E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Suspension ramble: Bilstein, Birds, KW, Öhlins

09-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #23
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Matt: Thanks for checking the website and getting outside thought

Ian: Thanks for your thoughts! You make me feel better when you say that the fixed damping will be better than the m sport. It makes sense. I guess i'm just worried as i haven't really read many reviews. I'm trying though

Regarding warranty/replacing, do you think Bilstein will help out if we buy abroad? Is it a case of just keeping our proof of purchase?

Also at £650, what are the alternatives that are available?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #24
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
PS Lars (335rocks) has VERY kindly written me a detailed PM about the website in question here and advised that it looks fairly legit to him. I won't hold him to that of course, but he has done a lot of work for us and actually found a facebook group for this company and seen that they have been trading for some time etc.

Thanks Lars, that's much appreciated.

Rgds
Matt
Thanks buddy. Any time! My guess is that the company have a low overhead and no stock and the kits are drop shipped from Bilstein direct. So the company doesn't have to do much handling and are therefore able give good prices. If anyone is want's to limit the risks then pay the €50 extra buying it direct from the site using a credit card. With multiple shipping then this probably won't make that much of a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Would I buy Bilstein again?
Without a doubt, and at the price above even more so.

My car certainly handled well on track with Billies

PS - Lars rocks
Thanks... it took me a few secs to recognize the pictures... there was something familiar about them . Your daughter definitely had more fun that day and I seem to remember that you didn't get to drive that much.

Ian, did you have any issues with the ride height. I heard a few people say the front is very low, even with the rough roads kit? The drop on the Bilstein's are 30-50mm. It's 15mm on the Öhlins, so quite a big difference.
      10-01-2013, 02:22 AM   #25
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post

Regarding warranty/replacing, do you think Bilstein will help out if we buy abroad? Is it a case of just keeping our proof of purchase?

Also at £650, what are the alternatives that are available?
Buying abroad?

You're buying within the European community Mo, not abroad, we're all one big feck off state!
You shouldn't have a problem, just keep all the paperwork.

There are alternatives available, but none that I'd recommend, best we leave it there

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335rocks View Post

Thanks... it took me a few secs to recognize the pictures... there was something familiar about them . Your daughter definitely had more fun that day and I seem to remember that you didn't get to drive that much.

Ian, did you have any issues with the ride height. I heard a few people say the front is very low, even with the rough roads kit? The drop on the Bilstein's are 30-50mm. It's 15mm on the Öhlins, so quite a big difference.
Yes my daughter did have more fun, but once she got in the drivers seat, it was difficult to get her to relinquish her position, I could hardly blame her!

I never had too many problems with the ride height, but yes, it does sit low as you can see from the pics, set at its maximum height it was more than acceptable and still a very good ride.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 03:44 AM   #26
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Alternatives at £650 are not worth thinking about. There isn't anything I'd dream of putting on my car!!

Let's get this thing going! I want mine now!!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 04:06 AM   #27
Rudz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D xDrive Shadow Edition

I am signing up to this as well Mob
      10-01-2013, 05:08 AM   #28
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Great, that's 3.

MOB - it's probably worth setting up a specific thread with a clear Group Buy title - to grab some of the FK and BC customers attention!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 05:53 AM   #29
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah i'll set one up soon

I just got this email back from Bilstein. Wasn't expecting much regarding the ride and they've given a standard reply:

Quote:
Email removed
So he seems to suggest the damping is roughly in the middle position of the B16 kits?

A bit concerned about warranty. Just in case we had an issue, we can't use Bilstein in the UK for servicing?

I've fired an email accross to our German retailer about warranty.

Last edited by mob17; 10-02-2013 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 06:21 AM   #30
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

It was always going to be a ballache. I'm considering these at 650 in the hopes they won't fail!!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 06:34 AM   #31
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It was always going to be a ballache. I'm considering these at 650 in the hopes they won't fail!!

Matt
Yeah same.

I suppose if you think about it the chances are low of them seizing. It's an OEM manufacturer, plus i'm sure the ones we heard about were the B16 PSS9/10s?

If it does happen we could still send it back and have some sort of warranty (i'm confirming what warranty we have with our German retailer).

Edit: I've also emailed Bilstein Germany to see what they say.

Once we know exactly what the situation is, i'll make the GB thread.

Last edited by mob17; 10-01-2013 at 06:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 06:46 AM   #32
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah.

I don't wanna throw any spammers in the works here (near in mind I am still IN here) but I will provide this word of warning: EVERYONE I've spoken to has fears that Bilstein dampers fail. Even the Birds kit fails. I've heard that the none OEM Bilstein stuff is not up to the same standard.

That said - 2 separate people (Kev Bird being one, HotCoupe the other) have independently told me that Bilstein claim to have solved the problem.

