E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Replacing rear brake hardlines- too big of a job?

05-30-2021, 08:21 PM   #1
sav_e92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘07 328xi Coupe

Replacing rear brake hardlines- too big of a job?

I had my car in for an inspection of the rear subframe to address some concerns I had with rust. Mechanic says the subframe's surface rust isn't of concern, but that the hard brake lines above the subframe are rusted and swollen to the point where the car will not pass inspection. He estimates the job, if all goes well, to cost around $1k but expects that dropping the rear subframe will reveal many more expensive fixes and won't be worth it in the end.

Is my car done? Is the mechanic correct? I don't want to get into $3k of repairs on a car worth $8k.... I do think the car is worth it and otherwise in beautiful shape w/ 95k miles ('07 328xi), but maybe its time to trade it in and move on...
      05-31-2021, 08:01 AM   #2
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

Since there's not much of a DIY vibe here, go get a second opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 08:28 AM   #3
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

What kind of inspections are you having up there where they examine the hydraulic lines?
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 08:41 AM   #4
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAVAGE_VT_E92 View Post
I had my car in for an inspection of the rear subframe to address some concerns I had with rust. Mechanic says the subframe's surface rust isn't of concern, but that the hard brake lines above the subframe are rusted and swollen to the point where the car will not pass inspection. He estimates the job, if all goes well, to cost around $1k but expects that dropping the rear subframe will reveal many more expensive fixes and won't be worth it in the end.

Is my car done? Is the mechanic correct? I don't want to get into $3k of repairs on a car worth $8k.... I do think the car is worth it and otherwise in beautiful shape w/ 95k miles ('07 328xi), but maybe its time to trade it in and move on...
Hard lines are swollen? They have a coating on them that bubbles/peels off with time and age, he must be confusing that with the actual hard line structural integrity. They are stainless steel i believe. They do seize at the threads, so be cautious if you are replacing them.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 04:37 PM   #5
sav_e92
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Hard lines are swollen? They have a coating on them that bubbles/peels off with time and age, he must be confusing that with the actual hard line structural integrity. They are stainless steel i believe. They do seize at the threads, so be cautious if you are replacing them.
Hmmm interesting... this was a euro-specific shop so I would have thought they could tell the difference between the coating bubbling up vs. the lines themselves rusting out and swelling.... but this is enough to convince me that I should get a second opinion.
      05-31-2021, 10:45 PM   #6
sav_e92
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdSM n54iS View Post
What kind of inspections are you having up there where they examine the hydraulic lines?
That's a good question. Specifically in this case the rubber lines coming out of the steel hard lines also need to be replaced... those are what would fail me for inspection. I think I need to ask my mechanic a few more questions though... I'm wondering if the hard lines themselves are problematic or if the fittings are maybe just rusted to the point where they won't budge and he anticipates challenges replacing the rubber hoses as a result. Either way... its back to the mechanic for me.
      06-01-2021, 10:43 AM   #7
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Hmmm interesting... this was a euro-specific shop so I would have thought they could tell the difference between the coating bubbling up vs. the lines themselves rusting out and swelling.... but this is enough to convince me that I should get a second opinion.
Quote:
That's a good question. Specifically in this case the rubber lines coming out of the steel hard lines also need to be replaced... those are what would fail me for inspection. I think I need to ask my mechanic a few more questions though... I'm wondering if the hard lines themselves are problematic or if the fittings are maybe just rusted to the point where they won't budge and he anticipates challenges replacing the rubber hoses as a result. Either way... its back to the mechanic for me.
Just two weeks ago i had to replace my rubber lines in the back and one on the front.

The mechanic warned me that likelihood of the hard lines twisting and cracking due to seizing is high, and could lead to a complete hard line replacement.
Apparently E92 are notorious for this issue (amongst others )

Because of this i did not attempt to do this myself.
I did a bit of prep work before i took her in for surgery.
- I cleaned all the debris with a small wire brush around the fittings. Bunch of salt was baked on there.
- For about a week I have been spraying penetrating oil on the fittings where the rubber line meets the hard line and rubber line at the caliper.

Even with all of that the mechanic had to get the torch out and heat up the fittings.
- Wiggling the nut back and forth finally released the rubber hose from the hard line.
- Rubber lines came out super easy from the caliper.
- After I inspected the repairs, that's when I noticed that the coating on the line was burned off and peeling in that section. I will have to cover it up with some rubberized spray coating. Main thing, no twisting of the hard line or leaks present.

Is it possible for you to post a few pictures of the issue?

Last edited by Wolf 335; 06-01-2021 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 08:30 PM   #8
sav_e92
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
To follow up on this - I got a second opinion and this shop said that this is exactly what has happened... the rubber coating has bubbled in a few places but the lines are fine. They also inspected the hoses and fittings and said all look completely fine and are not cause for concern. Thanks for your input here - very glad I sought a second opinion.
lab_rat394.50
      06-10-2021, 12:45 PM   #9
C3rb3rus
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

Quote:
To follow up on this - I got a second opinion and this shop said that this is exactly what has happened... the rubber coating has bubbled in a few places but the lines are fine. They also inspected the hoses and fittings and said all look completely fine and are not cause for concern. Thanks for your input here - very glad I sought a second opinion.
Glad you got a second opinion! Sounds like the second shop knew what was what!
Appreciate 0