E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > winter tyres garage says dont waste money

11-22-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
corasdad
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: m sport 320d

winter tyres garage says dont waste money

Went to my local tyre garage today cash in hand and when i asked about winter tyres was then given a ten minute lecture about wasting my money and was told if it snows dont drive simple???? shocked I walked out and went elsewhere to order them
2006 320d Msport,sunshades, remapped , strut brace, air scoops, black grills,custom exhaust , performance filter, light up gear knob ,blue led interior lights,leather wrapped dash trims, csl spoiler more to come
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
P 5UML
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

lol! to be fair if it snows i wont be driving my car, have another car i can use which i guess i am lucky for, its just not worth the risk to be honest!

we might be careful, doesn't stop someone sliding into the back of us though

BMW's werent built for snow (joking before i get slated for that!)
      11-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

And that is why this the only country that grinds to a hault when it snows!
Appreciate 2
      11-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
marknjayne
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

i wont be wasting my money on winter tyres,i personally cant see the point in them,if it snows bad enough that i cant get off my drive i wont use the car,the little extra grip you get with winter tyres wont turn my car into a 4x4,i always say drive to the conditions,using that theory has never let me down yet in the 20 yrs of driving without snow tyres
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
surrey 335i
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i E91 sport, 123d + others

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknjayne View Post
i wont be wasting my money on winter tyres,i personally cant see the point in them,if it snows bad enough that i cant get off my drive i wont use the car,the little extra grip you get with winter tyres wont turn my car into a 4x4,i always say drive to the conditions,using that theory has never let me down yet in the 20 yrs of driving without snow tyres
may as well stick your head in the sand then with that attitude.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
marknjayne
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by surrey 335i View Post
may as well stick your head in the sand then with that attitude.
why,please give me some valid reasons why i should spend hundreds of pounds on tyres when mine are quite fine
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Safety and performance is dramatically increased under 6c with winter tyres, it's not only snow, it's all winter conditions, otherwise they'll be called snow tyres.

The traction of winter tyres on a RWD in the snow is higher than a 4WD on summer tyres.

I'd have them if I could afford them.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
D_Boi
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 LCI M Sport

Quote:
I personally agree with you although it does depend on where you live and if using the car is of great importance. Its down to the individual but I know for sure I haven't even considered winter tyres.

Modz: Bmw Black grills//Bmw Performance Exhaust//M3 style boot lip//window trim wrap...
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #9
Jase 320d
Wheelbarrow Edition
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Arctic 320d

Just put some new summer bridgestone potenza's on!

Stuff this winter tyre malarchy! I wont drive in the snow in my bmw (thats what my work van is for)
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #10
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase 320d View Post
Just put some new summer bridgestone potenza's on!

Stuff this winter tyre malarchy! I wont drive in the snow in my bmw (thats what my work van is for)
+1.... When the white stuff comes, the BMW stays in the garage. The work van though battles on wherever I need to go!

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #11
Leah1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320d m sport

Who posted a vid on here last week showing themselves driving in the snow on winters in their 1 series quite liked that vid can find it though
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #12
Alex.J
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i MSport

Think most of you are missing the point!

They are not 'snow tyres' and no they wont turn your bmw into the artic hilux that top gear used!

Will they increase grip and safety in cold, freezing temperatures, yes! Will they let you get out in light snow, yes! Will your braking in this conditions be better, yes! Will they make you and your occupants safer, Yes!

Ill put a different spin on it! budgets summer tyres in summer= Shit and unsafe, Premium brand Summer tyres in winter= Shit and unsafe..

Nobody drives around on triangle talons in their 335's i hope? Just like you wouldnt buy toyo R888 track tyres for a wet drive around wales?

Horses for courses boys!
      11-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #13
corasdad
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: m sport 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah1 View Post
Who posted a vid on here last week showing themselves driving in the snow on winters in their 1 series quite liked that vid can find it though
2006 320d Msport,sunshades, remapped , strut brace, air scoops, black grills,custom exhaust , performance filter, light up gear knob ,blue led interior lights,leather wrapped dash trims, csl spoiler more to come
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #14
marknjayne
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.J View Post

They are not 'snow tyres' and no they wont turn your bmw into the artic hilux that top gear used!

Will they increase grip and safety in cold, freezing temperatures, yes! Will they let you get out in light snow, yes! Will your braking in this conditions be better, yes! Will they make you and your occupants safer, Yes!

Ill put a different spin on it! budgets summer tyres in summer= Shit and unsafe, Premium brand Summer tyres in winter= Shit and unsafe..

Nobody drives around on triangle talons in their 335's i hope? Just like you wouldnt buy toyo R888 track tyres for a wet drive around wales?

