:43 AM   #91
cally4x4
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

I've been searching the Internet for ages for info on wiring mods needed to install folding mirrors on non memory seats but it seems to be the worlds best kept secret so many people say they have done loads of mirror retrofits but once asked how they run for the hills is there no one out there who will share
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 10:50 AM   #92
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cally4x4 View Post
I've been searching the Internet for ages for info on wiring mods needed to install folding mirrors on non memory seats but it seems to be the worlds best kept secret so many people say they have done loads of mirror retrofits but once asked how they run for the hills is there no one out there who will share
Or we've done swaps where the wiring was already in place and only required coding.

I certainly would have provided any help if I had to rewire my retrofitting of LCI power folding mirrors to my non-LCI manual fold E90, but it was basically a bolt-on followed by coding.
      05-18-2016, 10:56 AM   #93
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sport

Garage List
...I should add that it might be helpful for you to compare the wiring schematic of your vehicle to one with power-folding mirrors. Specifically, you want to see if the same color-coded wires are in place and to the same pin positions. If there is no difference, then it should be a bolt-on plus coding.

The old online WDS via BMW-Planet appears to no longer work, but try this: http://www.bmwtech.ru/wds/
      05-18-2016, 11:34 AM   #94
cally4x4
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augster View Post
...I should add that it might be helpful for you to compare the wiring schematic of your vehicle to one with power-folding mirrors. Specifically, you want to see if the same color-coded wires are in place and to the same pin positions. If there is no difference, then it should be a bolt-on plus coding.

The old online WDS via BMW-Planet appears to no longer work, but try this: http://www.bmwtech.ru/wds/
Cheers for the link dude
I wasn't moaning about anyone in my last post just that's there is so much info out there for the folding mirrors and the coding but it always stops once it gets to the wiring lol
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 11:43 AM   #95
djerik
Denmark
Rep
Drives: E91 LCI 320D 2009

Garage List
Quote:
I did a hybrid installation using both standard wires (inside left door) and modified wires (cabin to doors and inside right door). I did not make my own notes, but combined info from existing sources. WDS is very useful here. As a shortcut to WDS you could see this guys pictures, the last picture show the pin number for the lin bus wires that is missing in a non-memory car as yours.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...VR2M0Y3Q1pIOTQ
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 11:50 AM   #96
cally4x4
Rep

Thanks I'm just installing Windows onto a laptop to view the wds website
Thanks for the reply and info guys I haven't ordered the mirrors yet in fear I'd get the wrong ones I'd like to get the lci ones for a better rear view and to fit in with the planned lci front end conversion
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 12:45 PM   #97
djerik
Denmark
Rep

Garage List
More ISTA/WDS screenshots
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Notesforinstallations.pdf (281.7 KB, 1333 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 01:49 PM   #98
cally4x4
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djerik View Post
More ISTA/WDS screenshots
Thanks djerik
Is that a model with folding mirrors?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 01:56 PM   #99
djerik
Denmark
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks djerik
Is that a model with folding mirrors?
I remember it as wiring diagrams matching a LCI with folding mirrors
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 02:39 PM   #100
thesanchez
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D

Well a massive thanks to Jose_JN and Augster for their input in this thread. After AGES trying to get this to work and messing around with Carly/crappy ebay cables I finally got this retrofit up and running on my car by using a proper cable and their easy to follow steps. Massive thanks to both of you for your input.

Last edited by thesanchez; 06-24-2016 at 06:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 08:50 AM   #101
WonderBang
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport, Pre LCI

Awesome guide I'll be using it later today
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 12:25 AM   #102
Dntone1491
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augster View Post
I finally got around to retrofitting the power/heated/dimming mirrors (LCI version) and these are the coding changes I performed (in conjunction with a dimming interior mirror):

VO
  • Fold-in Outsider Mirror: $313
  • Interior/Outside Mirror with Automatic Dip: $430
  • Interior Mirror with Automatic-Dip: $431

NFRM
  • Folding Outside Mirrors: SPIEGEL_EINKLAPPEN = aktiv
  • Automatic Electrochromatic Dimming Mirror: SPIEGEL_ELEKTROCHROM = aktiv
  • Outside Mirrors Heating: SPIEGEL_HEIZUNG = aktiv
  • Comfort Closing Folding Outside Mirrors: SPIEGEL_KOMFORT_EINKLAPP = aktiv

CAS
  • Comfort Opening with Remote Control: KOMFORTOEFFNUNG_FB = aktiv
  • Comfort Closing with Remote Control: KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB = aktiv

FZD
  • Automatic Electrochromatic Dimming Mirror: EC_SPIEGEL = aktiv

For the Comfort Closing with Remote Control, the mirrors will power fold only after holding the Lock button for the prescribed amount of time. The mirrors will automatically unfold the moment the car is unlocked. Cool stuff!

