E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY Powered seat retrofit (WIP)

02-24-2017, 05:36 AM   #309
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnudsonM3 View Post
I bought a set of e92 M seats and installed the driver. Only the positional seat controls work.

The seats have heat, memory and bolster support.

Car and seats are post 03/07 build date.

My question is about the connectors:

1)The main connector that connects the seat to the car
2) the small black one that has male and female ends.
3) A mystery connector that's white. I believe its to power the memory, heat, lumbar and bolster.

Can someone help me with #3? #2 and #3 both come from the seat. #2 has a connection coming from the car so its a non issue.

Edit: I should add, I am wondering if I can splice the wires from #3 and connect them to #2.
3: sounds like the active headrest plug (small white with 2 pins?).

what are you questions mate?

Every thing you need to connect them is in the tread, please read it at least twice.

You will need to know the exact year of your car, the exact year of your seats. This is because different years have different pinouts.

If the seat moves (up/down, forward/back), then the seat has power.

If the heater does not work then connect power to pin 9 (yellow seat plug) and GND to pin 8, you will also need pin 1 to pin 38 of the jbe (driver side) and pin1 to pin34 to jbe (pass side).

For the lumbar connect pins 7 (yellow seat plug) to 12v and pin 13 to gnd.

You may need to connect the can bus too.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 04:00 PM   #310
dancing__narwhal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 m340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by azx33 View Post
I have read the thread and would like to do the seat swap. I have a 2006 325i with heated seats all options and a 2011 335i with non-heated seats with power and memory. Both E90s.

I would like to swap the 06 seats into my 11. Does anyone know for sure if this will work or not. I am a EE and will figure it out, but I am curious if anyone had tried this and found it to be a no go before I waste my time.

Thanks
Did you have any luck with this? I'm also trying to swap 2006 seats into a 2011. So far I get no power or anything when I plug in the 2006 seats in my 2011...

Anyone have any idea what is needed to accomplish this?

Attached are pictures of my the wiring for each seat. The first picture is my current seat (2011), the second picture is the seat I am trying to swap in (2006). Both seats are powered, memory, and lumbar. The '06 seat is sport and heated. The '11 seat is non-sport and non-heated.

I'm less concerned about the heating functions as I am getting the power to work. I mostly want the sport seats.

Edit: I was able to get power working for both seats. I do have a seatbelt warning light however. It looking at the connectors below you can see the wire colors are different for those connectors. Anyone have an idea how to correct that?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 05:54 AM   #311
gateguardian
Rep
Drives: E46

Hi all,

Would anyone know if E60 and E90 wire harnesses are the same?
i.e. would an E60 wire harness plug into an E90 one?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 08:44 AM   #312
WhiteBeard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: slowly

Took out my non-sport driver seat (heat + power + memory) and installed sport driver seat (heat + power + memory + lumbar and bolster) into my 08/2007 e90 328xi (USA if that matters). Seat that I installed is from a 2007 335i post 03/2007 production date judging by the fact that it has pin 7 instead of pin 9 for lumbar and side bolsters

Now positioning works, heat and memory works, but no lumbar and bolster and I have 2 lights on my dashboard: seatbelt and airbag I need to pass safety to sell my car and I'm puzzled as to what connectors/wires to add to at least sort lights off dashboard (lumbar and bolster is lower priority)?

I searched this thread and best I could find was post #52 in this thread on page 3 that shows wires/pins from 14 to 19 are for seat belt and side air bag (please see picture attached). Additionally wires/pins 7 and 13 are needed for bolster and lumbar. So am I correct I need to make sure wires/pins 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 and 19 are getting power and ground for seatbelt and side air-bag light to go off on dashboard? And I need to provide pins 7 (steady plus) and 13 (ground) in order for lumbar and bolsters to work?

My cars wiring harness end is only missing wires/pins 7, all other wires/pins seem to be present - so I don't understand then why I got seatbelt and side airbag lights on dashboard? Is there some ground connection on the seat itself I may have missed to bolt down during installation or maybe a fusebox has some fuses missing?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 08:46 AM   #313
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
If you didn't disconnect the battery before unplugging the seats, you'll get those errors.
Just needs to be cleared out.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2017, 09:53 AM   #314
arhoads335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i grand coupe xdrive

Garage List
2008 BMW 128I  [0.00]
Currently have M3 seats in my e92 that came with sport seats everything on passenger seat works only the drivers seat's bolsters and lumbar do not work. I did not install these the previous owner did so for this thread I'm under standing I need to soder a wire to go to pin 7 from a power wire on car side and do the same for a ground wire to pin 13. Is there a way to do it without sodering or is that the best way?
08 128i 6MT (SOLD) / 08 335i 6MT Pure stage 1 (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 11:34 PM   #315
dancing__narwhal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 m340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by arhoads335i View Post
Currently have M3 seats in my e92 that came with sport seats everything on passenger seat works only the drivers seat's bolsters and lumbar do not work. I did not install these the previous owner did so for this thread I'm under standing I need to soder a wire to go to pin 7 from a power wire on car side and do the same for a ground wire to pin 13. Is there a way to do it without sodering or is that the best way?
Soldering is how I did it. On the driver side I had one pin that controlled seat motion and one that controlled lumbar and bolsters. I confirmed which coin was which by swapping them around and seeing which functions worked when plugged in.

