E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E92 HK retrofit

12-20-2020, 08:58 AM   #1
cdti
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

E92 HK retrofit

Hi all,

What parts are needed to do the HK retrofit into an LCI E92 with base audio?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 05:12 PM   #2
speedmeter
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E34 520i & BMW E92 330i

Hi cdti, since I see no one replies, I will try to give you as much detailed answer as I can!

What you need to upgrade the base audio to Harman Kardon's (Logic7) audio system!

First of all, you need all the wirings, you will need as well the speakers - all of them because they are different from the standard ones. Then you will need the Logic 7 amplifier because the base audio uses the build-in amp in the radio deck which is too low to power up all the speakers especially the bigger under-seat subwoofers. Some fitment details will need to be replaced. f.ex. the central speaker needs a cover for the dashboard with grill and special plank to hold the speaker, the door tweeters need to be with the plastic cases and the rear seat trims need to be with holes (you may pierce in your original ones), there are more speakers on the space behind the rear sear headrests which is another part.
In the end, you need someone to do codding on your car to make the audio system be paired with the amplifier and the whole Logic 7 system.

I was in that movie mate, I mean I wanted to upgrade as well. Trust me it is a headache.
It will cost you a lot of money to buy the whole equipment, then you need an experienced electrician to connect everything because literally, it is a lot of work, seats need to be taken out of the car and carpets and a lot of other things, then you need someone to code the whole thing ... it will be 4 digit bill in the end and I personally don't think it worth.

My old CL203 got much better "base audio", I know it hurts to listen to the base audio of BMW E9x but I am going to retrofit only the tweeters from HiFi audio (front and back tweeters) just to put some high frequency there because the base audio is based on midrange speakers and 2 6" subwoofers which sound terrible. Then I think to put some small subwoofer in the boot, just to get a better volume of the sound

I don't want to demotivate you, but even my E34 got better sound than the base of E9x, just to upgrade older BMW sound system is easier, this one got the iDrive and a lot of other things that are made to be more complicated!

I hope I helped if you need more info ask me and I will be happy to answer. There are threads in this forum about that upgrade, search for it and you will see that many people wanted to perform it, but gave up at a certain point.

Merry Christmas!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 08:08 AM   #3
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

i can offer genuine plug and play kit if logic install too complex for you
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1781893
      12-30-2020, 10:11 PM   #4
Riz123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

I've recently completed the harman kardon retrofit in a e92 lci and it is a lot of work but I managed to complete it in two days working alone.

There are 13 speakers in total

Front centre speaker
Front door speaker x2
Front tweeters x2
Underseat subwoofers x2
Rear speakers x2
Rear tweeters x2
Rear shelf speakers x2

You will also need the following-

Amplifier with bracket
Wiring loom including most fibre optic cable (you can make your own loom if you like)
Centre speaker grill (speaker mount is already there)
Front tweeter covers
Rear door cards or drill your own holes that's what I did
Replacement rear shelf

There is a total of 20 wires two go to each speaker and there is one power and earth.

I connected the power directly to the battery with a inline fuse and put the ground on a earthing point near to the amp.

I then ran cables to each speaker location but for the front door speakers I used the underseat connectors and used the existing wiring to save messing with the door connector etc.

Coding was done using the bimmercode app of my phone.

I have pinouts and stuff if you want more info just send me a message.

Total cost to me was just under £500 and in my opinion it was totally worth it for a oem sound system.
Appreciate 1
dar2008302.50
      05-19-2021, 08:33 AM   #5
Nachillo123
Rep
Drives: e92 330d

Can u send me what it is needed to be coded? jeje
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 04:37 AM   #6
Lukeyboi89
Rep
Drives: 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riz123 View Post
I've recently completed the harman kardon retrofit in a e92 lci and it is a lot of work but I managed to complete it in two days working alone.

Front centre speaker
Front door speaker x2
Front tweeters x2
Underseat subwoofers x2
Rear speakers x2
Rear tweeters x2
Rear shelf speakers x2

Amplifier with bracket
Wiring loom including most fibre optic cable (you can make your own loom if you like)
Front tweeter covers
Replacement rear shelf

There is a total of 20 wires two go to each speaker and there is one power and earth.

I connected the power directly to the battery with a inline fuse and put the ground on a earthing point near to the amp.

I then ran cables to each speaker location but for the front door speakers I used the underseat connectors and used the existing wiring to save messing with the door connector etc.

Total cost to me was just under £500 and in my opinion it was totally worth it for a oem sound system.
Hi riz, sent you a pm for some more Info in doing this retrofit.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 02:15 PM   #7
Hu55on
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Hi Riz. Great post very helpful. Could you please send me a pm with more info?
Much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 06:08 PM   #8
xburakx
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riz123 View Post

Front centre speaker
Front door speaker x2
Front tweeters x2
Underseat subwoofers x2
Rear speakers x2
Rear tweeters x2
Rear shelf speakers x2

Amplifier with bracket
Front tweeter covers
Replacement rear shelf

Hey Riz, can I get the pinout info and how to code the sound system? I probably can code it using protool but fairly new into using it. TIA
Appreciate 0