E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > SPEC 3+ & SMFW Vibration?

05-07-2019, 07:20 PM   #1
woodex m.e.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi 6MT

SPEC 3+ & SMFW Vibration?

Hi All,

I will attempt to keep this as simple as possible. I just did my first clutch job on my 07 single turbo 335xi. Never done a clutch on anything else and I changed a bunch of stuff all at once so I'm not completely sure what to expect. I installed the SPEC 3+ clutch and SPEC single mass steel flywheel.

When driving the whole car vibrates to varying degrees depending on RPM and gear selected. If I push in the clutch and rev the engine it also vibrates accordingly, just to a lesser degree. To me this indicated the single mass flywheel balance or flatness is most the culprit. I also installed the twisted tuning aluminum transmission mount insert only a little while before so I know its amplifying anything going on. I literally drove it 5 miles on the new mount with the factory clutch and flywheel, so I do know it was a lot smoother before the clutch and flywheel change.

I have read of other with somewhat similar issues and just wanted to make sure this is typical. I don't mind the vibrations as long as everything is technically in check. Again this is all new for me so my mind is thinking anything from bent crankshaft end, to out of balance flywheel, to its just normal for this setup. Ive driven it about 450-500 miles.

I don't really have anywhere in Maine where I can take something like this and get an experienced opinion.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 12:31 PM   #2
woodex m.e.
Private First Class
Rep

Im sure someone must have this issue. Car vibrates when revving in neutral, at a stop. Between 2200rpm to 3500rpm. Significantly reduces vibrating at higher rpm.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 05:19 PM   #3
cortez08
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodex m.e. View Post
Im sure someone must have this issue. Car vibrates when revving in neutral, at a stop. Between 2200rpm to 3500rpm. Significantly reduces vibrating at higher rpm.
I have the same setup as you. E92 XI Doc Race spec 3 w/smfw. Twisted aluminum transfer case mounts as well. It vibrates up to 3000 with rattle between 2000 and 2800 rpm when accelerating. I have AKG motor mounts as well. It vibrates but doesn't bother me that much. Based on what you said everything seems normal compared to mine but vibration does clear up after 3500rpm. Maybe it's a matter of perception.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 06:11 PM   #4
woodex m.e.
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortez08 View Post
I have the same setup as you. E92 XI Doc Race spec 3 w/smfw. Twisted aluminum transfer case mounts as well. It vibrates up to 3000 with rattle between 2000 and 2800 rpm when accelerating. I have AKG motor mounts as well. It vibrates but doesn't bother me that much. Based on what you said everything seems normal compared to mine but vibration does clear up after 3500rpm. Maybe it's a matter of perception.
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like mine is behaving exactly as yours is. Its hard to find others with such a similar setup wth us beng awd and what not. How is that doc race kt treating you? Im still on the wastegate springs while ive been sorting things out.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 05:35 PM   #5
Cm452
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 335XI, stock...for now

The question is what is the vibration like? If it is subtle, like the what the chassis picks up with firm engine mounts or on a cement highway, then you may be fine. If it feels like a tire out of balance, or a borked drive shaft, then there may be something worse at hand. Did you use the clutch alignment tool?
-Cm
Appreciate 1
whyzee1251662.00
      05-17-2019, 12:01 PM   #6
woodex m.e.
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cm452 View Post
The question is what is the vibration like? If it is subtle, like the what the chassis picks up with firm engine mounts or on a cement highway, then you may be fine. If it feels like a tire out of balance, or a borked drive shaft, then there may be something worse at hand. Did you use the clutch alignment tool?
-Cm
I did use the alignment tool, but technically speaking it wouldn't matter as that tool is intended to help you assemble the system. Once the transmission is mounted it can only be in one place and no where else. The vibration varies sometime and is not consistent. At its worst it feels like a vibrating driveshaft.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 01:11 PM   #7
mfatse
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

I think I’m experiencing a similar vibration. Dkm twin disk, revshift 90a motor mounts and getting a vibration between 1800-2300 rpm. Strange thing is, it only showed up 2,000 miles or so after putting the clutch/flywheel in.

Happens when at a dead stop or when moving, but is most pronounced in lower gears…. The best part is, sometimes it’ll randomly stop for a short period of time and then start again.

Replaced every damn pulley on the car (including alternator, power steering pump, and harmonic balancer).

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0