E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > What are the benefits of X Drive?

02-11-2010, 08:31 AM   #45
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markinva View Post
That all applies to air conditioning too. Focus on the negatives only much? Although I would say decreased performance is very debatable.
Air conditioning is standard in all BMWs, so it doesn't effect cost/performance between models.

All other things being equal, heavier AWD BMWs with truck-like suspensions don't perform or handle as well as RWD models...
      02-11-2010, 11:03 AM   #46
Chrisred
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi coupe

I have a 2009 335xi coupe. Comes with sport package which includes sport suspension. I love it in winter and I'm rolling on low profile 18" wheels. I never get stuck and it feels better than my escalade as it's more stable. It's as fast as it has better take off. The car Is low so I font know where u guys are coming from. Mayb they're talking about the sedan. That's the only prob. That it's low and u have to clean the snow of your fenders as it hits the ground and rubs on tires. Other than that I love the car and think u should go for it.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 11:06 AM   #47
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisred View Post
I have a 2009 335xi coupe. Comes with sport package which includes sport suspension. I love it in winter and I'm rolling on low profile 18" wheels. I never get stuck and it feels better than my escalade as it's more stable. It's as fast as it has better take off. The car Is low so I font know where u guys are coming from. Mayb they're talking about the sedan. That's the only prob. That it's low and u have to clean the snow of your fenders as it hits the ground and rubs on tires. Other than that I love the car and think u should go for it.
FYI, the xDrive Sport Package (ZSP) does NOT include a sport suspension...

Last edited by Outlaw 06; 02-11-2010 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 11:55 AM   #48
markinva
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 G82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDiCandido View Post
Air conditioning is standard in all BMWs, so it doesn't effect cost/performance between models.

All other things being equal, heavier AWD BMWs with truck-like suspensions don't perform or handle as well as RWD models...
this 335xi with it's "truck like suspension" beat the rwd around the autozeitung test track b y 2.7 seconds.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/track24.html

that's on a dry track. On the roads I drive, rwd is a heck of a lot more fun, but also twitchier and scarier, especially in the rain.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #49
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
this 335xi with it's "truck like suspension" beat the rwd around the autozeitung test track b y 2.7 seconds.

that's on a dry track. On the roads I drive, rwd is a heck of a lot more fun, but also twitchier and scarier, especially in the rain.
I saw that. C&D also tested the XI a couple months back and it beat the i, 0-60 and in the 1/4 mile by two tenths for both tests in the dry.

While the i is more fun and has a better looking suspension, the most recent tests on the XI point very contrary to what people think.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 01:28 PM   #50
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

Quote:

No offense, but i find what you are writing here to be about as extreme as the stuff above about the "truck like suspension." AWD makes absolutely no difference in whether a car is "twitchier" and it has little impact overall in the rain. What AWD does is improve acceleration (acceleration defined broadly as any circumstance in which you are trying to get power to the road) in conditions of low traction - that's all. If you are pulling away from a curb or trying to get up a hill, AWD can make a huge difference. Otherwise, it contributes absolutely nothing to traction or handling, and tires are far more important.

In situations of hard acceleration, an AWD car with sufficient torque will be faster than RWD car because it gets the power the road better. With the N52, the torque is not sufficient for that to be an issue so you simply loose performance with the higher weight. With the N54, I would expect Xdrive to improve acceleration slightly.

Having driven both xdrive and RWD N52 vehicles, I can't honestly tell much of a difference. the Xdrive is vaguely less quick (particularly in the mid range) but the loss in performance is no greater than what I've felt switching from a loaner sedan to my wagon. I basically see 0-60 as a non-issue. In fact, the only real disadvantages I see to Xdrive are loss in MPG, arguably greater mechanical complexity, and lack of availability of the ZSP suspension. None of these issues would stop me if I felt like Xdrive fit my needs.

