E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Is Active Autowerke developing a SC for the N52?

08-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #89
plokij
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

i mean the software is VIN locked. there's no way you can get a pure 330i ECU for the mani swap. AA has done a good job with their tune, but it's not 330i software and no one should expect the mani swap to be an exact conversion. there have been a lot of mixed results through posts on this forum. that being said, there's probably no better cost benefit than doing the swap + tune.

i mean turbos are part of the lump, in concept. yes, looking at a picture of the 335i engine will include the units. that means they are part of the core engine components for that car. how would the N54/55 function without them? how would the N52 function without a bolt-on SC? this is the difference i'm referring to.

examine the system for a 997 turbo. it includes 3 radiators, 2 intercoolers, coated pistons for heat resistence, aerospace materials for heat resistance, etc. the cooling system is clever and expensive. not so much the case for the 335i, a car which not only isn't designed for the track, but can't even get a grandma to the market and back without limp mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #90
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

N52 with software that is tuned for the boost will not run well without that boost.

If you blow the turbos on an n54 it will run like shit
if you blow the SC on an n52 it will run like shit.

You make the n52 more reliant on boost when you tune it for a sc thats the purpose of tuning it.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #91
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by plokij View Post
i mean the software is VIN locked. there's no way you can get a pure 330i ECU for the mani swap. AA has done a good job with their tune, but it's not 330i software and no one should expect the mani swap to be an exact conversion. there have been a lot of mixed results through posts on this forum. that being said, there's probably no better cost benefit than doing the swap + tune.
I'm happy. +39hp and +40ft lbs of torque (dyno tested) and that was with the earlier stage 1 tune. The newer stage 2 tune is said to give a little more power up top. Eventually I'll upgrade to stage 2, but I have other things going on atm with a different car.

Quote:
i mean turbos are part of the lump, in concept. yes, looking at a picture of the 335i engine will include the units. that means they are part of the core engine components for that car. how would the N54/55 function without them? how would the N52 function without a bolt-on SC? this is the difference i'm referring to.
You mean they are part of the original engine configuration? I kind of know what you are saying, but it's flawed (imo). The turbos are separate pieces that attach to the engine, like this picture illustrates:

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/w...dedturbos1.jpg

but regardless, once you have your car tuned to run the supercharger, removing the supercharger will cause the car to run like crap, since the tune is expecting a supercharger. You'd also have to flash back to the stock tune. And it's not like you can just swap everything on and off at a whim.

Quote:
examine the system for a 997 turbo. it includes 3 radiators, 2 intercoolers, coated pistons for heat resistence, aerospace materials for heat resistance, etc. the cooling system is clever and expensive. not so much the case for the 335i, a car which not only isn't designed for the track, but can't even get a grandma to the market and back without limp mode.
The 335i also has an intercooler, oil coolers, and radiator. The technology is the same, but it's just the implementation that is sub-par. Other, cheaper cars, like the STI and EVO produce more boost from their turbo systems and are able to run fine in extreme conditions without the hi-tech, and high dollar materials that the porsche has. It can be done, it just needs to be done properly.

The 335i's cooling system can be upgraded to be adequate in extreme conditions, though I agree with you that it should have been better to begin with. But maybe that is fixed in the F30, but I don't know.

I think the main issue with having a SC kit on the N52 is going to be voiding the warranty. While the 335i has it's shortcomings, you can get one CPO'd that will have a warranty to 100k miles, so if something does happen to the engine, you're covered. While I do believe AA can/will make an excellent kit for the N52, you still run the risk of something happening to the engine, and also voiding your warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #92
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyPe-ZeRo
I think $6k is better spent on a nice down payment for a 335i
335i =$50k+ here, a 330 is 25-30k..

Also, should mention things like positive displacement blowers having a lower max boost before they become leas efficient, running a bit hotter.. And being called positive displacement because they basically have te effect like increasing the displacement of your motor

The centrifugal will still get SOME boost iidle/low, and due to efficiency even at same bost levels a bit more power. - i'd guess mmw and aa will be doing centrifugal to limit stress down low and keep street driving and fuel economy?

I like the idea of a centrifugal as it'd make an n52 'feel' more exciting, even if it may be a bit slower than a +ve lol
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #93
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post

Also, should mention things like positive displacement blowers having a lower max boost before they become leas efficient, running a bit hotter.. And being called positive displacement because they basically have te effect like increasing the displacement of your motor

The centrifugal will still get SOME boost iidle/low, and due to efficiency even at same bost levels a bit more power. - i'd guess mmw and aa will be doing centrifugal to limit stress down low and keep street driving and fuel economy?

I like the idea of a centrifugal as it'd make an n52 'feel' more exciting, even if it may be a bit slower than a +ve lol
Just saying lol 330 is like 15-20
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 12:56 AM   #94
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini77
Quote:

Just saying lol 330 is like 15-20
Australia here though, i got my 130i in nov for 31,000, it's now worth maybe $25,000.. Same deal for 330's. Cheapest 135/335 is 45k.. High mileage meh colour meh transmission no options. The stuff i want (same options at least that i have on mine now) makes it about $55k minimum.

30k of mods or a bone stocker.. Hmm..

Heck i could probably shoe horn in a s65 for less than $20k
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #95
t1mmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2008 Sport

Quote:
Australia here though, i got my 130i in nov for 31,000, it's now worth maybe $25,000.. Same deal for 330's. Cheapest 135/335 is 45k.. High mileage meh colour meh transmission no options. The stuff i want (same options at least that i have on mine now) makes it about $55k minimum.

30k of mods or a bone stocker.. Hmm..

Heck i could probably shoe horn in a s65 for less than $20k
This is why, financially, I don't believe this will come to fruition. Whilst those of you unfortunate enough to be in an area where the 335i is that much more expensive that an aftermarket, $6k SC would be competitive on price, thats not the case in the states.

So you've already eliminated a large section of the market that tuners need to recoup potential R&D costs.