I did notice that the driver's mirror appears somewhat curved and thus slightly distorts the reflection enough that it sometimes causes my vision to seem crossed. Not sure if this convex curvature is normal with the LCI version, heated glass, both, or perhaps the used glass is defective in some way. My original non-heated pre-LCI mirror is flat with no distortion.

BTW, since I have a sedan, I had to remove the door panels in order to remove the tweeter covers since they are integrated with the wrap-around window frame trim cover.
Ok so I followed this step by step and can't get some code to appear. The code in the NFRM does not show. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 05:29 AM   #103
b1nd
Rep
Drives: e90 2005 320i

Hello.
Does anybody know what number this PIN have? I'm searching the internet but I can't find out that.

Last edited by b1nd; 02-24-2018 at 06:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 08:27 PM   #104
n2siast
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-SPORT

Great guide. Just completed this today and everything works great. Almost plug and play.

One thing is that I didn't have to get a new switch. I reused my old switch, it had the function for power folding, but not the physical button. I took the bezel off of the switch, carefully with a flat knife, then drill a hole where the button would go and found a button from another switch I had, popped the button in the hole where I drilled and it worked. Saved over $100 not having to buy a new switch.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 07:37 AM   #105
E91-330i-M-Sport
Rep
Drives: E91 330i M Sport

I’m currently buying the bits I need to have power folding mirrors and today received the switch, which was advertised as new but is clearly not.
It looks in overall good condition so I thought I may as well keep it, but thought I’d better test it works.
I plugged it in and nothing worked, windows or the standard mirror adjustment. I’ve not fitted the mirrors yet as I want to get the bases painted first, and not done the coding part yet until all the bits are ready.

So my question is, should the power folding mirror/window switch work without being coded, or does everything operate differently and need the LIN bus enabled?

Hope that I’ve explained it properly, help would be much appreciated as I don’t know whether I need to send this switch back.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 07:58 AM   #106
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

best way is to check using diagnostic software if it is working
and after that code options needed
      03-18-2018, 08:09 AM   #107
E91-330i-M-Sport
Rep
Drives: E91 330i M Sport

Sorry for what is probably a simple question, but how/which software? Can I check the input signals from switches etc?
I'm a mechanic, but am new to BMW's, so trying my best to educate myself as quickly as I can. Sadly our Autologic at work doesn't work with BMW's, so am having to learn how to use the BMW apps that are available.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 11:18 AM   #108
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

INPA, or Rheingold (ISTA/ISTA+)
      04-17-2018, 04:50 AM   #109
Dean_e90
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 LCI Msport

Hi all, new member here.
Been reading this thread, and I'm going to attempt to install the mirrors myself (mines the non electric seat version)
I cant seem to find the correct wiring loom where would I find this?

Thankyou
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 09:25 AM   #110
polestar
Sweden
Rep
Drives: E91 316i LCI 2008

Hi all,

I'm trying to do the folding mirror retrofit for my 2008/11 316I LCI. I would like some help with troubleshooting, as neither the mirrors nor the glasses are responding to the inputs from driver side switch cluster. Sorry for the long post, I try to write all what I have done so far.

1) Installed the 3 pin folding mirrors and changed the driver door switch cluster
2) Wiring: Followed the diagram from https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...s-side/vBs9cBm (Also attached as a PDF). Did all the wiring myself and not using any dedicated wiring harness. Checked the connections using multimeter.
3) For 12V to the passenger mirror plug, I used a fuse tap on F66 fuse.
4) Writing VO and Coding using NCS Expert: Followed the post https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=77
5) In addition to the coding done above I also set ASP_LIN_VERBAUT and NO_SPIEGEL_LIN_START to 'aktiv' in NFRM (I have FRM2_E89.C08 according to NCS Expert. All TRC files are also attached.
6) I used Revtors expert profile for VO and options coding. When I read the VO and options from CAS/NFRM I can see all changes I did are there.
7) I could measure 12V across pins 4 and 6 of both mirror plugs and 9V across pins 4 and 5 (LIN bus) with key inserted in the ignition slot.

All windows work fine while operated from the driver side switch cluster. The mirror part of the switch cluster doesn't seem to have any effect on the mirrors (and glasses), except the mirror selector slider switch. I know this because to measure voltages I needed to use the slider switch to get 12V to mirror plugs. I reverted to the old driver switch cluster (without the push button) with the same effect.

When I lock the car and press the lock button for more than 2s, I can hear a 'click' sound (relay?) from inside the car, but the mirrors don't fold.

I read in another thread that a mirror motor reset (plug out and back in) and/or cleaning of contactor pins might fix it. That's my next move.

I would really appreciate if there are any tips or pointing to areas that I have not looked in to.

Thank you for your time.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Folding_mirrors_wds.pdf (208.1 KB, 582 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt FSW_PSW_NFRM.TXT (34.5 KB, 231 views)
File Type: txt FSW_PSW_CAS.TXT (7.9 KB, 222 views)
File Type: txt FSW_PSW_FZD.TXT (1.8 KB, 200 views)