E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Has anyone contacted BMW regarding 29.2 and lag?

06-21-2008, 04:53 AM   #133
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBMWE46M3 View Post
Just go back from the BMW dealer an hour ago and I let the Sales manager drive my car. He could not belive what he was driving!!! He then took me with him and we drove his 07 335i (NO ECU UPGRADES) and it was a completley different car. ABSOLUTLY NO TURBO LAG. And here is another thing...we parked the cars side by side and started both up...(they were both warm) and his had a completly different sound. His car had a great sound mine did not sound at all like his. I could here the difference between our cars. His sounded raspy and very good and mine I could hardly hear. Anyway, he got together with the SM and they are going to summon the regional service tec rep. I am thrilled that someone at the dealership noticed the difference and what a sizeable difference it was with about 5 people standing behind our cars when revving them a little. Ill keep ya posted!!
RBBMWE45M3 - what dealership are you using? I'm in Indiana also but my dealership doesnt seem to care much about the 29.2 issue. I'd love to find someone that is as helpful as the folks you described...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 08:51 AM   #134
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

WOW. I have been planning on buying a 335i or 135i manual soon. This 29.2 problem is BAD. WTF is BMW doing. If this word gets out to more people it WILL make people look elsewhere. I HOPE Magazines help get the word out. We all need to call ALL the magazines and let them know what "The Engine Of The Year" is like now. I might as well buy an EVO MR now.

THIS SHOULD BE A "STICKY" The most important news about the 135i, 335i, 535i engine of the year.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 09:03 AM   #135
nightops
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Thats great to hear. Hopefully he doesn't get the runaround from corporate and they end up making him upgrade to 29.2
      06-21-2008, 11:32 AM   #136
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautilian View Post
I got her back late Monday afternoon and trust me there was a huge difference. I no long had to put my foot flat, turn up the volume, select my music and then get the turbo kicking in. There was instantaneous power. So guys just wait, a few more hours till I have everything that was done to her.
I am very much interested to hear about your "downgrade". It would be nice to have something at hand to stop my dealership's arguing just in case...

I had my car updated to v30 last week and will turn it in Wednesday for a downgrade as there is LAG, LAG, LAG now. That is, v30 is NO fix for the v29.2 lag issue.

I specifically asked not to be upgraded to v29.2 as I had read what was going on with that software. My dealer assured me that it was gonna be v30, so I took the risk. Alas, my initial problem was not really fixed by the update and now I have a bigger one...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 02:26 PM   #137
BMWfan07
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport w/PPK

Someone mentioned that one way of knowing that you have 29.2 is that the main menu color on the i-drive/Nav is now silver and not brown. Well, I just had a complete reprogram of my car car 8 days ago, and the color of the main menu is still brown. They did not tell me what version number of software I have now.

They did the software update to try and rid my car of the rattle caused by the waste gate actuators, it did not work. They now want to replace both turbo waste gate actuators. My car was reprogrammed for hours at the dealer, an absolute waste of time.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 08:00 PM   #138
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

The following comments were also posted in a different thread related to Progman v30. I apologize for those that are seeing it twice, but I beleive it is appropriate for both threads.
At this point I feel even stronger that BMW is doing this in order to save them from even more people having the engione troubles that a lot of owners already have experienced with fuel pumps, wastegates and turbos. I do not know very much about engines, so I may be completely off about this and whether this ECU update with the lag would help save those engine components that have been giving all the trouble. If anyone that is more familair with the workings of the BMW engine could offer an opinion or their thoughts on whether the new Progmans, with this lag and seemingly lower performance, would actually lower the chances of the HPFP, or turbos and wastegate problems I would really like to hear anything you could tell me. I dont want to say that BMW is trying to save themselves the larger costs of engine repairs and part replacement by using the lower cost ECU update to ease up on the engine. Then taking their chances with the fallout from owners that notice the lag and pursue the matter. I forget what this is called in business speak, but I do know that this method of deciding which way to address an issue is common and not always what is best for the consumer. But before I make accusations or fire up an angry mob to go after them I need to hear from the technically wise people that know if this ecu update does have that result on the engine parts.
Please do not post statements, like my own, that are more wild theories or conjecture, I am trying to find out if there is a factual basis for my line of thought., If there is, then maybe it could be used as a possible point or basis for any action that may be necessary in the future should this not get resolved to the owners satisfaction. By that I mean, getting our cars back to the way they were advertised and sold to us, with turbo lag eliminated.
Then again, this whole train of thought could be the result of me having way too many bowls of Lucky Charms for dinner today.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 09:23 PM   #139
baxtr
Rep
Drives: E93 335i AW

I think someone should contact Car and Driver, Edmunds.com or Motortrend. Every review I read before I bought my car mentions no turbo lag. It was one of the main reasons I bought the 335i. My friend has a WRX and the lag drives me crazy. Now my 29.2 feels dead at anything bellow 3000 rpms. I bet if someone from a magazine or car enthusiast website confirms this problem BMW will have to fix it. It just isn't the same car I paid $50K+ for. At this point I'd be willing to pay my dealer to downgrade the program.

