E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW Announces Voluntary N54 Engine (HPFP) and X5 Recall

10-26-2010, 08:06 PM   #89
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
I read one article that listed a 355i. Wow! When did this come out?

Anyway, I had an appointment booked for today for a brake fluid change and microfilter. Last Friday my engine started taking more time to start and on Sunday it was about three times as long. I mentioned this to the Service Advisor and he told me what was thought to be the problem (not HPFP). This afternoon, when I picked up the car, I mentioned the recall. The car goes back in next week for a software update so maybe they'll fix the problem then.

My car is now two years and two days old and 25600 miles.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 08:13 PM   #90
jonni44
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: i8

I just (6pm PST) called a local Bmw dealership down here in So Cal and they were not aware of any recall? They even searched my vin and said that there were no recalls to issue on their computer.

I even read out the report to them over the phone and they still said there was no official recall? Im not about to name the dealership and start a war but I mean is there an official recall yet?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 08:17 PM   #91
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonni44 View Post
is there an official recall yet?
No. Just a letter of intent to the EPA to initiate a recall
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 08:24 PM   #92
jonni44
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: i8

^ah fair enough
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 08:32 PM   #93
lawgone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Man View Post
RELAX! I've had this happen on my 2007 335i and "limp mode" just makes the car less peppy (sorta like your Saturn, Blazer or Honda). You can easily keep it at highway speeds and accellerate reasonably.
Ouch, zing! But actually the Honda is quite peppy and so was the Saturn. Not 300lb ft torque peppy, but when I hit the accelerator I knew it was going to you know, accelerate. I guess BMW now considers that a "feature" not offered on their turbo.

Every company is going to have a quality issue at one point or another. What makes it bigger than it has to be is when it's down played and not resolved to the consumers satisfaction (see Toyota/Lexus.) BMW is destroying their brand equity right now and Mercedes, Audi, Infiniti and others are loving it. Any BMW executives recommending this current course of action need to be fired yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 09:34 PM   #94
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Man View Post
RELAX! I've had this happen on my 2007 335i and "limp mode" just makes the car less peppy (sorta like your Saturn, Blazer or Honda). You can easily keep it at highway speeds and accellerate reasonably.
Extreme cases of the failure have led to complete failure of all powered systems (such as power steering, brake boost, etc...). Although limp mode is the "rule", as with all rules, there have been exceptions. Please don't state your experience like it's all-encompassing fact.

Also, this recall is complete bullshit. They'll replace the failing pumps with more failing pumps. Good deal. So, in the end, customers spend time and lose resale value as well as having possible delays in actual maintenance, BMW loses plenty of money and face, and in the end, the pump will still fail.

Awesome.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 09:44 PM   #95
a08335k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

I just purchased a CPO 2008 335i 2 weeks ago with 45k miles. It's at the dealership for an oil change. Good thing I saw this article and will check with the SA in the morning what the deal is. Too early in my opinion though but doesn't hurt to ask.
      10-26-2010, 09:52 PM   #96
ctski1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 328, 2017 X1

BMW of Watertown (CT) replaced my high pressure pump with a low pressure pump today. They also updated the software. I'll know more tomorrow morning, when I pick up my car.
It all started with the car 'limping'. This happened twice in the last month and a half. When I called the dealer to make an appointment to correct whatever was wrong, they didn't seem too surprised and told me over the phone they think it was the fuel pump.
I'll keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 09:54 PM   #97
Brian_TII
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 330i 6spd

I just don't understand how these days every single "failure" with a car is suddenly a safety issue. Cars have broken down for years, and nearly every car out there has at least one known issue that could cause the engine to run poorly or stall. It happens. Get over it. Should BMW fix this CORRECTLY and completely? Absolutely. But a safety recall? Absolutely not.

What about Ford's blowing spark plugs out of the head? Recall? Nope, TSB.

Duramax diesel engines spinning the cam gear on the cam shaft bending all the rods and sometimes leading to the pistons hitting the valves.. Recall? Nope, TSB.

Lexus IS300's hesitating and running like crap because of dirty MAF... Recall? Nope... Not even sure if that's a TSB, but it's every bit as common on the IS300 forums as HPFP issues are here.

Dodge automatic transmissions having the speed sensor failing and getting stuck in 3rd gear... Recall? Don't think so.

Mazda Rotary engines in general... most won't last 100k miles, many of the 3rd generation cars only lasting 40 - 50k miles before it spit the apex seals out the side of the engine. Recall? Not a chance.

GM Power steering pumps failing constantly.. coworker is on #4 power steering pump in 80k miles. Recall? Nope.

