E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Parking: In or Out?

11-04-2007, 12:21 PM   #1
BMCoupe_782
Bavarian Fever
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' e92 328xi TiAg

Parking: In or Out?

Stupid question but interested to find out...

Unfortunately I don't have a garage to park my new e92 in. It bothers me since I will be cleaning it all the time and obsessing over the car being exposed to the elements! Just curious to see how many people have a garage to park their car in vs those who park it outside. I'm betting that those who park it outside put a car cover on of some sort...especially when the weather gets bad. Actually, I've seen some people who park it inside AND put a car cover on it!
| ESS n52 Tune | BMW Performance Intake/Exhaust | LUX H8 v3 AE | GP Thunder 8500K fogs/corners | LED: signals/interior | V1 hardwired | debadge | AC pedals | Performance shift knob/boot | CF e-brake | Aero lip | m3 side skirts/spoiler | MB kidneys | Strut brace | Painted reflectors | Painted Calipers/Hubs | 35% 3M tint | Smoked tails | CF Roundels | 19" Miro 942 | Conti DWS | H&R Springs for xi | Bilstein Shocks| Nxt: Alpine Subs/Amps
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
Pimp Star
Captain
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

In.

"Actually, I've seen some people who park it inside AND put a car cover on it!"

Overly protective.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 12:22 PM   #3
jetblk328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

mine is in my garage. it doesnt have a car cover on it unless i am out of the country and dont drive it for a long time. I would buy some sort of cover for it if i were you.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 12:47 PM   #4
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Park a car...in a garage...in England?
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 01:14 PM   #5
lkn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

you need to move to another house with a garage
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 01:21 PM   #6
Craigito
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16' F82 M4

Garage List
2020 BMW M4   [10.00]
At first I thought this was going to be a nose in or nose out parking. I can't stand douchebags who insist on pulling in reverse to every parking spot (even going inside the grocery store to get some milk). Just last night this SUV took about 7 times to get it into his spot as i'm sitting there in Reverse waiting for this jackass to get out of my way.

Wow..that was way off topic. Sorry to digress. I have a garage. I live in Socal so the weather isn't bad enough here to buy a car cover IMO even if I did park outside. Although if I had a black/dark blue car I might consider one. At least all the ash from the fires is gone now!!!

Current Ride 2016 M4 / Mineral Gray / DCT/ Full Black Leather / 19in Gunmetal / Executive /LED/Ohlinds RT/SSR DP-CP-Intake/AP Essex 9668/Bootmod STG 2/DINAN HE
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 01:29 PM   #7
BMCoupe_782
Bavarian Fever
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' e92 328xi TiAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
Park a car...in a garage...in England?
Yes, yes I know I'm originally from the UK so I know "garage" is not in the equation! Plus, besides the rain the weather doesn't get extremely cold and snow is definitely not in the picture.

Trying to find a good car cover now....
| ESS n52 Tune | BMW Performance Intake/Exhaust | LUX H8 v3 AE | GP Thunder 8500K fogs/corners | LED: signals/interior | V1 hardwired | debadge | AC pedals | Performance shift knob/boot | CF e-brake | Aero lip | m3 side skirts/spoiler | MB kidneys | Strut brace | Painted reflectors | Painted Calipers/Hubs | 35% 3M tint | Smoked tails | CF Roundels | 19" Miro 942 | Conti DWS | H&R Springs for xi | Bilstein Shocks| Nxt: Alpine Subs/Amps
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 01:31 PM   #8
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Always in.

But, if you gotta leave it out, a short amount of time isn't going to hurt anything. Especially is you Zaino.
      11-04-2007, 01:32 PM   #9
Pimp Star
Captain
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigito View Post
At first I thought this was going to be a nose in or nose out parking. I can't stand douchebags who insist on pulling in reverse to every parking spot (even going inside the grocery store to get some milk). Just last night this SUV took about 7 times to get it into his spot as i'm sitting there in Reverse waiting for this jackass to get out of my way.

Wow..that was way off topic. Sorry to digress. I have a garage. I live in Socal so the weather isn't bad enough here to buy a car cover IMO even if I did park outside. Although if I had a black/dark blue car I might consider one. At least all the ash from the fires is gone now!!!
+50

My house was within a few miles of the fire and the water fountain in my backyard was blacken with ash, and the air quality was terrible.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 01:43 PM   #10
forrestpilot
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335I Mblu sprt AT

At home the car is in the garage. Don't have that option at work and park outdoors in parking lot. Was talking to a friend at work who had a new 350Z. He had had a custom cover he used in the work lot. Noticed after a while he was not using and asked why. Said after a while the cover would get dirty and end up scratching his car and decided not to use.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 04:58 PM   #11
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

My m3 and bike own the garage. The 335 stays outside. Im not worried as Ive got 2 coats of liquid glass and one coat of zymol keeping it nice. Such is life.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 05:19 PM   #12
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

I'm lucky so have a big garage....900+ sq feet.

