E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Bought Rolled Back Odometer Car

07-18-2018, 10:57 AM   #23
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

you have the proof that they advertised the car with a known mileage that is less than what the car actually has.

this puts you in the position of power.

if they continue to dick around with this I would make it plainly clear to them that your next stop is the state board that regulates car dealers. Look up what the fines are for this sort of thing. It's far cheaper for them to deal with you directly.
Do not accept their lowball offers and bullshit.
They sold a car advertised with one mileage and it turns out the car has another, that is odometer fraud.
Appreciate 1
Jesda144.00
      07-18-2018, 03:11 PM   #24
jarsdad1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i, 2015 X1 3.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
you have the proof that they advertised the car with a known mileage that is less than what the car actually has.

this puts you in the position of power.

if they continue to dick around with this I would make it plainly clear to them that your next stop is the state board that regulates car dealers. Look up what the fines are for this sort of thing. It's far cheaper for them to deal with you directly.
Do not accept their lowball offers and bullshit.
They sold a car advertised with one mileage and it turns out the car has another, that is odometer fraud.
If you want your money back, this "error" would void an as-is sale.
Appreciate 1
Jesda144.00
      07-18-2018, 06:38 PM   #25
MTK24
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335I X Drive

Lol if he seriously gave you attitude after going back to him and telling him your concern you need to publicize this shit and go after him
      07-19-2018, 02:24 AM   #26
RocketSurgeon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Manual, CBR650F

This isn't the first case I've heard of an e90 cluster "jumping" mileage. There are a few possible causes like data corruption, mileage getting copied from a higher mileage used CAS/DME, or deliberate tampering. On another forum, there's a thread about an e90 cluster jumping 400,000 miles, data error/corruption is the most likely explaination for a discrepancy that large.
Pull a carfax or autocheck report for your car, you can get them for under $10. That would give you a pretty good idea whether actual tampering occured, and if so, when.
I would also want to read the mileage and VIN off the various modules to attempt to determine the actual mileage.
This could be a real mess to clean up. Considering the difficulty and expense of fixing this, you might force the dealer to buy back the car for the sale price.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 09:29 AM   #27
masterh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i

Last verified mileage was 60k on 03/2015. So someone put 12k in 3 years if it were true.

When the sales guy called me back he was talking about 'hey you know autocheck I showed you? it shows mileage unknown but I forgot to tell you. I apologize blah blah' I don't know what the heck he was talking about since it only detects odometer rollback.

Anyways, thanks for replies guys.

Sales guy said 'this customer left after mentioning the review'. he asked me to get back to him with a $ number I have in mind. I will just wait till he calls me back. (I forgot to record the phone call. I will this time) I am pretty sure they are very anxious to get rid of that review before it spreads like a wild fire. The ball is in my court. I am just going to sit back and relax. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
This isn't the first case I've heard of an e90 cluster "jumping" mileage. There are a few possible causes like data corruption, mileage getting copied from a higher mileage used CAS/DME, or deliberate tampering. On another forum, there's a thread about an e90 cluster jumping 400,000 miles, data error/corruption is the most likely explaination for a discrepancy that large.
Pull a carfax or autocheck report for your car, you can get them for under $10. That would give you a pretty good idea whether actual tampering occured, and if so, when.
I would also want to read the mileage and VIN off the various modules to attempt to determine the actual mileage.
This could be a real mess to clean up. Considering the difficulty and expense of fixing this, you might force the dealer to buy back the car for the sale price.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 09:41 AM   #28
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
Rolling back the odometer gives the auto industry as a whole a bad name. Almost all car dealerships have a few poor ratings since most people do not look over a car properly and then get angry when something goes wrong. Very few dealers actually pull stunts off like this dealer.
A good dealer will be upfront. It should not come down to the buyer to make sure the vehicle is OK to buy. Because if that was the case why buy at a dealer buy private you have the same risk.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 09:51 AM   #29
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
Dealers aren't there for less risk, IMO. They're there for convenience. Dealers (businesses) are just as shady as regular ole assholes.. I mean people.
      07-19-2018, 11:49 AM   #30
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosphericM View Post
Dealers aren't there for less risk, IMO. They're there for convenience. Dealers (businesses) are just as shady as regular ole assholes.. I mean people.
There is truth to this. While I wouldn’t say the dealers I’ve dealt with are shady—including the one I worked for—at the end of the day it’s business. You disclose what you’re obligated to, conduct yourself with integrity, and hope to make a profit in the process. But not to the point of being stupidly honest, or assuming my client cares about the same things as I would if I was in his shoes...

