E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Xdrive or not

01-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #133
Schmed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E70X5, F25X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp View Post
My 335i wasn't going anywhere with summer tires in the snow.
My 535xi with summer tires could get around just fine unless it got stuck in a ditch/hill with more than 8" of unplowed snow.
However, I spun out with my 335 doing 5-8mph with traction ON, while the 535xi, although traction control was going crazy, by braking some wheels, and managing the power to others, it kept the car "under control" in turns.
The 335i could not do this since it could not distribute the power to the front wheels, or even to one rear wheel completely (lack of LSD).

I now have snow tires on the 535, and thus far, it has been unstoppable.

I didn't just get the xi for the snow though.
I also got it for the rain, and since I live in NYC, I got it to have traction 100% of the time in uneaven/ rough surfaces around the city, where as the traction control would go off numerous times in the rain and dry in the city with the 335 (also due to the very stiff suspension, while my 535 does not have sport suspension).

Again, winter tires are a must in either car.
You can get by with all season tires though, unless you have constat snow on the ground and don't live in the city.
I have to think that you would have spun in the 535xi with the same tires. DSC/ASC (whatever we are calling it now) only affects braking, not power. I think its very hard to make the 335i spin - even with summer tires. Are you sure your traction was "on"? Every time you start the car, it's "on". Pressing the button turns it OFF. A friend of mine thought she had to press the button to turn it on, and I had to tell her she was turning it off ever time she pressed the button.

Not to sound condescending, but buying XDrive for traction in the rain sounds crazy to me.
      01-06-2010, 03:42 PM   #134
Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmed View Post
I have to think that you would have spun in the 535xi with the same tires. DSC/ASC (whatever we are calling it now) only affects braking, not power. I think its very hard to make the 335i spin - even with summer tires. Are you sure your traction was "on"? Every time you start the car, it's "on". Pressing the button turns it OFF. A friend of mine thought she had to press the button to turn it on, and I had to tell her she was turning it off ever time she pressed the button.

Not to sound condescending, but buying XDrive for traction in the rain sounds crazy to me.
I'm using "traction on" so people can understand.
They get lost when you say DTC or DSC, or everything off. lol

My 535xi has the same tires as my 335i.

DTC/DSC apply the ABS, cut the fuel, and distribut the power to the wheels that have traction...it's not just "braking".

You might think it's hard to make it spin, but I am telling you it's not from personal experience. Like I said, this was in the snow, all aids were ON, RPM was around 1k-1.3k, engine load as 10% (if even), speed was around 7mph.
The car did a 180.

I was making a left turn from a stop sign.
I stopped at the stop sign, started to make the left turn, half way into the turn when you are supposed to straighten the car out, I did. As I began to turn the wheel to straighten the car out, the tail kept kicking out as if I was flooring the car and drifting the turn. The momentum carried it all the way to a 180 degree rotation and I was facing oncoming traffic.
The road was so slippery that all the back tires had to do was break traction, and they never got it back untill the car came to a complete stop.

I am not making this up to make the car look bad, and I also paid attention to every detail as you can see.

MAYBE there was an ice match where my rear wheels made contact, but that little ice patch was all it took to keep the wheels sliding even in snow, not ice.
      01-07-2010, 03:59 PM   #135
gstuart
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i X-Drive

Garage List
2010 E90 335i X-drive  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
2008 M Roadster  [0.00]
I have had my 335i for 3 years, with Bridgestone Blizzaks for winter. Still, I am tired of getting stuck on the slightest up hills with 300 lb/ft torque just spinning the wheels! Yesterday, test drove a 335xi on all season's. It was -20C and the roads were slick. Traction pulling away, accelerating in straight line and turning in was better with the xi without winters!! Braking was an altogether different story - advantage to winter tires (even on RWD,) Give me winters any day for winter driving. That said, I will probably order a 335xi with my lease up in April. As I will be getting M Sport Pkg, I will fit my current winter set on the xi and plan to be unstoppable in the snow!!!

Now I just need to figure out the suspension mod's as I am accustomed to driving with sport packages and the "soft" xi suspension does not exactly excite me. I am thinking Dinan stage 2 - any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 10:10 PM   #136
Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstuart View Post
I have had my 335i for 3 years, with Bridgestone Blizzaks for winter. Still, I am tired of getting stuck on the slightest up hills with 300 lb/ft torque just spinning the wheels! Yesterday, test drove a 335xi on all season's. It was -20C and the roads were slick. Traction pulling away, accelerating in straight line and turning in was better with the xi without winters!! Braking was an altogether different story - advantage to winter tires (even on RWD,) Give me winters any day for winter driving. That said, I will probably order a 335xi with my lease up in April. As I will be getting M Sport Pkg, I will fit my current winter set on the xi and plan to be unstoppable in the snow!!!

Now I just need to figure out the suspension mod's as I am accustomed to driving with sport packages and the "soft" xi suspension does not exactly excite me. I am thinking Dinan stage 2 - any thoughts?

Yea that's the only thing.
Xi is a bit on the soft side....too soft for me for a spirited drive, but very comfy.
I'd like to make it just a bit stiffer.
      01-08-2010, 07:42 AM   #137
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstuart View Post

dinan is a joke. just get a set of kws v1 or v3. Check the link in my sig for all the xi parts available.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 09:33 AM   #138
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
dinan is a joke. just get a set of kws v1 or v3. Check the link in my sig for all the xi parts available.
That REALLY is a big list Prowess! Do the split arm rest sooner, rather than later,you won't be sorry, it makes driving SO much more comfortable. Do it yourself though, it's very simple. My dealer messed up mine by leaving off the spring, and I had to re do it myself. It was so easy!
      01-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #139
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
That REALLY is a big list Prowess! Do the split arm rest sooner, rather than later,you won't be sorry, it makes driving SO much more comfortable. Do it yourself though, it's very simple. My dealer messed up mine by leaving off the spring, and I had to re do it myself. It was so easy!
Yeah I cant wait to get the split arm rest! But I was actually referring to the link below my sig, which will lead to the xi suspension compatibility list.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 12:43 PM   #140
gstuart
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i X-Drive

Garage List
2010 E90 335i X-drive  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
2008 M Roadster  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
Any concern with end of lease issues with the KWS? Also, how does it ride compared to a RWD stock Sport Package suspension.

While we're at it, other mods I was considering was Dinan Stage 2 softwear and BMW performance exhaust (to fit with the M Sport rear bumper) Warranty and end of lease are concerns - hence these choices. Anyone actually have issues that needed Dinan to step in and warranty, if so, how did it go?
Appreciate 0