E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Winter Tyres (again maybe)

08-27-2019, 10:22 AM   #1
Bluewater335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 35D, F48 X1, M4, 911, 3.2

Winter Tyres (again maybe)

Just rang a couple of tyre supplies regarding winter tyres to put on my 335D with MV3's - availability in the UK seems to be late September

sizes are 225/40/18 and 255/35/18

There seem to be a little confusion about "matched" sets - i.e. the same manufactures tyre ref/model number on the front and rears, (effectively giving a slightly different tread pattern - i.e. LM005 and LM025 - no LM005 made in the rear size and no LM025 made in the front size)

I don't want Pirelli's

The choice I seem to have are

Hankook i* cept evo 2 = about £500 fitted

Nokian WR A4 = about £510 fitted

The Pirelli's were about £640 and for some reason I was told that Bridgestone don't do a "matched" pair in the above sizes and it also look as if Conti are the same

Out of the above 2 I will probably go for the Hankook as in reported tests they are said to have better wet weather performance

Can you share your experiences in what you have fitted on 18" MV3's

Last edited by Bluewater335D; 08-27-2019 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 05:39 PM   #2
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

Do you really need winter tyres in Hampshire?

For the odd day or two when there may be ice on the road I would have thought good wet performance would be sufficient to cover a Southern England winter.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 12:07 AM   #3
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

never ever had winter tyres on any car,,im in northumberland,,but on the coast,,so any snow dont really last,,but if i drive inland a couple of miles there will be snow and never had a problemm,but winter tyres are not just for snow,,they are for temps below 6 degrees and operate better,,but ive found my usual uniroyal are good enough,,
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 02:38 AM   #4
Bluewater335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdb1 View Post
Do you really need winter tyres in Hampshire?

For the odd day or two when there may be ice on the road I would have thought good wet performance would be sufficient to cover a Southern England winter.
Thanks - I feel I do

I don't just drive my car in Hampshire - I have driven in snow and ice for the past 10 years - always with cold weather tyres - they just transform the car - not only in snow but also in heavy rain - driving along the Swiss and French autoroutes is much safer with cold weather tyres in winter and in the past three years we have been caught in two heavy snow falls in Norther France - OK I was in a 4x4 Yeti with cold weather tyres, but we had no problem getting back to the UK when cars with normal tyres were abandoned by the road side - just not worth the risk, (and cost) if you can take action to avoid it.

I would not be without cold weather tyres even in a UK winter - when the temperature drops below 9 degree they start to be effective.

I put them on in November and take them off in March - I have two sets of wheels for both cars

Last edited by Bluewater335D; 08-28-2019 at 03:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 03:42 AM   #5
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

Fair enough if you are driving in countries where they have winters!

I agree that they are effective having experienced driving with winter tyres in Norway (where they are compulsory) with 8" of snow on the road but it wasn't clear in the OP that was your intention.

I don't know how much help you will get on the UK Forum though since most of us don't bother changing tyres for our temperate climate.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 02:31 AM   #6
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

I used to have a second set of wheels for my E46 which have winter tyres fitted. 100% worth it even in the UK winters. They are not just for snow and ice, in low temps they are great, in the wet they are so much better than summer tyres. I'm thinking of getting a second set of wheels fitted with winter tyres for my E91 but I just don't have the budget at the moment.

I think you need to drive on winter tyres to really appreciate how good they are.

I really noticed the different how much longer my summer tyres lasted too as you are not wearing them out between November and end of March while the winters are fitted.

My advice is buy a second set of rims and fit the winters to them, don't keep swapping tyres on your existing rims, it's not great for the tyres and is not cheap in the long run. The winter tyres for my E46 lasted 5 winters, I still have them and they still have 5mm of tread on them. Also if you buy a second set of rims you can get smaller rims the tyres for 16 and 17 inch rims are much cheaper than for 18 inch rims with a much wider choice of tyres.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 04:13 AM   #7
Bluewater335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Totally agreed - I have used them for the past 10 years

I dropped down a size on the X, (which has replaced the Yeti - but I miss it!!), to 17"

but I wanted to keep the same look on my 335 so keeping to 18"

but two sets of wheels is the way to go, if you do not mind the extra cost

it has always been well worth it for me - safety wise but also cost wise as I just would not want to get stuck in Northern France and face the costs and inconvenience that that would incur, (we have a house in SW France and generally visit 3 or 4 times from Nov to March)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post
I used to have a second set of wheels for my E46 which have winter tyres fitted. 100% worth it even in the UK winters. They are not just for snow and ice, in low temps they are great, in the wet they are so much better than summer tyres. I'm thinking of getting a second set of wheels fitted with winter tyres for my E91 but I just don't have the budget at the moment.

I think you need to drive on winter tyres to really appreciate how good they are.

I really noticed the different how much longer my summer tyres lasted too as you are not wearing them out between November and end of March while the winters are fitted.

My advice is buy a second set of rims and fit the winters to them, don't keep swapping tyres on your existing rims, it's not great for the tyres and is not cheap in the long run. The winter tyres for my E46 lasted 5 winters, I still have them and they still have 5mm of tread on them. Also if you buy a second set of rims you can get smaller rims the tyres for 16 and 17 inch rims are much cheaper than for 18 inch rims with a much wider choice of tyres.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 06:57 AM   #8
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater335D View Post
Totally agreed - I have used them for the past 10 years

I dropped down a size on the X, (which has replaced the Yeti - but I miss it!!), to 17"

but I wanted to keep the same look on my 335 so keeping to 18"

but two sets of wheels is the way to go, if you do not mind the extra cost

it has always been well worth it for me - safety wise but also cost wise as I just would not want to get stuck in Northern France and face the costs and inconvenience that that would incur, (we have a house in SW France and generally visit 3 or 4 times from Nov to March)
If you travel to France in winter time they are a must for you then. My sister is married to a Norwegian and they live in Norway. Her husband has always recommended Nokian tyres to me, so I may try them this time when I get them.

I find all the nay sayers out there who disagree with winter tyres have never actually tried driving with them, so don't quite understand the difference they make.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 08:30 AM   #9
Bluewater335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post
If you travel to France in winter time they are a must for you then. My sister is married to a Norwegian and they live in Norway. Her husband has always recommended Nokian tyres to me, so I may try them this time when I get them.

I find all the nay sayers out there who disagree with winter tyres have never actually tried driving with them, so don't quite understand the difference they make.
Nokian - tend to be more "snow" bias winter tyres - whereas some other makes are not as good in snow but better in the "wet"
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 12:44 PM   #10
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

there ate different kinds of winters,,some for snow conditions and some for just general power temps
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 02:35 PM   #11
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep

The newer sportier Nokians are pretty good apparently, I'd like to get some contis or Michelin alpines, but they are so damned expensive in larger sizes. My Goodyear ultragrips lasted very well and gave good grip. I fancy something else this time.
Appreciate 0