I agree with the poster above who observed it is all about need. If I lived in an area with lots of snow, I'd personally have Xdrive and a good set of snow tires. But, for anybody outside the snowbelt (including most people living in Virginia) I seriously doubt AWD would offer any real advantages.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 01:44 PM   #51
Wonka
Racer 5
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335i xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent&Humble View Post
Thanks guys. I wish there was some sort of springs which make the car look just like the OEM sports suspension.
Check the pictures in my signature link. They display the transition from stock to being lowered with KW V3.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 10:49 PM   #52
powerbarsk8ter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 xi

Does BMW get four wheels? if so, AWD is ideal, why do you want a car with only 2wd either FWD or RWD, especially with 300 horses unleashed at 1500 rpm, after a tune, even more. If you like to break loose on hard start or turns but loath the truck like suspension, I love the sure footing on WOT and sharp turns, and those truck like suspension happened to come in handy when I rolled in the packed snow and took 'float' over 'loose', cause you only float up and down, but you could loose you ride.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 12:33 AM   #53
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerbarsk8ter View Post
Does BMW get four wheels? if so, AWD is ideal, why do you want a car with only 2wd either FWD or RWD, especially with 300 horses unleashed at 1500 rpm, after a tune, even more. If you like to break loose on hard start or turns but loath the truck like suspension, I love the sure footing on WOT and sharp turns, and those truck like suspension happened to come in handy when I rolled in the packed snow and took 'float' over 'loose', cause you only float up and down, but you could loose you ride.
what is "WOT?"

by the i love my XI and i live in Ga. yea i know i know.......whats wrong with this guy he never sees snow where he is at. but you know i still like that if i was to travel to up north i wouldnt have to get a set of tires or anything like that. plus me and the wife do tons of roads trips and the road conditions i have driven make me glad i opted for the XI.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 01:48 AM   #54
JerzeySux
UrMother
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 335xiE92

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopealle View Post
what is "WOT?"

by the i love my XI and i live in Ga. yea i know i know.......whats wrong with this guy he never sees snow where he is at. but you know i still like that if i was to travel to up north i wouldnt have to get a set of tires or anything like that. plus me and the wife do tons of roads trips and the road conditions i have driven make me glad i opted for the XI.
Wide Open Throttle
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 10:11 AM   #55
dakine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: mineral white e92 M3

coming from an M3, you might be disappointed with the 335i too. All depends on your point of view.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #56
howiedds
D.D.S.
Rep
Drives: 12 AW E70 X5d

it's simple..you live up north/northeast/ where there is a change in seasons..and SNOW..get the XI... if you have sunny-raining weather...get the i. none of this get a beater talk...some people want to drive their BMW year round. Im originally from Cali, if i was still there id definitely get an i...now im in NY...XI is the best for this climate....just this past week, I saw plenty of rwd "i" stuck in the snow...spinning out their tires, rears swinging out on the lightest covering of snow when turning a light.. some with all seasons, but most of em are stupid and still have summer tires on (thats another topic....)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #57
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeySux View Post
Wide Open Throttle
got it
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 05:01 AM   #58
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
I never get into these types of debates but I choose the xi over the i. I have four wheels and I want them all accelerating and helping me with traction. Plus for the snow we have had in MD and going into the mountains and skiing the xi is unstoppable.

In this climate, a tuned xi is the perfect car. And ive lived in boston for 4 years and there was plenty of snow. The little extra weight means nothing compared to the traction, acceleration and like has been said many magazines have gotten faster times with the xi.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 08:35 PM   #59
howiedds
D.D.S.
Rep

today in front of my house, I saw/heard a poor black e90 spin out for 10 mins in the same parking spot in front of me.... got in my car, my fiancee was asking "are we gonna be stuck like that too???" I just smiled, pressed the dsc button once and drove off.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 01:28 AM   #60
Showsol2211
Blacked out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

Here is my experience. I just got my XI about 4 weeks ago and so far I love it! I've owned several different AWD/4x4 vehicles and this is by far one of my favorites. The handling in snow is great! Here in Minnesota we got about 8" of snow the day after I got the car and I had to rush into the office. I must say I had NO problem getting through the snow where everyone else was getting stuck in driveways, intersections, and highways. So far I am VERY impressed and will defenitely buy another BMW for a second car.

