E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > E90 Chunking/Clicking sound when turning steering

06-18-2021, 10:05 AM   #1
megaspeed
Rep
Drives: e90

E90 Chunking/Clicking sound when turning steering

I have a random Chunking/Clicking sound when turning steering, happens soemtimes, doesn't happens for an entire day the odd time, but usually it does it, it started after I had front wishbone replaced, later figured the rubber cover was ribbing of the boot on the tierod, cut around that and stopped the sound from that, but still occasionally does it, usually after car was sitting for a bit, anything more than 15mins very much.

All arms are done of the front, new break discs all round, new calipers all round, new eibach pro springs all round, heavy duty longer end links on front as its lowered just over 35mm

only thing there to try are top mounts, shocks, and hopefully isn't the rack itself, steering feel fine, car is nice and tight, not a sqeek from anything, just that annoying random chunk/click, handling is great, Im out of ideas.

any input guys?

Last edited by megaspeed; 06-18-2021 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 05:05 PM   #2
megaspeed
Rep
Drives: e90

going to grease the knuckle on the steering column and hope for the best, its not a very loud clunk, when I looked in to the engine bay, I saw the steering column was like.. black, which it shouldn't be, if thats the cause, it would be a blown gasket blowing on to the column and dried out the knockle
Appreciate 0