E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > How to fit microphone to Android head unit/stock unit

05-23-2021, 12:18 PM   #1
Jaymie1989
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d SE & 320d m sport

How to fit microphone to Android head unit/stock unit

Hi,

I have an Android head unit in my E90 which uses the factory radio
Like the ones from AvinUSA and AliExpress.

However I don't seem to have a microphone for when I'm making calls via Bluetooth.
There is not a factory fitted one in the vehicle, there is not spare cable for one either.

Is there any sort of microphone I can purchase that maybe connects to the harness or unit at all?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 08:42 AM   #2
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Quite often there is a small (very) pin-prick hole on the face surround which is the built-in microphone. Also there is normally a 3.5mm jack socket somewhere on the new wiring loom to accommodate an external Mic.

I'd suggest contacting your supplier and asking them if it is possible, failing that post a link to the one you bought and I'm sure someone here may have the answer for you, but currently there have been so many manufacturers of these units it's impossible to say for sure without that info.

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 08:49 AM   #3
Tsvetomir.Ivanov
Registered
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330xi

Hi there, I bought my car with an already swapped head unit which I'm struggling to figure out who has manufactured it. Unfortunately it does not have a jack port on the back and the built-in mic for some reason does not work during calls, however it does work if I run a mic test. Anyone got any ideas? I've literally spent over a year looking for info on the internet to no avail.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 11:12 AM   #4
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

I originally used my OEM mic -- but either the mic or wiring failed a couple of months after the head-unit install. I instead used:

https://www.amazon.com/External-Micr...csi_prsubs_0_t

installed in the OEM location (overhead console). I used hot glue to secure it. Then ran the mic cable down the passsenger 'A' pillar --- where I have the GPS antenna for the new head unit.

My head unit had an input for an external microphone.
Appreciate 0