E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Bilstein B6/B8 Struts/Shocks for XI!!!!

12-22-2009, 09:46 PM   #177
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e X-Drive

i just got my Bilstein's installed today by Matt. to be honest the difference between Bilstein's and OEM shocks is not huge. it's a tad bit smoother but in no way feels like oem. all in all i guess it is ok as i would eventually need to get these anyway b/c stock shocks dont last too long
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 09:32 AM   #178
AH LC
Back to drive auto... sigh
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 335xi w/ m-package

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolkino View Post
RPI Equipped!

tel. 604.944.0494
fax. 604.944.1797
www.rpiequipped.com
email: tom@rpiequipped.com
Thank you for the information.

'10 Bayerische Motoren Werke e92 Alpine White 335xi
M-Sport / Bilstein B8 Sprint / Eibach Pro-Kit / Smoke Anodized Front Grill / Body-coloured Reflectors / MTech Rear Trunk Lip Spoiler / AFE Stage 2 DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS SSQV BOV
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 10:26 AM   #179
virtualbong
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifidawg09 View Post
Can you guys post a review of the Bilstein socks on a 335xi. I am thinking of going this route for a quicker install over coil overs and a closer to stock car
When its time to sell I don't want buyers to be put off that I have aftermarket coil over suspension. However I want to hear that this is a worthy upgrade over stock shocks.
I don't understand how that would make the install shorter? Don't you still need to take the top boot for the aftermarket stuff so in actuality it will still take the same amount of time for coilovers or shocks/springs?
2011 BMW 550i M-Sport (Jet Black/Cinnamon Brown) - 4/30/14 | 2007 BMW 328xi e92 (Jet Black/Coral Red) - PAST | 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (Ivory White/Stone) - PAST | 2005 Acura TSX (Obsidian Black/Black) - PAST
| 1998 Acura Integra (Black/Black) - PAST
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 10:36 PM   #180
MWcoupe
24k GOLD
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M4

has anyone install the blistein shocks with the stock springs? im looking into changing the shocks but keeping oem springs...my car is at 40k miles and im in nyc where potholes ruined my suspension..

so question is should i get new springs too?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 06:42 AM   #181
mthomas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine330 View Post
has anyone install the blistein shocks with the stock springs? im looking into changing the shocks but keeping oem springs...my car is at 40k miles and im in nyc where potholes ruined my suspension..

Bump
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 06:12 AM   #182
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:

Well, I'm getting the Bilstein Sports for use with lowering springs & Eibach lowering springs for my 328ix. I like the Eibachs because they don't lower as much as the H&R's & are supposedly not as harsh a ride.

If you're going with Bilsteins & stock springs, make sure you get the HD B6 version shocks that are NOT made for lowering springs.

Go here to see specific part numbers for your car for either the HD's or Sport's:

http://cart.bilsteinus.com/search/mm.../drivetype=AWD

If you are ever contemplating lowering the car by any amount with springs - I would do the springs at same time as shocks. Believe me, you'll thank yourself after you do the swap that you don't have to do it twice - or if you're paying someone to install - you'll save $$.

Springs are only another $250 on top of shock price. Which, if you're looking for the best price on Bilsteins - get them from Turner Motorsports. Thay have them on sale in the $500 range until end of March.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-...-packages.aspx
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit

Last edited by 1QuikWS6; 03-23-2011 at 06:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 07:31 AM   #183
Babydragon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

I've heard that the Eibachs get bouncy after a few thousand miles though on the xi. That's a waste in itself seeing that you get this setup installed and after 10000 miles you need to buy new springs and have them installed. Youve already wasted money on the incorrect springs and then after a year you spend another $250 to buy the correct springs and have those installed. I say do it right the first time.
With Eibachs on an xi, that is a waste of money.

[QUOTE=1QuikWS6;9192835]
Quote:

Well, I'm getting the Bilstein Sports for use with lowering springs
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 08:23 AM   #184
Patsfan123
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajduk View Post
I've heard that the Eibachs get bouncy after a few thousand miles though on the xi. That's a waste in itself seeing that you get this setup installed and after 10000 miles you need to buy new springs and have them installed.

Well, I'm getting the Bilstein Sports for use with lowering springs
Where did you hear that they get bouncy? Are you going with H&R springs?They are the only ones out there for xi.
I was set on buying Bilstein Sports and E92 328i Eibachs..
      03-23-2011, 11:44 AM   #185
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
I've heard that the Eibachs get bouncy after a few thousand miles though on the xi. That's a waste in itself seeing that you get this setup installed and after 10000 miles you need to buy new springs and have them installed. Youve already wasted money on the incorrect springs and then after a year you spend another $250 to buy the correct springs and have those installed. I say do it right the first time.
I never heard that either?

Do you have any posts to reference that state that?

Basically, the primary function of shocks/struts is to control/dampen the springs. When you have a car that bounces many times when hitting bumps, it's usually because the shocks are shot - not the springs.

Not usual for springs to go bad unless they are made from inferior material, have been overloaded constantly, or someone decided to use a torch to cut off coils in order to create their own 'lowering' springs - heat removes the temper of the spring...

Eibach has a good rep with aftermarket suspension so I don't think it would be the spring quality (all though it is possible to get a bad one here or there).

Question is; if the bouncy Eibachs story is true, were they installed with factory shocks (that are not made to dampen/control lowering springs)?

I see a lot of members simply throwin a set of lowering springs on factory shocks - most of the time on shocks with quite a bit of mileage on them.

If that is the case, then I can understand bouncy springs - but it's not the fault of the springs.

All Eibach does not list a specific spring for xi, there are quite a few members running the appropriate 335i or 328i springs on ix cars with absolutely no problems or bouncing issues that I have read.

If you're worried about the Eibach app - then go with H&R's. Just know that the drop will be greater
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #186
henry418
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajduk View Post

Not true... the springs itself don't go bad it's the factory shocks that go bad, which causes the bounciness. Unless it's really bad quality springs, they won't don't go bad and need replacement. Eibachs certainly aren't bad quality.
Appreciate 0