I can also say that my Bilstein dampers on the Golf (essentially a B12 kit parted out into separate shock and spring components as I wanted Eibach not H+R) didn't fail after 12 months and I never had any backward from the bloke I sold them on to either.

Tony and Marcel have had failures, as have Birds customers - could this be because they are all hard drivers on the Ring? Maybe, maybe not. Tony cracked a piston in the BMW Performance brakes, but they are not inherently bad - they are just not for that kind of use by a driver who can really push his car to the next level. Marcel is similarity quick around the Ring. Me? I'd be at least 1-2 minutes behind in the same car on the same day, so I am willing to suggest I drive slower and put the car under much less strain.

Everyone just needs to go into this with eyes open.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 06:51 AM   #33
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post

A bit concerned about warranty. Just in case we had an issue, we can't use Bilstein in the UK for servicing?
Mob, good contact @ Bilstein Uk:

John.Crooks@kruppbilstein.co.uk

01455 283407

I'd suggest you email/call John regarding warranty and servicing questions for products bought outside the UK, although I don't think there would be a problem, but peace of mind will garner confidence in a UK group buy.

Really knowledgeable guy and very helpful.

It also might be worth contacting Pumaspeed Performance, they are now direct sellers of all Bilstein suspension products, after Bilstein stopped supplying a total bunch of losers that used to sell them!

Pumaspeed
Tony Mcquire
01924 360260

They might be able to offer discounts for quantity

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 07:23 AM   #34
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Matt: No worries, i'm glad we're doing as much research as possible

Alright cheers for the links Ian, i'll send some emails out

I've just heard back from the German retailer:

Quote:
Hello,

you have 2 years warranty. Requirement is that the chassis is installed properly (proven).
If a defect is present you must fill out and send me a complaint requesting the first installation account. I'm sending you to a rear end of translucent dhl.
I hope you understand it, since it's google translate.

Best regards
Don't know what he means by a "rear end" of a translucent DHL. I'll post up what he sends.

Edit: I misunderstood him. See email:

Quote:
Hi,

i mean if you have a warranty i will send you a translucent of dhl. J
So all we need for this is a installation statement, purchase bill and filled complaint requesting.

Best Regards
Basically free shipping back to Germany in case if a warranty claim.

Last edited by mob17; 10-01-2013 at 07:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 07:49 AM   #35
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Word.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #36
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 F83

That warranty seems sketchy to say the least - if you have one issue with warranty / return or defective product it renders all discounts pointless.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #37
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaragha View Post
That warranty seems sketchy to say the least - if you have one issue with warranty / return or defective product it renders all discounts pointless.
Why does it seem sketchy?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 08:08 AM   #38
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaragha View Post
It sounds alright to me...

Suspension problems always cause trouble becuase 99/100 times, you buy the suspension from somewhere other than the place that fits it.

If I buy Birds kit (which has had a few failures because it's the same Bilstein kit as the B14 is, basically) and it fails, it WILL be easier for me to return it and have it swapped, but I will STILL have a car with only 3 working corners (ie off the road) and that is no different whether I buy Birds, B14, KW, Ohlins or any other!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #39
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Emailed John Crooks (contact given by Ian), he forwarded it onto the same guy i emailed before lol. Response:

Quote:
Email removed
So basically we pay £300 extra to buy it from a UK dealer, to save some lead time in case one of them is faulty.

To be honest i don't think our German retailer would take too long. We just give him the paperwork he needs, he sends us a free shipping note via DHL, and then they check and send it back.

I'll send the German retailer another email, asking about shipping times in case we need an exchange!

Last edited by mob17; 10-02-2013 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #40
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Mo, I've emailed you over the Bilstein warranty.

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #41
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List

Nothing here

Last edited by Hotcoupe; 10-02-2013 at 06:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #42
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Mo, I've emailed you over the Bilstein warranty.
Cheers Ian. I have emailed them for warranty confirmation, as from that warranty document it does seem as though the B14 and B16 kits get lifetime warranty, the rest of the kits are 2 years. Maybe our German retailer and Bilstein UK are getting confused with other kits...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #43
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I've dealt with him before, it's not a name you forget, always sounded like he was one of the bad Guys in the 'The Magnificent Seven'.

Mo, PM me the company you're dealing with please.
Lol pm sent

Last edited by mob17; 10-02-2013 at 08:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #44
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It sounds alright to me...

Suspension problems always cause trouble becuase 99/100 times, you buy the suspension from somewhere other than the place that fits it.

If I buy Birds kit (which has had a few failures because it's the same Bilstein kit as the B14 is, basically) and it fails, it WILL be easier for me to return it and have it swapped, but I will STILL have a car with only 3 working corners (ie off the road) and that is no different whether I buy Birds, B14, KW, Ohlins or any other!

Matt
It's worth mentioning that if you suffer a failed damper, you won't receive just the one replacement, but both (same axle) will be replaced.

Dampers should only ever be changed in pairs.

The above was my experience anyway.

Appreciate 0