E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Squeaking/spinning when braking

01-23-2024, 07:52 PM   #1
Amazed
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i E93 M Sport

Squeaking/spinning when braking

Hoping someone can diagnose this as myself and my mechanic can't.

Recently whenever I brake (especially downhill) there is a high pitched squealing/spinning sound towards the end of braking and shortly after completely stopping.

It sounds like a bearing or belt. This happened not long after an accessory belt replacement but everything looks OK there.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fdi...ew?usp=sharing

Stock E93 335i 2007 N54 other than a JB4. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 02:23 PM   #2
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

I had to replace all of my wheel bearings at around 160k miles. It squeaked while on the freeway. It's a pretty inexpensive and quick repair.

But squealing when braking usually indicates the brake pads need replacing
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 08:17 AM   #3
Scubudo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
After watching the vid, I agree with you that it isn't the brakes (because it appears to happen right after you come to a complete stop).
It sounds like one of the belt driven pulleys to me. So If I couldn't locate the source, I would start with changing the tensioner and idler pully (because it is fairly cheap and simple)
Before that I would check the motor mounts, and everything just in front of the belts for contact with a pulley or belt (since it is possible that the inertia of the stop could allow a little foreword movement of the engine causing something to rub.
It will be interesting to know what you find as the cause.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 11:26 PM   #4
Amazed
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i E93 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubudo View Post
After watching the vid, I agree with you that it isn't the brakes (because it appears to happen right after you come to a complete stop).
It sounds like one of the belt driven pulleys to me. So If I couldn't locate the source, I would start with changing the tensioner and idler pully (because it is fairly cheap and simple)
Before that I would check the motor mounts, and everything just in front of the belts for contact with a pulley or belt (since it is possible that the inertia of the stop could allow a little foreword movement of the engine causing something to rub.
It will be interesting to know what you find as the cause.
Thanks, your assessment makes sense and would explain why it’s worse downhill. We’ll check for all of that this weekend. If we find/fix the problem I’ll share an update here
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 10:06 AM   #5
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

My car recently developed a lip on the edge of the front brake rotors causing a similar noise at slower speeds. It's rubs on the pad just slightly and it's very annoying. Time for new rotors. Wheel bearing can make rolling/grinding sound if they go bad. Lift your car and check for these things.
Appreciate 0