- dan
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 09:24 AM   #140
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

Has BMW changed their advertisement that specifically states no turbo lag?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 02:50 PM   #141
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

This is how it is described at BMWUSA.com:

Generating 300 hp and 300 lb.-ft. of torque at 1400-1500 rpms, this advanced inline six is our first turbocharged engine offered in the U.S. in decades. And it"s the result of a simple idea - to use two small turbochargers instead of one large one. By combining twin turbochargers with BMW"s direct fuel injection system and advanced piezo injector technology, we achieved the benefits of turbocharging without the drawbacks, namely poor fuel efficiency and turbo lag. In fact, we eliminated turbo lag altogether. The engine"s innovative design includes an all-aluminum engine block with cast iron sleeves for durability, and a direct fuel injection system that also cools the engine. A cooler engine allows for a higher compression ratio (10.2:1 vs. 6:1 and 7:1 in other turbos), which translates into superior emission control, greater fuel efficiency and, most importantly, a thrilling performance.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 03:52 PM   #142
BzzzBom
Major
Rep

LLPOF
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 04:52 PM   #143
StarrDlux
Pussycat's Meow
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i montego | Stock

what cars used 6:1 compression?

that wouldn't even turn over
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 08:18 PM   #144
BzzzBom
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
This is how it is described at BMWUSA.com:

Generating 300 hp and 300 lb.-ft. of torque at 1400-1500 rpms, this advanced inline six is our first turbocharged engine offered in the U.S. in decades. And it"s the result of a simple idea - to use two small turbochargers instead of one large one. By combining twin turbochargers with BMW"s direct fuel injection system and advanced piezo injector technology, we achieved the benefits of turbocharging without the drawbacks, namely poor fuel efficiency and turbo lag. In fact, we eliminated turbo lag altogether. The engine"s innovative design includes an all-aluminum engine block with cast iron sleeves for durability, and a direct fuel injection system that also cools the engine. A cooler engine allows for a higher compression ratio (10.2:1 vs. 6:1 and 7:1 in other turbos), which translates into superior emission control, greater fuel efficiency and, most importantly, a thrilling performance.
I'll will bet they will change these claims ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 09:00 PM   #145
Joeyballs
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW/CR 335i Coupe

Well those were the claims when I ordered my car. Therefor this must be rectified. Ugh. I pick up my car on Wednesday and the thrill is almost gone because I worry this car won't feel anything like the 335i i test drove 4 months ago.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 09:00 AM   #146
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxtr View Post
I think someone should contact Car and Driver, Edmunds.com or Motortrend. Every review I read before I bought my car mentions no turbo lag. It was one of the main reasons I bought the 335i. My friend has a WRX and the lag drives me crazy. Now my 29.2 feels dead at anything bellow 3000 rpms. I bet if someone from a magazine or car enthusiast website confirms this problem BMW will have to fix it. It just isn't the same car I paid $50K+ for. At this point I'd be willing to pay my dealer to downgrade the program.

- dan
+100 - except for the PAYING to downgrade.
I've been meaning to write the car mags. Will try to do it soon.
What dealer are you going to? Any chance it's Otto's since you're in Wilmington? That's who I'm contacting about my lag issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 09:16 AM   #147
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Nautilian - any updates?