Car: 2006 330xi
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 01:33 AM   #61
JerzeySux
UrMother
South Korea
Rep

Decreased performance on the XI is ALOT to look into. There is a significant difference between the xi and i when it comes to all out performance and speed.
Drivetrain loss and extra weight is very noticable.

XI is only for people who wants a AWD car and has alot of snow days.

Stock Xi's will lose to G37's on a roll at high speed so dont be suprised.

But a tuned XI does its job right.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 02:43 AM   #62
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeySux View Post
Decreased performance on the XI is ALOT to look into. There is a significant difference between the xi and i when it comes to all out performance and speed.
Drivetrain loss and extra weight is very noticable.

XI is only for people who wants a AWD car and has alot of snow days.

Stock Xi's will lose to G37's on a roll at high speed so dont be suprised.

But a tuned XI does its job right.
Are you kidding me, lol? What a load of nonsense. Please go to the track or read some magazines showing where the xi is faster then the i. All out performance and speed you say? Um the xi's are faster in the 1/4, can get around the track faster and can reach the same top speed. So.......what the heck are you talking about?

I dont like when people randomly make up stuff. I can show you bmw's numbers and independent magazine tests showing the xi faster then the i. Please show me documentation or videos that show the xi's performance and speed being so much worse then the i as you have stated in your post.

This is why I never get involved in these threads. So much ignorance on both sides and usually nobody has any idea what the heck they are talking about. Im out.

Last edited by deletedelete; 02-15-2010 at 02:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 02:50 AM   #63
JerzeySux
UrMother
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
Are you kidding me, lol? What a load of nonsense. Please go to the track or read some magazines showing where the xi is faster then the i. All out performance and speed you say? Um the xi's are faster in the 1/4, can get around the track faster and can reach the same top speed. So.......what the heck are you talking about?
Sorry if i offended you but what i meant was in street driving in real life.
I have a xi myself. 0-60 xi is a bit faster due to traction same goes with 1/4 but i's trap higher. On rolls xi is SLOWER by a significant amount. Im not saying that xi's are slow or your cars slow but with the same mods you have on a 335i will be much faster in everyway other than deadstop. Off course i never tracked my car so i wont know but i wouldnt be suprised if the "i" handles better than the xi's on the track as well.

xi's are quicker to 1/4 cuz of traction. i's are faster in 1/4 mile regaurdless(traps higher).
i's will reach top speed faster than the xi's.

I've done tons of stock to stock xi vs i pulls and tuned ones, without traction issue the i's will win everytime.

Are you trying to say that xi's drivetrain loss doesnt affect the speed at all? lol
Where did you see in magazines that xi's trap faster than i's?
How does the drivetrain and extra weight not make the xi slower?

Last edited by JerzeySux; 02-15-2010 at 03:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 03:20 PM   #64
howiedds
D.D.S.
Rep

I think he quit the convo... But i think you are right, rolling its a tad slower... On the street...it may depend on the driver, not the car...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #65
OneManXi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiedds View Post
today in front of my house, I saw/heard a poor black e90 spin out for 10 mins in the same parking spot in front of me.... got in my car, my fiancee was asking "are we gonna be stuck like that too???" I just smiled, pressed the dsc button once and drove off.
hahah way too harsh
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #66
Willizm
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335Xi and 01 Trans Am WS6

I got an XI and love it. Needed a car that is still a blast to drive and never have to worry about what conditions are like outside to use it. It's quick off the line. Got 0-60 in 4.5 seconds with just a JB3. Both cars are great, but are you really going to ditch the AWD for a RWD when the only gain it really has is trap speed? If you could use the AWD for snow and it's your primary car, then get that. The M3 is even better then the 335i in the handling department and you already have that(granted it's thousands of miles away). Test drive both and if ride height is an issue get some KW v3's and enjoy the piece of mind.
Appreciate 0