Horses for courses boys!
but why when the good old P-Zero's have been no trouble at all every previous winter would i want to spend hundreds of pounds on separate tyres for this winter (plus have to find room all yr for a set of four wheels/tyres,yes winter tyres are a bit better but to be honest as long as you drive to the conditions i cant see they are worth the outlay and hassle,if people are that concerned then they should buy a car for all seasons rather than a RWD car
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #15
Jase 320d
Wheelbarrow Edition
Scotland
Rep

Quote:

Horses for courses boys!

They aren't summer tyres

They are all year round tyres!

Winter tyres cost 150% of the cost of normal all round tyres. Complete waste of wonga!

Last year in my leon tdi slammed to the tarmac i could go almost anywhere with toyo proxes on!

Snow was a foot deep and blizzards! I got stuck on a b road. Only as there was guys cutting down fallen trees and i had to wait on them! It could go anywhere!

Obviously its a different story in a bmw, but why buy a bmw if you need it everyday for work through winter. Surely thats where the stupitidy lies. I bought my bmw for social driving. For work and when it gets too cold / icy for the bmw i'll take the work van! And if it ends up in a heap i don't really care

Last edited by Jase 320d; 11-22-2013 at 01:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #16
Alex.J
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
but why when the good old P-Zero's have been no trouble at all every previous winter would i want to spend hundreds of pounds on separate tyres for this winter (plus have to find room all yr for a set of four wheels/tyres,yes winter tyres are a bit better but to be honest as long as you drive to the conditions i cant see they are worth the outlay and hassle,if people are that concerned then they should buy a car for all seasons rather than a RWD car
Have you ever driven a RWD with winter tyres on?

If they made no difference or minimal difference, why would countries like Germany and sweeden( Countries that have more snow than us) make it law to have winter tyres on during winter?

Every year we have a mass moan about getting stuck, when do you never hear of wide spread panic and death in Sweeden when it snows?
      11-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #17
Jase 320d
Wheelbarrow Edition
Scotland
Rep

You also have to remember 90% of the british population can't drive properly in summer day conditions!

Unbelievable amount of idiots on the road! Like the middle aged m3 owner who decided on the motorway today that bmw mirrors were an optional extra that he didn't select
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #18
Alex.J
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You also have to remember 90% of the british population can't drive properly in summer day conditions!

Unbelievable amount of idiots on the road! Like the middle aged m3 owner who decided on the motorway today that bmw mirrors were an optional extra that he didn't select
Totally agree with you there! Bunch of snow idiots! Rev Limiter in first gear is obviously the way to get up any slight incline in snow
      11-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #19
marknjayne
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Have you ever driven a RWD with winter tyres on?
yes although not in snow,as i said in a previous post they are better in wet conditions but marginally

Quote:
If they made no difference or minimal difference, why would countries like Germany and sweeden( Countries that have more snow than us) make it law to have winter tyres on during winter?
i have no proof on this but i suspect revenue may be a big factor along with the good old health and safety over reactors

Quote:
Every year we have a mass moan about getting stuck, when do you never hear of wide spread panic and death in Sweeden when it snows?
they know how to look after and clear the roads,we dont have a clue
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #20
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Quote:
They aren't summer tyres

They are all year round tyres!

Winter tyres cost 150% of the cost of normal all round tyres. Complete waste of wonga!

Last year in my leon tdi slammed to the tarmac i could go almost anywhere with toyo proxes on!

Snow was a foot deep and blizzards! I got stuck on a b road. Only as there was guys cutting down fallen trees and i had to wait on them! It could go anywhere!

Obviously its a different story in a bmw, but why buy a bmw if you need it everyday for work through winter. Surely thats where the stupitidy lies. I bought my bmw for social driving. For work and when it gets too cold / icy for the bmw i'll take the work van! And if it ends up in a heap i don't really care
All the tyre on the market are summer tyres, it's almost impossible to buy all season tyres, which is what we should really have.

Watch the tests. Winter tyres are good, and required in other countries for a reason.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #21
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

So all this talk of "winter tyres". Seems to be a recent thing to me. And a money spinner for BMW.

When I was a boy, certainly didn't remember winter tyres then, people made do, and surprisingly still managed to get about. And in the days of rear wheel drive Capris, Cortinas, Sierras and of course BMWs, Mercedes, etc, etc, etc, the country didn't seem to whine about snow and how crap the cars were (assuming they would start if you had a Ford).

Have "summer tyres" just got worse? Was rubber different then? Were the tyres of days gone by "all year". Or is it just me? Agreed RFTs and mega low profile wide tyres don't help in icy conditions, but wide tyres aren't a new thing. And neither is snow.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #22
J Dub
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 2007 MSport 2.0d

or you could just spent £600 on a clapped out free lander, would work for me as a winter car, if it gets hit, it get hit

This argument is as much about opinion as it is facts