E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > AVIN Android/CarPlay questions

06-11-2021, 10:12 AM   #1
matamua
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 335i, FBO, m3 control

AVIN Android/CarPlay questions

I'm looking at getting the AVIN Android 10 head unit with CarPlay. I've got a few questions that I haven't been able to answer reading a bunch of the threads and watching videos.

1. When you are in CarPlay, is there a way to use the factory mic?
2. If you can't use the factory mic with CarPlay and can only use it with the factory iDrive/CCC/CIC interface, what are you guys using for calls? Are you using the factory system? CarPlay/Android?
3. If using CarPlay/Android, are you using an aftermarket mic? If so, where did you put it? What connection does it use?
4. Anyone have a good solution for NOT running the aux all the way to the armrest?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 05:06 PM   #2
Captain Buumer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325D

Interesting, just today was messing with the microphone. Last piece of the puzzle to make unit complete.

Since i am using Andream unit, can't really answer your specific questions as the units are different.

However might be helpful.

Decided not to use carplay as the android screen is powerful enough with all the needed functions. It makes sense when using oem interface that is severely lacking.

My car didn't have factory mic but when i was adding a mic to radio harness i forgot to code in the function thus it didn't work - doh! (reliased it now). Then decided to just relocate android built in mic to OEM location while using bigger microphone element that actually is quite good quality for car environment. Just used OEM case but mounted mic facing the gear lever. This was it picks up speech better.

3)
Simple 2 wires and mic at the end.
In the picture is tiny built-in Android mic that i threw away (slightly right from the center)
Didn't take picture of the bigger one but it also has 2 pins to solder.

4) tap into AUX IN +/- behind the radio unit. Armrest one has some resistor/capacitors somewhere between the line that degrades signal to protect car radio.
If you don't have 3.5mm outlet then just code in the function and use the pins anyway.

Last edited by Captain Buumer; 06-11-2021 at 05:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 12:07 PM   #3
matamua
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Buumer View Post
Interesting, just today was messing with the microphone. Last piece of the puzzle to make unit complete.

Since i am using Andream unit, can't really answer your specific questions as the units are different.

However might be helpful.

Decided not to use carplay as the android screen is powerful enough with all the needed functions. It makes sense when using oem interface that is severely lacking.

My car didn't have factory mic but when i was adding a mic to radio harness i forgot to code in the function thus it didn't work - doh! (reliased it now). Then decided to just relocate android built in mic to OEM location while using bigger microphone element that actually is quite good quality for car environment. Just used OEM case but mounted mic facing the gear lever. This was it picks up speech better.

3)
Simple 2 wires and mic at the end.
In the picture is tiny built-in Android mic that i threw away (slightly right from the center)
Didn't take picture of the bigger one but it also has 2 pins to solder.

4) tap into AUX IN +/- behind the radio unit. Armrest one has some resistor/capacitors somewhere between the line that degrades signal to protect car radio.
If you don't have 3.5mm outlet then just code in the function and use the pins anyway.
Interesting!

What mic did you end up using, and where did you get it from?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 04:00 PM   #4
3DIRTY8
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by matamua View Post
I'm looking at getting the AVIN Android 10 head unit with CarPlay. I've got a few questions that I haven't been able to answer reading a bunch of the threads and watching videos.

2. If you can't use the factory mic with CarPlay and can only use it with the factory iDrive/CCC/CIC interface, what are you guys using for calls? Are you using the factory system? CarPlay/Android?
3. If using CarPlay/Android, are you using an aftermarket mic? If so, where did you put it? What connection does it use?
4. Anyone have a good solution for NOT running the aux all the way to the armrest?
I just finished installing this and have been using it for about 2 weeks now. I did not install the included microphone and everything seems to be working just fine. my phone calls work in both android and carplay mode. I did purchase the wirless carplay mode though, so no adapter is needed. Only problems I am having is that every so often there is a crackle/choppiness to the sound & the OEM radio will randomly shut off/restart for a second.
      06-15-2021, 09:50 PM   #5
matamua
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DIRTY8 View Post
Quote:

I just finished installing this and have been using it for about 2 weeks now. I did not install the included microphone and everything seems to be working just fine. my phone calls work in both android and carplay mode. I did purchase the wirless carplay mode though, so no adapter is needed. Only problems I am having is that every so often there is a crackle/choppiness to the sound & the OEM radio will randomly shut off/restart for a second.
Did you buy the Avin one? Android 10?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 12:27 PM   #6
Captain Buumer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325D

Quote:
What mic did you end up using, and where did you get it from?

Link where purchased:
Here

How i attached into the housing.
Make sure you twist the wires so it won't pick up noise from surrounding wires. Attach wires to the drill, other end under something heavy and it's matter of seconds.

Just used same tape to get good fitment (couldn't find OEM one for reasonable price - they were way overpriced) and it won't rattle. Connector there too just in case.

All connected. There are some extra wires, those are for the dash cam that is integrated into the backview mirror housing.

End result, good as OEM.

Reason why i changed microphone elements was that small included one was very quiet.
Bigger one is just perfect. Can speak in normal tone and it picks it up.

Experimented little with carplay, it's fun. Can control all apps on phone with car android screen.

Last edited by Captain Buumer; 06-16-2021 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 12:04 AM   #7
matamua
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DIRTY8 View Post
Quote:

Do all your steering wheel buttons work in both the android and CarPlay modes?
Appreciate 0