Now, if we’re talking about the “rock lots” as they’re referred to in the biz, those guys are often very shady and underhanded. Not all, but as a rule I would totally avoid them.

I guess what I’m saying is that at one point in time even I had the false impression that dealers only took the nicest cars on trade, made sure they were tip-top, etc. In reality they buy anything, and even with CPO cars, they replace things only when they absolutely have to in order to meet program requirements.

What happens in this case hinges largely on the law in that state, and whether the business has any desire to make things right.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 12:34 PM   #31
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
There is truth to this. While I wouldn’t say the dealers I’ve dealt with are shady—including the one I worked for—at the end of the day it’s business. You disclose what you’re obligated to, conduct yourself with integrity, and hope to make a profit in the process. But not to the point of being stupidly honest, or assuming my client cares about the same things as I would if I was in his shoes...

Now, if we’re talking about the “rock lots” as they’re referred to in the biz, those guys are often very shady and underhanded. Not all, but as a rule I would totally avoid them.

I guess what I’m saying is that at one point in time even I had the false impression that dealers only took the nicest cars on trade, made sure they were tip-top, etc. In reality they buy anything, and even with CPO cars, they replace things only when they absolutely have to in order to meet program requirements.

What happens in this case hinges largely on the law in that state, and whether the business has any desire to make things right.
My favorite type of dealers are the ones that are a certified new car dealers but they pump their lot full of sub 10k shit boxes. People walk in there thinking they are getting a better cheap car over CL and they are wrong. The first E90 I ever drove was one at a Ford dealership and it was rightfully clapped. I saw over $3,000 in repairs and I didn't look that deep. I told the sales guy that the car belonged on a wholesale lot and walked out.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 03:03 PM   #32
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
My favorite type of dealers are the ones that are a certified new car dealers but they pump their lot full of sub 10k shit boxes. People walk in there thinking they are getting a better cheap car over CL and they are wrong. The first E90 I ever drove was one at a Ford dealership and it was rightfully clapped. I saw over $3,000 in repairs and I didn't look that deep. I told the sales guy that the car belonged on a wholesale lot and walked out.
Oh yeah... Some are terrible. Learned that lesson the hard way when I helped my folks buy a pre-owned Acura (from an Acura dealership...) and dropped the ball of scrutinizing the car and my due diligence until the misplaced belief they'd do it for me. Because hey, they're a dealer right!?

LOL
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 07:56 PM   #33
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

I bought my e91 from a shady corner lot.

it was priced well and seemed to be well maintained before it was sold at auction.

I discovered why it was sold at auction and then fixed the #1 injector circuit myself.

so sometimes shady lots can be alright, but you'd better be an experienced car buyer to figure out if it's complete trash or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 12:04 PM   #34
Nateom3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

The dealer can not fix this issue. They can only replace cluster and reprogram it so there is no tamper dot and pull mileage from what ever is stored in CAS module. Tamp dot shows up normally when a used cluster is installed in the car with out proper programming. CAS module prob still has original Miles stored in it.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 12:08 PM   #35
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterh View Post
I wrote some short review on google.
the sales guy called back (not the owner I called)
He apologized by saying he realized auction paper said Mileage Unknown and he should've told me about it.

he is saying the owner is blaming him for not disclosing the info. He offered me his commission which was $250 facepalm.

I told him I don't want to have his commission and I just want to deal with the owner.
He kept asking what $ number I was thinking but I told him just speak with the owner and get back to me.

I don't know if he is playing some Tactic here. 'hey I am just a salesman, I don't want to get in trouble with the owner. help me out. I will give up my commission'
Knowingly selling a car with a rollback odometer without telling the customer is almost certainly illegal (and they would have to know). Maybe it's time to find a lawyer. They're trying to cover their asses and make you go away.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 12:35 PM   #36
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
Knowingly selling a car with a rollback odometer without telling the customer is almost certainly illegal (and they would have to know). Maybe it's time to find a lawyer. They're trying to cover their asses and make you go away.
What is it with this forum and suing? By the time he gets a lawyer to sue the car lot he could have bought another car.
Appreciate 0