E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > OE Tuning vs. Active Autowerks ECU Tune

01-06-2011, 10:51 PM   #133
chuson
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by excoupe View Post
Do either of these companies have a tune to take advantage of 91 octane and the 3-stage manifold for the Canadian N52 323i? I noticed AA has some authorized dealers in Canada which is a big plus.
AA told me they had dealers in Toronto but they never give me contact info (phone # or company name)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 08:31 AM   #134
Viral@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 of a kind ;)

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuson View Post
AA told me they had dealers in Toronto but they never give me contact info (phone # or company name)
PM has been Sent with Dealer Information. Below I have provided a direct link to our Dealers List for both US Dealers and International Dealers.

http://www.activeautowerke.com/dealers.php
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #135
BT M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325imax View Post
I was very concerned with the tune, and OE offered me a partial refund, but I did not want to mail it back on my dime and wait another week to see if things got better. When you have a nice car and its sitting with the hood up for weeks, eventually you just want it fixed. Im not the first one to send an OE tuned ECU to Active A, and they won't want their proprietary code anyway... They told me they were going to flash right over the OE Tune.

Words of advise: Deal with a tuner you can take your car to, so when they have to flash, and flash again, and reflash.... you don't have to ship your ECU all over the country. Apparently I am still a pioneer with the 3 stage intake manifold swap, and I am crossing fingers that AA has the tune down, I have high hopes based on other's reviews...
No offense dude, but something was corrupt or didnt go through on the flash or your car. They have midrange problems on the stock DME - not tuned. The issues you describe sound like stock DME programming with 330i manifold.

OE and I did a 330 manifold on a 328 2010xi wagon in July and dynoed it, you are like 7 months behind. I don't see any issues with the midrange.

Here's the customers praise:

Short form: awesome!

Long form: the final tune we ended up with was the right choice. I haven't had too many chances to really wind it out to red line, but the few I did seemed quite good. The daily drive aspects, part throttle at mid range, are simply amazing. Very well behaved and well mannered (just like stock), only significantly more power smoothly from 3000 RPM up. Drivability is still excellent, and throttle response seems better.

From your other posts I think you have a mechanical problem as you experience the problem with both files.

Here's the before and after tune baseline had manifold installed (much older file before any valvetronic R&D):

Where's your data?

Last edited by BT M3; 01-07-2011 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #136
Viral@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Do either of these companies have a tune to take advantage of 91 octane and the 3-stage manifold for the Canadian N52 323i? I noticed AA has some authorized dealers in Canada which is a big plus.
Yes, we are currently working with our International Dealers to get a E90 323 w/N52 since this vehicle was not offered in the US. We have establish that the E90 323i uses the same DME/ECU as the E90 325/330 MSV70*** so we maybe able to have a tune for this vehicle shortly. I will keep you posted once I find out more Detail from our Software Engineering Staff.

Last edited by Viral@ActiveAutowerke; 01-07-2011 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #137
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Autowerke III View Post
Yes, we are currently working with our International Dealers to get a E90 323 w/N52 since this vehicle was not offered in the US. We have establish that the E90 323i uses the same DME/ECU as the E90 325/330 MSV80 so we maybe able to have a tune for this vehicle shortly. I will keep you posted once I find out more Detail from our Software Engineering Staff.
My 330 is a MSV70.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #138
Viral@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
My 330 is a MSV70.
Correct Sir this cold weather is getting to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #139
chuson
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
PM has been Sent with Dealer Information. Below I have provided a direct link to our Dealers List for both US Dealers and International Dealers.

http://www.activeautowerke.com/dealers.php
Got it. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 09:53 PM   #140
excoupe
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 323i

Garage List
2009 323i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, we are currently working with our International Dealers to get a E90 323 w/N52 since this vehicle was not offered in the US. We have establish that the E90 323i uses the same DME/ECU as the E90 325/330 MSV70*** so we maybe able to have a tune for this vehicle shortly. I will keep you posted once I find out more Detail from our Software Engineering Staff.
Pretty exciting. Look forward to the news.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #141
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

why cant a company make a tune that you can install yourself! There are no dealers near me, and I do not want to ship my ECU out!!
      01-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #142
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i 6AT non-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
why cant a company make a tune that you can install yourself! There are no dealers near me, and I do not want to ship my ECU out!!
What you are asking for is a flash chip, which is quite common for domestic brands, also available for 335i. The Jim Conforti flash chip is available for pre 2006 328i too, cost only $299, but somehow he did not do the same for the newer N52.

OE Tuning was rumored to work on a flash tune but the latest is they are busy on the 6's, no time for the lowly N52.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 12:39 AM   #143
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
What you are asking for is a flash chip, which is quite common for domestic brands, also available for 335i. The Jim Conforti flash chip is available for pre 2006 328i too, cost only $299, but somehow he did not do the same for the newer N52.

OE Tuning was rumored to work on a flash tune but the latest is they are busy on the 6's, no time for the lowly N52.
yes, I don't see why they don't come out with it however. I mean the hardest part is cracking the ECU and configuring a safe software tune. After that, is it really that hard for them to put it on a cheap plastic box that connects to the port, uploads, and is done?

