E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Theromstat/WP TO OIL House Gasket

10-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Theromstat/WP TO OIL House Gasket

After changing the T/WP and knew I had to replace the heat soaked Oil Filter Housing gasket. Ordered from Tischer later to learn that I also needed the oil cooler gasket. Took it apart yesterday and found I only had to pull back the corner of the intake to get access to the OFilter hsn rear fastener/ bolt. Actually the hardest bolt for me was the lower oil cooler hsn bolt. This was because it took me awhile to figure out that I had to remove the oil cooler lines to gain access to the lwr torxs bolt. Once removed -- it was all straight forward and the DIY here was very helpful. The only issue was that the
O-rings (2) that seal the oil cooler lines to the cooler housing were brittle and had to be replaced. Not having ordered the O-rings P/N # 1722245358.
I went to Autozone and found 12mm seals and installed them but not sure if they will last -- they were green in color -- can they withstand 250F temps and not degrade when subjected to oil???
SO - My Lessons Learned -- if you have an oil-cooler -- order the (2) gaskets + don't forget the (2) O-rings for the cooler lines.
NEXT UP -- VALVE COVER GASKET -- currently in study mode for this task.
Appreciate 0