Once I identified the two pins that needed power, I soldered a wire from one to the other. Then I was able to plug the power into either one and it powers both. Hope that helps!

Also you can code the seatbelt and airbag warning lights out using an adapter like the Carista. I also had a fault for the active headrests since the seats I swapped didn't have them. I think that has to be coded out using Inpa or by a professional coder.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2017, 08:42 PM   #316
Mate
Rep
Drives: e93 n53

Hi Gents.
I readed the whole thread. Just to make sure before i start.
I have e93 2008 with non sport heated,memory,electric,lumbar (Left wheel drive EU version)
And i want to swap in for sport seats e93 2010 heated,memory,electric,lumbar,bolster.(US version)

As lumbar and bolster uses the same motor. Normally all should be plug and play correct ?

Or still i need to solder from pin 4 to 7 and 8 to 13 ?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 07:32 AM   #317
arhoads335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i grand coupe xdrive

Garage List
2008 BMW 128I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mate View Post
Hi Gents.
I readed the whole thread. Just to make sure before i start.
I have e93 2008 with non sport heated,memory,electric,lumbar (Left wheel drive EU version)
And i want to swap in for sport seats e93 2010 heated,memory,electric,lumbar,bolster.(US version)

As lumbar and bolster uses the same motor. Normally all should be plug and play correct ?

Or still i need to solder from pin 4 to 7 and 8 to 13 ?
I think you should be good because both are 2008 + seats, and your currents have a lumbar motor so the new ones should get power to the lumbar motor that is used for the bolsters. I do not know if the connectors are different from EU to US though, i would think not to save money
08 128i 6MT (SOLD) / 08 335i 6MT Pure stage 1 (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 03:15 PM   #318
Mate
Rep
Drives: e93 n53

Quote:
Originally Posted by arhoads335i View Post
I think you should be good because both are 2008 + seats, and your currents have a lumbar motor so the new ones should get power to the lumbar motor that is used for the bolsters. I do not know if the connectors are different from EU to US though, i would think not to save money
Today installed seats. All as you say went bolt on plug and play.
All controls bolster lumbar memory working. Except passenger occupancy sensor.
No errors on dash board regarding airbag and etc.
I tested the passenger seat unbackled while engine running. No seatbelt sign show up on dashboard. In reingold software i can clearly see when seat belt is on and off.

Any ideas regarding occupancy sensor for passenger ? How to make it active ?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 11:39 AM   #319
MichalS
Registered
Rep
Drives: 120d Coupe 2008

Hi Folks,

i retrofited sport heated seats. All ok except one airbag error 0093C1 which means seat occupancy. There is one wire with two pins and round socket coming out of the inner rail of the passenger seat. I couldn't figure out where it goes so i left it not connected. Maybe this is the reason. See the picture below. Any idea where it goes? there is no place for it in the big yellow plug.

Last edited by MichalS; 09-27-2017 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 05:11 AM   #320
mr.e90
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Hi guys,

I'm currently doing the power seats retrofit on my 2006 325i. I followed the link on the 1st page of this thread of the DIY guide. I ran power and negative to both seats and getting ground from where the seats bolt down to. The passenger side works fine everything is working except the driver side is not. The issue is the seat is not going back nor forward but the lumbar and inflatable sides is working fine. What could the issue be? Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 12:37 PM   #321
CarManNJ
Rep
Drives: Too Many to count

E92 seats in older car w/o K-BUS

Great thread that I read twice and some parts more.
Kudos to woodpecka and dasammy and many others who have chimed in.

I purchased a set of e92 coupe seats from a 328i US totaled crashed car that needs to go into an 80 BMW, specifically an e30. Real old school and definitely no power ��

Priority :
  1. Movement back
  2. and forth
  3. Heat ( not sure if I have it)
  4. memory on Drivers
I wired the seats and then move and then die. From reading here seems that I need to add K-CAN to pins 2 & 3 as described here.

However, this car has no BUS. From another forum, I read that applying a 5VDC to pins 2/3 will do the trick. Using a voltage regulator I can down grade 12v from the car battery to 5v, but at what amp rate?

Questions:
Can anyone tell how much amps that pins 2/3 will tolerate? 1 amp, 3 amps? I don't want to ruin anything in the module.

Do I have heat on these seats from the picture?

See images first is drivers, second is passenger.
Attached Images

Last edited by CarManNJ; 10-31-2017 at 04:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 04:41 PM   #322
ss4drhotrod
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008

Smile E90 Seats installed but no K_CAN available - Custom build

Previous (CarManNJ) has the exact situation that i have. I also wired the seats and then move and then die. From reading here seems that I need to add K-CAN to pins 2 & 3 as described here.

However, this car has no BUS. From another forum, I also read that applying a 5VDC to pins 2/3 will do the trick. Using a voltage regulator I can down grade 12v from the car battery to 5v, but at what amp rate?