Hoping to hear the news that you found out a few days ago. I'm taking my car in in two hours and was hoping to tell them what the deal is!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 09:45 AM   #148
baxtr
Rep
Drives: E93 335i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post
+100 - except for the PAYING to downgrade.
I've been meaning to write the car mags. Will try to do it soon.
What dealer are you going to? Any chance it's Otto's since you're in Wilmington? That's who I'm contacting about my lag issue.
Yeah, I went to Otto's. The day after I got my program upgraded I told them the car didn't feel the same. On top of that it actually made my ipod work worse. Random randomly works, and most of the time when I restart my car it resets my ipod to the first song on the ipod. I plan on complaining again specifically about the lag.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #149
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxtr View Post
Yeah, I went to Otto's. The day after I got my program upgraded I told them the car didn't feel the same. On top of that it actually made my ipod work worse. Random randomly works, and most of the time when I restart my car it resets my ipod to the first song on the ipod. I plan on complaining again specifically about the lag.
Yep + 1 for the ipod.
Anyway, my car is at Otto's right now (Exton, but the SA's go back and forth between WC and Exton so it's a moot point).
PLEASE go take your car in soon. My SA told me "No, we haven't heard from any other people about this." So let's help make that NOT the case anymore.
Make sure you ask to talk to the service manager, Chris, too, as well as your SA.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 12:38 PM   #150
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Took car in to dealer - SA's response:

I first asked if he's heard of other cases from angry customers and he said no. Then the Service MANAGER came out to talk to me too (they both knew I was coming in and was fired up about the lag). I said to them both that it is really sad and frustrating to drive the car the way it is now. He said that "BMW knows its a problem, but there's not much we can do now other than send them FASTA data. They requested we get the data from your car and send it over, so that's what we'll do today."
I think they also need FASTA data for the CEL the car threw the other day.

Oh well. I'll post and let everyone know how it turns out.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 12:43 PM   #151
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep
Drives: White Lightning

Quote:
I first asked if he's heard of other cases from angry customers and he said no. Then the Service MANAGER came out to talk to me too (they both knew I was coming in and was fired up about the lag). I said to them both that it is really sad and frustrating to drive the car the way it is now. He said that "BMW knows its a problem, but there's not much we can do now other than send them FASTA data. They requested we get the data from your car and send it over, so that's what we'll do today."
I think they also need FASTA data for the CEL the car threw the other day.

Oh well. I'll post and let everyone know how it turns out.
Why the hell does BMW need FASTA data, it was their damn progman update that caused this, can't they figure it out from their own codes? I'm starting to get frustrated by what BMW is doing.
      06-23-2008, 12:53 PM   #152
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slubu View Post
Why the hell does BMW need FASTA data, it was their damn progman update that caused this, can't they figure it out from their own codes? I'm starting to get frustrated by what BMW is doing.
Well, it crossed my mind that they want to pull data for FASTA because I am whining about the car acting up, and it threw a CEL the other day....so maybe they are thinking I have a tune of some sorts and they are going to be super-smart and bust me. I am probably just being pessimistic about that angle, and I'm sure they are just trying to help...but I agree that the FASTA route seems odd since, as you said, THEY HAVE THE FRIGGIN PROGMAN already! lol.
Anyway, hopefully they aren't wasting their time barking up the "modded" tree since the car has never had a tune and is bone friggin stock.

On a side note, I have a 750 loaner and the instant thrust was a painful reminder of how my car once was.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 07:51 AM   #153
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Response from SA

Well, FWIW, my SA called and said that they sent the FASTA data and they do not have an immediate solution.
He DID add the "BMW is aware of the issue and is coming out with a SOLUTION VERY SHORTLY. We will contact you in the next two or three days to let you know when you can bring it in for the fix."

Now, as I said, take it for what it's worth. Who the heck knows. Personally, I'm in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp.

Also, this is terrible timing since I was pretty set on getting the Dinan flash on Saturday. Now after I raise all hell and cause me dealership headaches, they go work on a sollution and call me back (potentially) with a fix, only for me to say "oh, I don't want the fix, I just got the Dinan flash". ARGH!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 07:54 AM   #154
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boring

Quote:
Well, FWIW, my SA called and said that they sent the FASTA data and they do not have an immediate solution.
He DID add the "BMW is aware of the issue and is coming out with a SOLUTION VERY SHORTLY. We will contact you in the next two or three days to let you know when you can bring it in for the fix."

Now, as I said, take it for what it's worth. Who the heck knows. Personally, I'm in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp.

Also, this is terrible timing since I was pretty set on getting the Dinan flash on Saturday. Now after I raise all hell and cause me dealership headaches, they go work on a sollution and call me back (potentially) with a fix, only for me to say "oh, I don't want the fix, I just got the Dinan flash". ARGH!
I guess that is good news. Let us know if you hear anything else. I may call my SA today and see if they know anything else.

Can you tell me what dealership you are using and where? That will help me when I talk to my SA.
Appreciate 0