Maybe they can chime in. hmm only thing I could think of is maybe they don't want their software to be stolen.
      01-08-2011, 06:00 PM   #144
Mimio
Choppin' Broccoli
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

TMS tune

Is there anyone who is currently using the OE or AA tune who previously had the TMS tune. How do they compare?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #145
BT M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

So...after all this "wacky" midrange mess the OP figured out it was just his throttle adaptations needed to be cleared all along.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 07:05 PM   #146
joshbarone
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i Coupe

Tune in Charlotte

Hi,

I'm in charlotte and I have a 2009 e92 328i. It's certified but I need more power. What happens when I get an AA tune and take it into the dealer? Will they just void my warranty, overwrite the ECU, etc?

Will a performance intake and exhaust combined with a tune help as well?

Also any shops that can help me locally?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #147
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshbarone View Post
Hi,

I'm in charlotte and I have a 2009 e92 328i. It's certified but I need more power. What happens when I get an AA tune and take it into the dealer? Will they just void my warranty, overwrite the ECU, etc?

Will a performance intake and exhaust combined with a tune help as well?

Also any shops that can help me locally?

Thanks!

You are in luck, AA has a dealer that can do the tunes right in Charlotte, NC. There aren't many in the country, but you have one local!

CES Motorsports Charlotte (704) 458-1353
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 07:38 AM   #148
t1mmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2008 Sport

as per your other questions, i'm surprised you were able to search up this old thread but not the answers.

you get one reflash. they claim bmw can't find it, but thats the risk you take. bolt ons will help according to aa
      09-18-2011, 02:10 PM   #149
SR|RED
Private
Rep
Drives: 92' 180SX

I've had the AA Tune for my 325i for almost 3 months now.

My baseline was a 2002 IS 300. I'm estimating around 225 @ the crank with an auto tranny. We've had a few opportunities to open up against each others car and he would consistently inch away from me near the top of every gear.

We finally had a chance to go head to head again yesterday, and the difference was quite staggering. We raced up to maybe 120kph, but already at this point I had put him a car length behind.

Very happy with the tune... The only problem I'm having is with fuel consumption... I drive with enjoyment in mind, that policy hasn't changed since the tune. But I went from an average 8.6l/100kms, to 9.2l/100kms. Not too shabby.

Thanks again Viral!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 09:04 PM   #150
csol092698
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328I

Angry Stay Away From Oe Tuning

The nightmare begins from the day I went to this place, the guy seems like he knows nothing about the tuning process, I waited in from 11am to 3pm and found out that he has been doing it remotely... After the day my tune got installed my car started to showing up that there is a drivetrain malfunction and it turned out to be a broken cylinder 3, apparently before the tune was in, the car was completely fine especially that I just got maintaince 2 months ago, but somehow after the tune is in, it got broken, my assumption is that the car couldn’t take that much of a burden due to the unreliable tune which is out of the safety limit hence the cylinder 3 broke, I went to their place the next day at 9am, they checked my car and I asked for a refund but the owner turned me down claiming that the problem is that my cylinder 3 was already broken and after the tune was in the problem became noticeable??? Well... I was going to get it diagnosed but it cannot point out if the problem is caused by the tune so I asked them to put it back in stock, but the one who did my tune remotely is oversea in Australia and won’t be awake after a while, and he also said he will give me a call after he is awake, so I drove back and waited for 7 hours and been waiting for his call, no one called me lol, I was texting him but no reply, so I called back several times and he hung up on me the first time and just avoiding my calls, so I used another phone number to call him, he picked up... I asked him why he kept avoiding me and he was pretending that he couldn’t hear me and said that he NEVER said he was going to call me.... he wanted me to drop in the car the next day at 1pm but Isn’t that weird that the guy in Australia could done my tuning at 11am but is sleeping now from 9am to 4pm...umm... so during the business hour here the one who can actually do the work is sleeping... interesting went there the third time and waited for another freaking 4 hours in the small room without AC or fan, it was hot and the guy left my car in the parking lot with the back open, front door open and didn’t even keep an eye on it, the result is predictable, my car shows an error AGAIN, chassis stabilization, lol at this point I don’t know what to say, the most annoying part is the guy’s attitude, he was ignorant and irresponsible, he left and claimed that it’s not their problem something wrong with the ignition coil, lmfao I replaced it before he flash the computer, whose problem this is?? this place is sh*tty, don’t even go there, disrespectful employee with “ghost” operator in the poorest environment, the worst service ever. I will keep you guys updated.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 09:08 PM   #151
csol092698
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328I

This is place is just ridiculous. only worker in the office had no idea on the tune. After they claimed that they returned my ecu back to stock condition, my car has drivetrain malfunction and engine light with a bunch of error code
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 11:48 PM   #152
pinoye90
Banned
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 07-E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottycs View Post
The software is listed at $590 on OE's site vs $399 for AA. Thats $191 unless I am missing something.
We also have Dealers all across the US & Canada and Internationally can do this Performance Software On-Site.

Active Autowerke Authorized Dealers
So I currently have a AA tune and I went on their website and looked up the dealers around my area which would be Arizona. I went ahead and emailed the Arizona dealer, I forgot the name. Then they told me that they don't have a Dyno?
What would be great if these different state dealers have a dyno so we can get a real AA Tune!!!!
Appreciate 0