E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Bavsound Ghost underseat subwoofer

11-21-2018, 06:50 PM   #1
nikitino25
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Bavsound Ghost underseat subwoofer

Hello, I have searched for about a half hour now and can't find the answer to this question: Are the Bavsound ghost underseat subwoofers by themselves a worthwhile upgrade if you have the Logic 7 system? 2007 E92 335i is what I'm working with here and just looking for some more "thump" with the bass....
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 07:24 PM   #2
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitino25 View Post
Hello, I have searched for about a half hour now and can't find the answer to this question: Are the Bavsound ghost underseat subwoofers by themselves a worthwhile upgrade if you have the Logic 7 system? 2007 E92 335i is what I'm working with here and just looking for some more "thump" with the bass....
The logic 7 system by itself is a good audio system. The subs make a noticeable difference especially if you have a good audio source. I would drop the $$$ on a CIC + Combox before I would buy the subs.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 08:25 PM   #3
kmmd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 E92, ED'15 M6 GC, ED'16 M3

Simple answer is NO.

I’d focus on a new amp first, but if you want “thump,” perhaps a sub option from Musicar NW.
ED '16 M3- Ind Champagne Quartz/Sonoma Beige Full/CF/ZEC/ZDB/ZLP/DCT/M susp/Blk 437M/6NS/415 Hers
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 11:40 PM   #4
PaKii94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
The logic 7 system by itself is a good audio system. The subs make a noticeable difference especially if you have a good audio source. I would drop the $$$ on a CIC + Combox before I would buy the subs.
It's decent but idk about 'good'. There is definitely something missing. Maybe I should mess with the EQ more.

As far as your question OP, I was looking into them too. Apparently they help but not much until you upgrade the amp like others have said. Also there are better cost effective replacements nowadays
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 08:52 AM   #5
Nastymateo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
As a owner of a e90 with the logic 7 and a stand alone 12in sub. This is how I tested if it was a good upgrade when I order my ghost subs I removed my 12 from the car. I wanted to get a feel of what the stock car sounded like again. It wasn't great after removing the 12. Very little bass but it was there so after a week of drive to work 30 mins each way I was used to the stereo being stock.

I upgrade all the speakers at one time including the ghost subs. And I was very happy. Bavsound speakers made me smile as I drove to work again. Even without the 12in sub. The bass was there. Not it's not the boom but it was a big improvement over the stock sound.

Then I place the 12in sub back in the car and everything came together. I had the boom and was in love with the over upgrades. But I wasn't done testing it. I then removed the ghost subs to see if the 12in sub covered all the low notes. Did I even need the ghost sub with the 12 in the trunk? Right away I could hear that something was missing. Was it something big no but there was something I was missing in the bass. For a week I went without the ghost subs.

So with the Bavsound 100 day trial. Feel free to try in. Like or hate it u have 100 days to decide. For me I kept them. But if I didn't have the 12 in sub already it would have been my 1st upgrade
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2018, 12:31 PM   #6
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastymateo View Post
Quote:
As a owner of a e90 with the logic 7 and a stand alone 12in sub. This is how I tested if it was a good upgrade when I order my ghost subs I removed my 12 from the car. I wanted to get a feel of what the stock car sounded like again. It wasn't great after removing the 12. Very little bass but it was there so after a week of drive to work 30 mins each way I was used to the stereo being stock.

I upgrade all the speakers at one time including the ghost subs. And I was very happy. Bavsound speakers made me smile as I drove to work again. Even without the 12in sub. The bass was there. Not it's not the boom but it was a big improvement over the stock sound.

Then I place the 12in sub back in the car and everything came together. I had the boom and was in love with the over upgrades. But I wasn't done testing it. I then removed the ghost subs to see if the 12in sub covered all the low notes. Did I even need the ghost sub with the 12 in the trunk? Right away I could hear that something was missing. Was it something big no but there was something I was missing in the bass. For a week I went without the ghost subs.

So with the Bavsound 100 day trial. Feel free to try in. Like or hate it u have 100 days to decide. For me I kept them. But if I didn't have the 12 in sub already it would have been my 1st upgrade
I was going to say more or less the same thing. I think by themselves no, but if you coupled them with the Bav speaker upgrade, yes. I just got an email from them. They are planning a Black Friday Deal.

The logic 7 amp is pretty good. There are amps out there that are better for much less money to be sure. If you can pick up a JBL MS 8 or :

1) JL Audio XD 800 / v2
2) Rockford Fosgate 360.3
3) Alpine PXE 0850S

My personal preference would be the 360.3.

That would be my next upgrade after you updated your speakers.

It's either that or you go the exact opposite route & upgrade the radio first.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 10:52 PM   #7
nikitino25
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Yeah I saw where bavsound is having a black friday deal......not sure what it is yet though.....I'm sure the ghost subs combined with their other speakers would be a nice upgrade but not sure I want to spend that kind of money, just wondering how much of a difference the subs by themselves would make. A stand alone sub would be nice i'm sure too but not sure I want to go that route
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 04:55 PM   #8
djrobx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4 m40i Flamenco Red

I have both ghost subs and a 13.5" JL low profile sub in the trunk. I had a 10" JL sub in my previous BMW. Both with HK audio.

HK: Soggy, unsatisfactory bass.

HK+Ghosts: Solid midbass, some songs sound good, but still missing deep lows.

HK+Ghosts+External Amp: Can dial in a bit more low end extension, an improvement, but not significant enough to avoid using a real sub.

HK+Trunk sub: Good but there's some "yuck" in the midbass you just can't EQ out.

HK+Ghosts+Trunk sub: Great!

Conclusion: The Ghosts are totally worth it, but they are not a substitute for a real subwoofer add-on. They fix the flabby, soggy midbass that you can't otherwise fix with the EQ or with a trunk sub. You really want both for great bass response.
Appreciate 0