Again, my point isn't that everyone should ignore or just "deal" with the HPFP issue... BMW needs to figure it out, but speak with your wallets, not with lawyers. There are way too many other cars out there with similar or worse issues that haven't been recalled. By the logic of most of these people, non run flat tires should be illegal since they could deflate at speed and cause a loss of control if you encountered a nail on the interstate.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 09:54 PM   #98
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctski1 View Post
BMW of Watertown (CT) replaced my high pressure pump with a low pressure pump today. They also updated the software. I'll know more tomorrow morning, when I pick up my car.
It all started with the car 'limping'.
Make sure you get paperwork and your story straight. A high pressure pump is not able to be replaced by a low pressure pump. Not trying to be a dick, just make sure you know what's going on before you sign for your car and leave.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 09:56 PM   #99
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by a08335k View Post
I just purchased a CPO 2008 335i 2 weeks ago with 45k miles. It's at the dealership for an oil change. Good thing I saw this article and will check with the SA in the morning what the deal is. Too early in my opinion though but doesn't hurt to ask.
At best your SA will be aware of it but unable to act upon anything, as this is not a recall. It is an intent to recall. My car is going in for service tomorrow, and I will ask as much as I can, but in the end this is not and won't be treated as a recall, which is yet to be issued.

Does this mean a reliable pump has been implemented? Possible, but given the nomenclature of this letter of intent, I doubt it.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 09:57 PM   #100
Brian_TII
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 330i 6spd

Quote:
BMW of Watertown (CT) replaced my high pressure pump with a low pressure pump today.
That's not really possible. The car uses direct injection and has both high and low pressure fuel pumps. The failure of the high pressure pump is what causes most of these issues, however eliminating isn't possible, unless... well you want it in limp mode forever ;-)
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 10:01 PM   #101
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
So, as far as we know, there's still no solution. Just will make it easier to get pumps replaced?

Seems like it's just more of the same since depending on service history, a pump may be replaced or a car will just get the software update...

Did you read what's stated? It is not "easier" to get the pump replaced. 90,000 cars would get a software update, of the 130,000. Yes, it does seem like more of the same, but you should still take the time to read it for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 10:05 PM   #102
ctski1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 328, 2017 X1

You're such a dick BTM...lol
Thanks for your feedback guys! Like I've said, I'll know exactly what was done tomorrow. The SA left me a VM earlier today, so that's what I got from it....
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 10:05 PM   #103
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Can't wait to watch Nightline tonight for this full episode...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 10:05 PM   #104
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Did you read what's stated? It is not "easier" to get the pump replaced. 90,000 cars would get a software update, of the 130,000. Yes, it does seem like more of the same, but you should still take the time to read it for yourself.
Well, it alludes to those receiving letters scheduling appointments for inspection. What this inspection entails, we do not know. However, given the impending legislation from BMW, I do see that standardizing this procedure could result in more fuel pumps being replaced than what has become a typical "updated software, symptoms erased" followed by an inevitable failure.

You seem hung up on this number of pumps getting replaced vs. number of software updates vs. number of potentially affected. These are not hard numbers. When the recall is issued, everyone with a car falling into the designated model and year will get a letter. Of these cars, BMW expects to have to take action on 130,000. Of these, it expects to replace 40,000 pumps. Sorry your previous "you're all missing teh point look at the numbers!" thread got deleted, but perhaps you should take the time to read, process, think about, and then post before calling a post out.

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 10:07 PM   #105
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Thanks for your feedback guys! Like I've said, I'll know exactly what was done tomorrow. The SA left me a VM earlier today, so that's what I got from it....
That's what the ignore list is for!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 10:07 PM   #106
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Right, it is not unheard of for the LP pumps to go bad in these systems as well, it seems the entire fuel delivery system is prone to stress/failing parts. Just that the HPFP is most often the offending failure.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 10:08 PM   #107
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
That's what the ignore list is for!
Your sarcasm meter must be broken.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 10:09 PM   #108
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Right, it is not unheard of for the LP pumps to go bad in these systems as well, it seems the entire fuel delivery system is prone to stress/failing parts. Just that the HPFP is most often the offending failure.
The injectors are notorious as well.

Pretty much everything in the fueling system is prone to common failure.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 10:12 PM   #109
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
The injectors are notorious as well.

Pretty much everything in the fueling system is prone to common failure.
Which is what circles many of us back to the notion that it is not faulty pumps, rather something is causing pumps to fail in some cars. Odds are against cars with repeated replacements getting faulty pump after faulty pump after faulty pump - to me this says something is causing the pumps to fail, not the pumps keep failing. Especially considering there are many early build original pumps still out there, some with 50, 60, 70k on them.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 10:17 PM   #110
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

i wonder if they'll swap out the hpfp on my salvage title (nyc) once the recall goes into effect
Appreciate 0