If you don't get a cover, just try and make sure you have at least a few coats of a really good sealant on you car, as was mentioned above.
      11-04-2007, 05:32 PM   #13
tomegun
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 528, 428 GC

Garage List
2014 BMW 528i  [0.00]
My car stays in the garage. I don't know if I would have got my 335 (yet) if I didn't have a garage.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 05:40 PM   #14
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestpilot View Post
At home the car is in the garage. Don't have that option at work and park outdoors in parking lot. Was talking to a friend at work who had a new 350Z. He had had a custom cover he used in the work lot. Noticed after a while he was not using and asked why. Said after a while the cover would get dirty and end up scratching his car and decided not to use.

...my sentiments exactly.
i would NEVER put a car cover on a car that has not been washed that day or at the most the day before. otherwise u r asking for a repaint within a year.

also, within a week of parking outdoors that cover is going to be filthy.
if it rains and the car cover is not some special new kind, moisture will get between your car and your cover. see what happens to your paint after the sun bakes the trapped moisture inside your car cover.

just build a frame with four 4 x 8's or whatever, throw up a hard colored plastic roof on top and presto! u have a garage (without walls).
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 05:46 PM   #15
aldersonjames2002
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
Both my Speedster and my 335i are SUPPOSED to be in the garage, but due to home renovations the 335i is outside in the driveway with the minivan. I have to wait another month or so before we can move stuff out of my other spot in the garage. I have had a few ugly looks from the other moms that come over seeing that the garage is filled with my toys, but come on.... a honda minivan over my bimmer and a porsche... sorry for the rant... touchy subject around my house right now.

James
      11-04-2007, 05:54 PM   #16
GregL
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 CLA45 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigito View Post

I ALWAYS back into a parking space, one of my cousins was backing out of a space not too long ago and was nailed in the rear corner by a driver who was busy looking elsewhere, turns out that according to the insurance industry's standardized handbook regarding private property, the one in reverse is always 100% at fault. However unlike some people who I have no idea how they managed to get a license, I usually reverse straight and dead centre in one go.

My neighbour across the street backs his Porshe into the garage which I do admit I find a bit odd, it might have to do with spacing and proximity to the wall though.

To the OP, if you intend to park outside in the summer and do not find it practical to use a cover as the car is driven frequently, at the least I would recommend using a sunshade to protect your dash and seats.

Edit: For the winter, you can get this special sheet that's approximately the size of your windshield; you lay it over top, open each front door and drape in these fabric tabs then shut them to keep the thing in place. Then in the morning after a snowfall and/or icy rain, you can just shake everything off without having to scrape at the glass.
2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
2001 Infiniti QX4 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 06:50 PM   #17
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
How hard is it to park reverse in?
Its not like people spend 2 hours trying to park, even people park nose in spend so long trying to "straight" the car into the spot.

The only time I park nose in, is when I'm at a gas station/grocery store for a quick grab and go. Or parking lot which designed their spaces diagionally....

There was even once I almost hit at side at an idiot who trying to put reverse and floor his car out of his parking spot....his bumper and my right door has only like inches before he stopped.....apparently he put into reverse and just slam on the gas without even looking....
      11-04-2007, 07:48 PM   #18
tommyv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi coupe

When I bought got my car in august my one car garage was filled with crap. I couldn't bear to leave my car outside anymore. So I broke down and got a shed and cleared out the garage. So this car cost me 2500k more than I expected! My driveway is completely covered by a huge maple tree though. Bird shite galore.......
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 07:58 PM   #19
abmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
I ALWAYS back into a parking space, one of my cousins was backing out of a space not too long ago and was nailed in the rear corner by a driver who was busy looking elsewhere, turns out that according to the insurance industry's standardized handbook regarding private property, the one in reverse is always 100% at fault. However unlike some people who I have no idea how they managed to get a license, I usually reverse straight and dead centre in one go.

My neighbour across the street backs his Porshe into the garage which I do admit I find a bit odd, it might have to do with spacing and proximity to the wall though.

To the OP, if you intend to park outside in the summer and do not find it practical to use a cover as the car is driven frequently, at the least I would recommend using a sunshade to protect your dash and seats.

Edit: For the winter, you can get this special sheet that's approximately the size of your windshield; you lay it over top, open each front door and drape in these fabric tabs then shut them to keep the thing in place. Then in the morning after a snowfall and/or icy rain, you can just shake everything off without having to scrape at the glass.
Your cousin should have looked when he was backing up!!! If he was going forward out of a parking spot and got hit, his insurance would have still paid the claim..
      11-04-2007, 07:59 PM   #20
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

In.

I shudder to think of cars that have to sit outside where anything can happen, be it nature or people. Garaged cars have on fears during hail or devil's night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 08:02 PM   #21
abmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi Coupe

I would park inside definitely!!!
      11-04-2007, 08:10 PM   #22
VVA330
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi

you can always build yourself a car port!
Appreciate 0