E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 07 335i recently bought, #6 misfire, then random misfire, new o2’s, where to start?

08-09-2022, 06:57 PM   #1
flyingspirit55
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

07 335i recently bought, #6 misfire, then random misfire, new o2’s, where to start?

Hello, new to bmw’s, bought car like this, the first step we did was, new battery, put cats, muffler since previous owner took them off, and new secondary o2’s, car starts, sounds like a bucket of bolts but stays running. Initially has code only for #6 misfire then, after a few minutes codes are random misfire 1,3,4,5,6 (not 2?), then p0140 but o2 new secondary voltages are okay but checking on black wire with voltmeter .7mV but rise as we rev the car. But the actron live read it shows .45v b1s2 but .7mV on b2s2. So I don’t know what to make of this.

I plan to buy a Foxwell nt510 elite, since the abs light comes on during turns and airbag light is also on, looks like a Christmas light special on the dash. This scanner worth it?

no mods on car other than cone air filter, so what should we start with, appears all coils and plugs have been changed (maybe previous owner attempted to fix), I searched online and see air flow/map sensor, vanos sensors and of course #6 injector as possible issues.

Occasionally after a few miles and turning on and off it goes into limp mode. It also backfires on deceleration.

But asking for advice on where to tackle this first.

Last edited by flyingspirit55; 08-09-2022 at 10:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 12:17 PM   #2
flyingspirit55
Private
Rep

Anyone?

I’m hoping someone has had a similar problem and resolved it without spending money on sensor after sensor.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 01:08 PM   #3
Stock328xi
Audi/BMW Technician
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

You've got yourself three things you can look at with relative ease (that you've thought of).
If you haven't already, you can swap the plugs and coils (make note of what came from/went where) and see if the misfire remains or follows what was moved (dont move the cyl 6 plug and coil to the same location, but you can move them back together to cyl 6).
Vanos sensors are the same part, so they can also be swapped with one another, however this will typically carry a separate code which you may or may not have had the ability to see.
MAF sensors are also another issue that can cause a problem like that, but so can if the intake, or cone as you mention, comes with an elbow that is not sealed properly.
Air getting into the system behind the MAF sensor can cause a shit sound, the desire to stall, misfires, etc.
Although I'm aware that all I did was slightly elaborate on what you already thought, I hope this helps (I'm at work currently, but have been trying to be more active).

Cheers, and good luck
      08-10-2022, 01:34 PM   #4
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock328xi View Post
You've got yourself three things you can look at with relative ease (that you've thought of).
If you haven't already, you can swap the plugs and coils (make note of what came from/went where) and see if the misfire remains or follows what was moved (dont move the cyl 6 plug and coil to the same location, but you can move them back together to cyl 6).
Vanos sensors are the same part, so they can also be swapped with one another, however this will typically carry a separate code which you may or may not have had the ability to see.
MAF sensors are also another issue that can cause a problem like that, but so can if the intake, or cone as you mention, comes with an elbow that is not sealed properly.
Air getting into the system behind the MAF sensor can cause a shit sound, the desire to stall, misfires, etc.
Although I'm aware that all I did was slightly elaborate on what you already thought, I hope this helps (I'm at work currently, but have been trying to be more active).

Cheers, and good luck
No MAF sensor on 335i.

flyingspirit55 im assuming you checked all spark plugs and they are in good condition.

Is cylinder 6 injector leaking, have you pulled the plug after its been sitting overnight to check for fuel?

What index are the injectors?

If you can get someone to connect the car to ISTA or INPA software, you could have a bit of a better understadning of each component.

The rattling can of bolts you hear is most likely worn waste gate bushing.

Last edited by Wolf 335; 08-10-2022 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2022, 01:45 PM   #5
Stock328xi
Audi/BMW Technician
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
No MAF sensor on 335i.
Didn't even realize the year listed for the car. The 55 does though iirc. Cheers for pointing that out for me
      08-10-2022, 02:39 PM   #6
flyingspirit55
Private
Rep

Thank you

Just switched the coils, misfire still on #6. Will need to buy 14mm 12 point to pull the plugs.

Checked coils with ohm meter could not get reliable reading from center to the terminal, said 20 Megaohms but other coils had no reading so my test isn’t reliable.

Just noticed it has an aftermarket blowoff valve and charge pipe.

Can anyone post their opinion on the foxwell scanner please.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 08:05 AM   #7
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspirit55 View Post
Thank you

Just switched the coils, misfire still on #6. Will need to buy 14mm 12 point to pull the plugs.

Checked coils with ohm meter could not get reliable reading from center to the terminal, said 20 Megaohms but other coils had no reading so my test isn’t reliable.

Just noticed it has an aftermarket blowoff valve and charge pipe.

Can anyone post their opinion on the foxwell scanner please.
Best to search for "foxwell" or "schwaben scan tool" in the search field on the forum. There has been quite a bit of discussion on these few years back. Schwaben scan tool is just a rebranded foxwell sold at ecs tuning.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2022, 09:21 PM   #8
DocMike86
Rep
Drives: 335is Convertible

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631829

Read this thread. My bet is that your engine intakes have never been walnut blasted-my N54 is a 2013 with 33k and it’s going in Monday due to misfires we ruled out as anything else. Be prepared for 1200.00 at the dealer, 900.00 Indy, or 200.00 from the kid hanging out at Harbor Freight. Shop around.

With that year, take a quick peak at your injector index number-you should be able to see it with a flashlight one you pull the dust cover off. You want 12s, ideally.

Just a note about these engines-they burble, misfire on occasion, they talk back, they have a temperament of their own. I don’t daily mine as I work 2.0 miles from home, and it doesn’t get hot enough in that distance to burn of fuel sometimes, resulting in an occasional misfire.

I have a Foxwell 410 that reads and clears most codes, but be aware the BMW brain will not allow some lights to reset until it is satisfied the problem is resolved. It will go off by itself but still be stored depending on code. Recurrent misfires need to be checked, random, don’t get freaky.

Last edited by DocMike86; 08-13-2022 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: Adding
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2022, 10:42 PM   #9
flyingspirit55
Private
Rep

Thanks, took #6 injector out, soaking wet and so was the spark plug, says index 9, some say index 10. Will be pulling others soon.
Appreciate 1
Wolf 3352340.50
      08-13-2022, 11:08 PM   #10
DocMike86
Rep
Drives: 335is Convertible

Good luck, and stay with it. Deferred maintenance is a bitch! Sadly, those injectors would have been replaced by BMW under recall as many were faulty-ALWAYS worth throwing your VIN in the recall search-it’s free.
Appreciate 0