E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Downtown Chicago Locals: I need an itinerary!

07-16-2018, 09:54 AM   #1
buzz367
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 BMW M3

Downtown Chicago Locals: I need an itinerary!

Hello everyone from the windy city!

I'm headed to downtown Chicago for only 1 day. We arrive at 6am, and stay the night, leave the next morning around 10am. I've already got Cubs tix, but other than that I have no plans. I'll be with my girlfriend. I'd love suggestions on where to eat every meal, what to do, etc.

Side question: I'll have to get some Chicago style pizza, so the best pizza spot would be awesome too!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 10:22 AM   #2
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Guided cruise on the river, the architure one. It's brilliant. Bring a hat.

Go see the bean, Millenium park, eat pizza. Done.
Appreciate 2
      07-16-2018, 10:25 AM   #3
irishbimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: Silverstone M6 CP, Bulldozer,

Agreed-just came from there...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 10:26 AM   #4
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
I would have recommended taking in a show at The Second City but you probably wont have time... my favorite spot is only a few doors down, Old Town Ale House... maybe you can swing in for a beer. Some amazing artwork in there as well as a bunch of true character type patrons. If i remember correctly, there was a large painting of Putin in a tutu behind the bar... Im sure there's a Trump parody by now as well.

Last edited by sspade; 07-16-2018 at 10:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 10:40 AM   #5
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

I second the architecture tour
visit the bean for some touristy photos
Eat at Alinea https://www.yelp.com/biz/alinea-chicago?
(or the purple pig) https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-purple-pig-chicago
I also wanted to try The Aviary and Next
https://www.yelp.com/biz/next-chicago-2
https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-aviary-...osq=the+aviary
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 11:08 AM   #6
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

Quartino Ristorante for lunch or dinner, my favorite place in Chicago!
Last time there I told our server: "You pick it all out for us" It was awesome.

Steve
Appreciate 1
joots6.00
      07-16-2018, 12:05 PM   #7
qba335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

You have to try Chicago style pizza at Lou Malnati's

I would also do a lake sail. Any sailing school offers this - let me know if you need any referrals.

Chicago art institute.
Appreciate 2
sirdaft12193.50
      07-16-2018, 01:20 PM   #8
buzz367
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks everyone, keep em coming!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 01:41 PM   #9
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

In one day hyou won't have time for more. A decent cruise is a solid couple hours, millenium park/bean is quite large and if you hit the gallery .... man it's massive.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 10:45 PM   #10
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Where are you staying? Regardless you can grab an Uber and get anywhere you want to be. Depending on how long of a day you want to make it, here’s a one day itinerary packed with a lot of Chicago favorites:

Early morning: Drop bags at hotel/early check-in if possible. Grab breakfast at Wildberry Pancakes

Mid morning - Explore Millenium Park/the Bean/check to see if there will be live music at the theater

Lunch - Grab an Uber to Lou Malnati’s

Afternoon - If not checked in already, check into hotel then walk the Magnificent Mile/Michigan Ave shopping OR architectural boat tour OR rent kayaks and kayak the Chicago river (you don’t want to fall in, but it’s not every day you can kayak between massive skyscrapers!)

Late Afternoon - head back to hotel for a quick nap/freshen up.

Evening - Head up to Wrigleyville either via Uber or grab the Red Line. PLENTY of places to grab a bite once near the stadium depending on what you feel like.

Late Evening - If this is the weekend, head back downtown and ride the Ferris wheel at Navy Pier (open until midnight I believe on weekends in the summer - PHENOMENAL view of the city). If hungry, grab a classic Chicago cheeseburger at the Billygoat Tavern. OR skip both and go grab a drink at the bar of the Signature Room in the Hancock.
Appreciate 3
      07-17-2018, 09:16 AM   #11
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
Where are you staying? Regardless you can grab an Uber and get anywhere you want to be. Depending on how long of a day you want to make it, here’s a one day itinerary packed with a lot of Chicago favorites:

Early morning: Drop bags at hotel/early check-in if possible. Grab breakfast at Wildberry Pancakes

Mid morning - Explore Millenium Park/the Bean/check to see if there will be live music at the theater

Afternoon - If not checked in already, check into hotel then walk the Magnificent Mile/Michigan Ave shopping OR architectural boat tour OR rent kayaks and kayak the Chicago river (you don’t want to fall in, but it’s not every day you can kayak between massive skyscrapers!)

