E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > [SOLVED] How to RemoteKey + Users, anyone use a mac?

05-03-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car.

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
[SOLVED] How to RemoteKey + Users, anyone use a mac?

I still keep a PC laptop around to flash, or configure my RK+. but has anyone here had success in configuring their unit with a MacBook, using something like parallels and using the Mods4Cars configuration utility?

this itty bitty utility is the only thing keeping my old dell around

Last edited by B-737; 05-04-2011 at 12:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
Miami
these cars become an addiction :/
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-737 View Post
I still keep a PC laptop around to flash, or configure my RK+. but has anyone here had success in configuring their unit with a MacBook, using something like parallels and using the Mods4Cars configuration utility?

this itty bitty utility is the only thing keeping my old dell around
+1 my dell only collects dust
9-tenths of a second is a hell of a lot of time!!! That's walking all over the AMG. In fact, not only is that walking all over it, that's finishing, jumping out of the car, shitting in your own hand and throwing it at the AMG as it drives by to finish its lap.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
I discussed this with Mods4Cars Support today. The engineer, told me that he uses a mac to configure his. The support from these guys is truly amazing. its always prompt, its always clear and they always provide a solution.

He said running parallels and TinyXP will do the trick to configure the module using a mac.

I'm very familiar with PCs, but im a total noob when it comes to macs, so i need to figure out if i even have parallels, how to use it, then how to install TinyXP, and then the Mods4Cars program.

if anyone here whats to chime in on how to get started using parallels feel free to enlighten us.

Last edited by B-737; 05-04-2011 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
Miami
United_States
Rep

well isnt parallels the same as running a windows OS???? but on a smaller window on a mac??? why the hell didnt i think of this -____-

its a mac program that lets you run a windows OS on the mac. but as if it was an app.... but its not an app (see what they did there?) lol
9-tenths of a second is a hell of a lot of time!!! That's walking all over the AMG. In fact, not only is that walking all over it, that's finishing, jumping out of the car, shitting in your own hand and throwing it at the AMG as it drives by to finish its lap.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #5
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
im setting up parralels now, gonna install TinyXP then i'll try and set up the RK+ software, will report back

good work
      05-04-2011, 12:24 AM   #6
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
Okay, its really easy...

Purchase or install Parallels on your Mac

then download TinyXP
TinyXP is a bare bones copy of windows, its a 200 meg ISO that will give you the option of installing XP without Internet Explorer, outlook and a bunch of other crap. the installation is only about 400 meg. If you want to take the legal route for your virtual machine then just install a full retail copy of XP, have fun with that. but TinyXP will install into the parallels machine in about 15 min, it runs very well. During the installation i gave it about 2 gig of space. When i allowed one gig during the partition it kept running out of room during the install.

In parallels under Virtual Machine menu, select install Parallels Tools
this will enable copying stuff from OS X into your TinyXP

In OS X just go to the mods4cars website and get USB drivers (OS X will unzip them) as well as their .exe for the RK+

Drag those into your windows virtual machine on the desktop

Plug your RK+ module into your macbook, the mac will ask you if your plugging the USB in for the Mac or Windows, tell it windows, and windows will ask you to install the drivers, point it to the drivers folder you placed on your windows VM desktop. it'll ask twice.

Then launch RK+ exe utility to flash or configure your module. works like a charm!!
      05-04-2011, 02:32 AM   #7
Miami
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-737 View Post
Okay, its really easy...

Purchase or install Parallels on your Mac

then download TinyXP
TinyXP is a bare bones copy of windows, its a 200 meg ISO that will give you the option of installing XP without Internet Explorer, outlook and a bunch of other crap. the installation is only about 400 meg. If you want to take the legal route for your virtual machine then just install a full retail copy of XP, have fun with that. but TinyXP will install into the parallels machine in about 15 min, it runs very well. During the installation i gave it about 2 gig of space. When i allowed one gig during the partition it kept running out of room during the install.

In parallels under Virtual Machine menu, select install Parallels Tools
this will enable copying stuff from OS X into your TinyXP

In OS X just go to the mods4cars website and get USB drivers (OS X will unzip them) as well as their .exe for the RK+

Drag those into your windows virtual machine on the desktop

Plug your RK+ module into your macbook, the mac will ask you if your plugging the USB in for the Mac or Windows, tell it windows, and windows will ask you to install the drivers, point it to the drivers folder you placed on your windows VM desktop. it'll ask twice.

Then launch RK+ exe utility to flash or configure your module. works like a charm!!

yup just tried it out
Appreciate 0