E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How worth it is powertrain plus?

02-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
fabzz
Rep
Drives: 335i

How worth it is powertrain plus?

Long story short, I purchased a 335i coupe from from private owner (original) a while back, and the Extended Service Contract didn't transfer with the car, just the maintenance plan. We had to get a prorated amount back from Assurant, and I'm going to be getting ~$700 from the owner. My question, is the Powertrain Plus really worth it?

Things being considered are that HPFP is warrantied for 10yr 100k miles, had water pump replaced at 47k miles (car has 48.5k miles right now), and I have maintenance on the car until September 2013, the 4yr 50k mile warranty is up. I plan on trading in for m5 early to mid 2013, so wont have for that much longer.

A BMW rep I spoke with said she would be able to get me the Powertrain Plus for $2090, and be able to knock off $500 bringing it down to $1590, so I'd only be paying ~$890 for 2 additional years, 100k miles. I think its pretty worth it since it IS a 335, but is it necessary considering everything? It's definitely the best deal I've been able to get
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 06:20 AM   #2
rickysahota
UC Berkeley
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Coupe

Id love if someone would chime in on this.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #3
elbman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

It would be a good selling point in a private party sale if you had a transferable warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #4
3_runner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328xi

...In all honesty $890 is pretty cheap for peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #5
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_runner View Post
...In all honesty $890 is pretty cheap for peace of mind.
It's not $890... It's $1590 given that he's including the $700 he's getting back from the seller to put toward the Warranty. IMHO it's NOT worth it if it'll be sold or traded in a year or so.
      02-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

I thought powertrain plus covered the stereo and nav., probably better off getting the policy in-between base and plus which i think is gold. The gold policy covers gasket leaks which makes more sense then payimg extra to cover the stereo.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger

Last edited by Chriztofor; 02-04-2012 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 12:17 AM   #7
fabzz
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
I thought powertrain plus covered the stereo and nav., probably better off getting the policy in-between base and plus which i think is gold. The gold policy covers gasket leaks which makes more sense then payimg extra to cover the stereo.
I'd be getting powertrain plus(only one I qualified for through her, and same one it had already), not gold (nav coverage). I've decided I'd get the new m3, so probably get rid of in a year and a half, hope new m3 is out around then. Turns out coverage is 2yr 24k miles. I got 700 back, I'd have to put an additional 890 into it for roughly a year and a half of coverage.

Already got water pump replaced, HPFP is covered regardless. Maintenance on car good until sep 2013

What's covered:

(i) Engine: Cylinder head(s) and cylinder block. All internally lubricated parts including: pistons, piston rings and pins; crankshaft, main and connecting rod bearings; connecting rods; camshaft and bearings; timing chains and/or belts; sprockets; rocker arms and shafts; valves, valve springs, upper spring plates (retainers); valve collets, guides, and seats; hydraulic valve clearance compensators (lifters); oil pump assembly. Dipstick assembly; vibration damper; flywheel/ring gear; upper and lower timing case covers; intake and exhaust manifolds; engine mounts; valve cover(s); oil pan.
(ii) Automatic/Standard Transmission (including SMG [Sequential Manual Gearbox] and DCT [Dual Clutch Transmission]): Transmission case, torque converter, all internally lubricated parts contained within the transmission case including: all sprockets, shaft bearings, bushings, drums, pumps and valves. Transmission mount; flywheel; drive plate for torque converter. Coverage is not afforded for standard/SMG/DCT transmission clutch assemblies, which are subject to wear and tear.
(iii) Final Drive Assembly, Propeller Shaft(s): Final drive housing; all internally lubricated parts contained within the final drive housing including: all sprockets, bearings and output shafts; CV joints; universal joints; front and rear hub assembly, hub bearings; propeller shafts.
(iv) Transfer case (xDrive vehicles only): Transfer case, all internally lubricated parts contained within the transfer case including: all sprockets, shaft bearings, bushings, drums, pumps and valves. Transfer case mounts.
(v) Electrical: Alternator/generator; voltage regulator; starter*motor, starter solenoid; engine control module; engine and transmission control modules.
(vi) Cooling System: Water pump; radiator; fan clutch; coolant recovery tank; additional fan motor.
(vii) Fuel System: Fuel injectors; Piezo injectors; fuel pumps (including high-pressure pump); metal and plastic lines and fittings; fuel injection and air flow sensors.
(viii) Induction System: Turbocharger assemblies (vehicles so equipped).
(ix) SCR (Selected Catalyst Reduction) emission control system (Diesel Models Only): Transfer pump, dosing module.

Last edited by fabzz; 02-05-2012 at 12:25 AM..
Appreciate 0