Evening - Head up to Wrigleyville either via Uber or grab the Red Line. PLENTY of places to grab a bite once near the stadium depending on what you feel like.

Late Evening - If this is the weekend, head back downtown and ride the Ferris wheel at Navy Pier (open until midnight I believe on weekends in the summer - PHENOMENAL view of the city). If hungry, grab a classic Chicago cheeseburger at the Billygoat Tavern. OR skip both and go grab a drink at the bar of the Signature Room in the Hancock.
This.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 02:44 PM   #12
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Guided cruise on the river, the architure one. It's brilliant. Bring a hat.

Go see the bean, Millenium park, eat pizza. Done.
This...in that order.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 05:41 PM   #13
buzz367
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post

Awesome thanks.

Yeah the Cubs game is at 1pm so we were thinking of getting a late lunch somewhere near wrigleyville after the game. Other than that those are great suggestions, the kayak tour does seem cool.

Is the Signature room the best spot to close out the night with a drink?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 10:55 PM   #14
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz367 View Post
Awesome thanks.

Yeah the Cubs game is at 1pm so we were thinking of getting a late lunch somewhere near wrigleyville after the game. Other than that those are great suggestions, the kayak tour does seem cool.

Is the Signature room the best spot to close out the night with a drink?
With a mid day game, you’ll probably need to pair down what you do. Plus you’ll probably be exhausted by mid day anyways! Breakfast/morning activity (boat tour, kayaks, Michigan Ave, etc), lunch in Wrigleyville, Cubs game, check into hotel???, dinner and a night cap.

If it were me, I’d follow up the Cubbies game with some Lou Malnati’s for dinner followed by the Signature Room (it’s one of the most memorable and scenic places to experience CHICAGO). Don’t think you would be disappointed AT ALL.

Only thing you’re missing out on is one of my favorites all time drives... lower Wacker Dr. It’s where they filmed the underground scene for Batman Dark Knight. Nothing quite like traveling from one side of the city to the other, underground, beneath one of the greatest cities in the world. Very cool experience. But perhaps next time

Here’s the Batman scene...

Appreciate 2
Red Bread4462.00
      07-19-2018, 05:32 AM   #15
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Au Cheval has the best burger in the US
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 12:14 PM   #16
buzz367
Private First Class
Rep

Where's the best spot for breakfast? Wildberry pancakes does look great....

The girlfriend is pescatarian so we might have to hit billy goat or au cheval for a burger late night so I can get one, but not have it be our main meal. Any suggestions for a legit dinner spot, a nicer restaurant?

Last edited by buzz367; 07-19-2018 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 03:37 PM   #17
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz367 View Post
Where's the best spot for breakfast? Wildberry pancakes does look great....

The girlfriend is pescatarian so we might have to hit billy goat or au cheval for a burger late night so I can get one, but not have it be our main meal. Any suggestions for a legit dinner spot, a nicer restaurant?
Au Cheval much better than BG which I personally find overrated and annoying.

If you don't mind a trip north Glenn's Diner is my favorite fish spot in the city. The guy was doing fine dining then said screw it and opened up a neighborhood joint specializing in seafood.

There are other options if you want something more highbrow but that's a solid choice.

Next is by far the best experience in the city but depending on what menu they're doing GF maybe SOL and that's tough to swallow at those prices.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 01:10 PM   #18
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post

Next is by far the best experience in the city but depending on what menu they're doing GF maybe SOL and that's tough to swallow at those prices.
If it's nearly as good as Alinea my question to him is, "How serious are you and your GF?"

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 01:42 PM   #19
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post

If it's nearly as good as Alinea my question to him is, "How serious are you and your GF?"

I think it's better honestly but it's just the one menu each quarter.
Appreciate 1
PoorLurker1135.00
      07-20-2018, 02:05 PM   #20
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

OP - if Vermillion is still open (I haven't been in years) check it out. Indian Latin fusion w lots of fish options and an entire separate vegetarian menu to boot. Great great food.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 03:23 AM   #21
wiliulfo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i

My favorite pizza spot was always The Exchequer.

Also, if you like blues music, check out Buddy Guy's place on Wabash. If you're lucky, the Man himself will be sitting at the bar enjoying a drink and the show alongside the patrons.

You might also consider the observation deck at the Sears (Willits?) Tower...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 08:07 AM   #22
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I love downtown Chicago... my only recommendation would be to go the Adler planeterium and look back at the city for an awesome view and picture.
Appreciate 0