E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > e-Diff coding

01-07-2017, 10:22 PM   #1
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

e-Diff coding

To separate from the cluster coding thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
My dream is to be able to code out FLR, HPS and AXRefDiffLock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik325tds View Post
What is FLR and HPS? I can help you with the Rear diff lock but would advise against it until you have a limited slip differential.
For a very good guide on how to start coding is to look up NCSdummy and read his guide.
The coding that is described here is not available under NCSexpert though, that's why we have to do this manually through Ediabas(Tool32) jobs.
Quote:
FLR is an engine power reduction to prevent brake disc overheating. It cuts the throttle based on speed, brake application and e-diff torque vectoring. Should be a parameter something like e84 or e89_FLR or FLR_C0F.

HPS is a brake fading compensation by adding more hydraulic assist based on "calculated" brake fluid temperature. Parameter should be something like e89_HPS.

For the e-diff. If it is coded out, does it still work when DTC is engaged, or completely off in all modes. My impression was that it was off only when DTC is completely disengaged.
Quote:
I think this is worth a new topic. I started taking some CAN logs to analyze the E-diff behavior and torque reduction requests by DSC and EGS. I still need to put together some screenshots and post them.
HPS is not listed in our DSC FSW_PSW.TRC. FLR is listed as COF_FLR (with the value wert_01.
Interesting point about E_diff only being off when DTC is completely disengaged and COF_DIFF_LOCK set to wert_00. I guess I'll have to do a couple more logs for that.
Appreciate 2
MCooter15.00
k335d80.00
      01-08-2017, 04:34 AM   #2
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

There's an interesting blog covering these functions here: http://www.onelapx1.com/blog/how-to-...w-actually-fun
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 01:30 PM   #3
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Thanks for linking that one. We have posted it before and it definitely should be here as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 04:12 PM   #4
tryingtobebest
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
FLR is an engine power reduction to prevent brake disc overheating. It cuts the throttle based on speed, brake application and e-diff torque vectoring. Should be a parameter something like e84 or e89_FLR or FLR_C0F.

HPS is a brake fading compensation by adding more hydraulic assist based on "calculated" brake fluid temperature. Parameter should be something like e89_HPS.

For the e-diff. If it is coded out, does it still work when DTC is engaged, or completely off in all modes. My impression was that it was off only when DTC is completely disengaged.

Is it just me or what modules are they all located in?
Its not mention anywhere or i am just blind!

Also, for e-diff, can somebody confirm the operation when it is disabled (set to "nicht_aktiv" through coding)? I really like it to be completely off after "long" press of the button (setting 3)!?

EDIT:
Len_Beach provided this blog link in his post - How To Actually Make your BMW Fun and there is a link to E90 thread that is damaged in the beginning, i found that thread manually, here it is:
How to code out E-Diff to turn DTC completely off?

Last edited by tryingtobebest; 01-10-2017 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 2
Yozh870.00
k335d80.00
      01-08-2017, 09:54 PM   #5
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtobebest View Post
Is it just me or what modules are they all located in?
Its not mention anywhere or i am just blind!

Also, for e-diff, can somebody confirm the operation when it is disabled? I really like it to be off after "long" press of the button (setting 3)!?

EDIT:
It throws a link to E90 thread that is damaged in the beginning, i found that thread manually, here it is:
How to code out E-Diff to turn DTC completely off?
e-diff is not disabled after DTC long press. That is why it would be nice to code it off.

Thank you for that thread link.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 03:33 PM   #6
tryingtobebest
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

!

Quote:
e-diff is not disabled after DTC long press. That is why it would be nice to code it off.

Thank you for that thread link.
I guess its in DSC module which i never ever dealt with!

The guy in that blog saying set it to nicht active for disabling, im wondering if somebody can describe what it does, and behavior in all 3 setting of traction control!?

Last edited by tryingtobebest; 04-11-2017 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 05:21 PM   #7
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Make sure you guys read this...

Quote:
More than likely. If you disable the "E-Diff" programming on a stock differential, you now have a totally open differential without any electronic pseudo-torque vectoring across the rear axles. You will constantly have one wheel rotating faster than the other while cornering/sliding instead of the DSC braking the individual wheel. This would be shit.
DWR797.50
      01-10-2017, 07:30 PM   #8
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Hoping when my Wavetrac goes in most of this will be behind me.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 10:22 PM   #9
CvilleBill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

BB,
I've found the LSD helps a lot. Traction is still a problem though. I don't really get what the electronic gremlins are doing. I push the DSC button almost every time I get in my car, but sometimes it still feels flat. Other times it's hell on wheels. It will get sideways at any speed below about 70 (sometimes), some days it would seem that it's simply not fueling the same way. I would really like to figure this out so the car will perform consistently.
Appreciate 1
vazyx3.00
      01-11-2017, 05:50 PM   #10
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

Quote:
They guy in that blog saying set it to nicht active for disabling, im wondering if somebody can describe what it does, and behavior in all 3 setting of traction control!?
I was going to do this and have some data to show but I'm very busy with other things now. This is going to have to wait a couple of month.
But as lnxguy quoted: Deactivating e-diff without a LSD is complete shyte. I drove a couple of laps with it on the track like that (and DSC fully off) trying to control wheelspin with throttle. No fun at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 06:37 PM   #11
nicklockard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 w/Nav; paddleshifters

I don't want to entirely eliminate the functions, just tone some way down. The power cut-out is ridiculously trigger happy. The car is such a shitty nanny, and turning DSC off really isn't any better, IMO. Still shitty.