Questions:
1. Can anyone tell how much amps that pins 2/3 will tolerate? 1 amp, 3 amps? I also don't want to ruin anything in the module.
2. What is the usual voltage on the K-CAN?

thx for your time and support!!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 08:57 AM   #323
CarManNJ
Rep
Drives: Too Many to count

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss4drhotrod View Post
Previous (CarManNJ) has the exact situation that i have. I also wired the seats and then move and then die. From reading here seems that I need to add K-CAN to pins 2 & 3 as described here.

However, this car has no BUS. From another forum, I also read that applying a 5VDC to pins 2/3 will do the trick. Using a voltage regulator I can down grade 12v from the car battery to 5v, but at what amp rate?

Questions:
1. Can anyone tell how much amps that pins 2/3 will tolerate? 1 amp, 3 amps? I also don't want to ruin anything in the module.
2. What is the usual voltage on the K-CAN?

thx for your time and support!!

I placed a single switch inline with the Power, through a relay tied inline thru the ignition so that its live when the ignition is on, this allows me to adjust on the drivers/passenger seat, properly for as long as I am fiddling with the seat switches. When it dies after non use, I turn my switch off and drive into the sunset. As the only driver, I rarely have to adjust my seat again.

There are some Arduino solutions out there, but I am not confident in their ability to solve this.

If you figure out the K-CAN alternative, do let us know.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 09:58 AM   #324
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

there is so called half-electric seats for e92 and e82 which do not require canbus to use adjust seats
      12-24-2017, 12:46 PM   #325
ss4drhotrod
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008

K_Can Solution for front e9x seats

I am still pursuing an alternative to the K_Can issue. I am still trying to find out what amperage the K_Can carries. Since pin 2 (+) and pin 3 (-) are about 18 gauge wire, i am assuming amperage would be at the 1 to 2 amp range.

I found a solid state voltage reducer (to 5V) at 2 amps and will try it out.

When i have run a few tests i will update the post.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 05:38 AM   #326
flight1
Registered
Rep

Hi at all.

I ' ve just 1/2 retrofitted .

My e91 is business model with non electric seats; Now i found alacantara Sports Heated seats with side bolsters ( no lumbar)

How many wires needs fpr each seat? 4 ?

I took main console switch too so, i only have to wiring and coding all but my doubt is how many cables i have to pass and link in Junction box .

Thx in advance at all.

P.s. in my seat connector there is only Airbag (2 wires) and couple for seatbelt presence.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 06:57 AM   #327
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

permanent thick positive for heating
permanent thick negative for heating
ignition enabled positive to heating
pwm-modulated heating level
positive to side bolster
negative to side bolster

this is how it is should be from factory
in reality it will work if you wire side bolster wires to permanent heating wires

same for passenger side
      02-05-2018, 07:46 AM   #328
flight1
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
permanent thick positive for heating
permanent thick negative for heating
ignition enabled positive to heating
pwm-modulated heating level
positive to side bolster
negative to side bolster

this is how it is should be from factory
in reality it will work if you wire side bolster wires to permanent heating wires

same for passenger side
I guess.........
Thx so much for support me.
Last question;
This wires must be linked tu fuse box , right? I saw in a retrofit guide that there are other 2 cables that link fuse box to JBBF .. is it true?

About side bolsters i will split pos and neg from Heated system directrly from seat connector. It will be more simple.

Thx again an Bye.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 11:52 AM   #329
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight1 View Post
I guess.........
Thx so much for support me.
Last question;
This wires must be linked tu fuse box , right? I saw in a retrofit guide that there are other 2 cables that link fuse box to JBBF .. is it true?

About side bolsters i will split pos and neg from Heated system directrly from seat connector. It will be more simple.

Thx again an Bye.
negatives go to negative clamp in a footwell
jbbf control only pwm-wires
      02-09-2018, 12:50 PM   #330
Digitalinkartist
MrSixSpeed
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Garage Queen

Swap questions

Thanks to woodpecka and dasammy for making this possible.

I recently secured a full M3 interior I have read through this thread and support documents. As each install is unique I have a few concerns. additionally, i would like to make this install as OEM as possible

Note -
When new seats are plugged/powered to existing wiring only the lumbar pump is working connection#7. This connection was powering the bolsters on my original seats. This is powered by a 10 Amp 18 awg wire (from Fuse Terminal #37). Is it possible a second dedicated 10 Amp fuse powers the bolsters? or will a circuit be completed when the passenger seat is installed and wired correctly?

Question - There is NO existing 12 awg power under seat (see wiring image below)
  • Do I need to add a dedicated 12 agw (30 amp) positive line to fuse box?
  • If yes, Can it be stranded?

Question - Do I need to add a second 12 awg ground to connection#8 (Car side harness)? If yes, Can it be stranded?

Recipient: 2007 E92
Options:
  • Bolsters

Wiring [Car Side]

Seat Harness [Original Driver Seat]

Modules [Original Driver Seat]

Controls (Original Driver Seat)

Donor: 2010 e92 M3
Options:
  • Power Adjust
  • Lumbar
  • Bolsters