Ironically, the DSC in my old 318ti was a billion times smoother and better. DSC done right can enhance the driving experience instead of detract from it. So I hope you guys can come up with a coding way to wipe away the shittiness from DSC.

Mods: *ATM 304SS Turbo-back exhaust, w/ ox-cat *ATM stepped intercooler *ATM silicone tubing kits (hot & cold sides) JR 2.8 tune *Whitbread CP3R90 HPFP *AArod EGR racepipe*Execuhitch hidden hitch *Stage 3 transmission tune
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 11:12 AM   #12
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklockard View Post
I don't want to entirely eliminate the functions, just tone some way down. The power cut-out is ridiculously trigger happy. The car is such a shitty nanny, and turning DSC off really isn't any better, IMO. Still shitty.

Ironically, the DSC in my old 318ti was a billion times smoother and better. DSC done right can enhance the driving experience instead of detract from it. So I hope you guys can come up with a coding way to wipe away the shittiness from DSC.
I thought I remembered seeing info on turning down the intrusion amount for the DCS when coding but a quick search didnt turn anything up. If I remember correctly though there is a dcs section that you can set DCS to the M3 sensitivity which I guess allows slightly more shenanigans before intervening and maybe ramps back in more quickly.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 11:22 AM   #13
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

I think you're referring to MDM, which our cars do not have.
      01-13-2017, 03:39 PM   #14
DWR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklockard View Post
I had the same experience. My E34 was much smoother and predictable. By comparison, the 335d actually upsets the dynamics of the vehicle with abrupt changes.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2017, 09:48 PM   #15
nicklockard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 w/Nav; paddleshifters

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR View Post
I had the same experience. My E34 was much smoother and predictable. By comparison, the 335d actually upsets the dynamics of the vehicle with abrupt changes.

I was actually surprised my first full day of driving the D. Between the shitty DSC and the harsh transmission flaring between 1-2 in sport mode, the driving dynamics are quite less than I expected.

Did they intentionally make the car a shitty driving experience so it wouldn't eclipse the M3? Because I think if it had refined DSC and shifting, it would be one hell of a nice driver's car.

Mods: *ATM 304SS Turbo-back exhaust, w/ ox-cat *ATM stepped intercooler *ATM silicone tubing kits (hot & cold sides) JR 2.8 tune *Whitbread CP3R90 HPFP *AArod EGR racepipe*Execuhitch hidden hitch *Stage 3 transmission tune
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 10:13 AM   #16
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Hoping when my Wavetrac goes in most of this will be behind me.
E diff is still alive and well even with Wavetrac operational. It does take more aggressiveness to get it to brake.

My question is if i have ediff coded out, is that it? In other words, i wouldn't mind if all could be normal and nannies in play UNLESS i hold down the button. That is when i would want e diff off. This would be the preference anyway. I want to protect others that occasionally drive my car.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 11:04 AM   #17
tryingtobebest
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
E diff is still alive and well even with Wavetrac operational. It does take more aggressiveness to get it to brake.

My question is if i have ediff coded out, is that it? In other words, i wouldn't mind if all could be normal and nannies in play UNLESS i hold down the button. That is when i would want e diff off. This would be the preference anyway. I want to protect others that occasionally drive my car.
That is exactly what im after in the post earlier!
Can we start calling it settings?:

Setting 1 - NOT touching button (car just started, full assist)
Setting 2 - Press DSC button once
Setting 3 - Long press DSC (* That is where im asuming everyone wants it to be off completely)
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 01:52 PM   #18
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That is exactly what im after in the post earlier!
Can we start calling it settings?:

Setting 1 - NOT touching button (car just started, full assist)
Setting 2 - Press DSC button once
Setting 3 - Long press DSC (* That is where im asuming everyone wants it to be off completely)
Over on the DIY forum, guys have spoke about paying for coding to turn e diff off and it has worked. Someone said they paid $100. Yes, i will adopt your settings naming.

If i have ediff coded off, I'm asking if setting 1 would behave same as now (nannies at work). I would be fine with ediff off for setting 3 ONLY.

My thought is that if ediff is coded OFF, that's it buddy. Not on for any of the settings 1=>3. But, i am obviously guessing. I'm with yozh, if its raining or has been raining, noo way would i want to drive in setting 3.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 12:44 PM   #19
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Bumping this thread because I have the ability to code and my new wavetrac is installed.

Also, I am getting an error when I press the DSC button, I will try to record it today and put a link in this thread, but I have no idea whats going on there...I assume the car is freaking out because it doesnt know what I want to do now...

Has anyone had time to look into this more and have some answers on what to do?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 01:52 PM   #20
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Not done anything further. I don't get an error whether I do setting 2 or 3. I drove for about 30 minutes in setting 3 yesterday with dry roads. I still get intervention on a turn out and nail it scenario.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 05:12 PM   #21
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaDZL View Post
Bumping this thread because I have the ability to code and my new wavetrac is installed.

Also, I am getting an error when I press the DSC button, I will try to record it today and put a link in this thread, but I have no idea whats going on there...I assume the car is freaking out because it doesnt know what I want to do now...

Has anyone had time to look into this more and have some answers on what to do?
The parameter you are looking for is C0F_DIFF_LOCK. Set it to wert_00.
What error are you getting?

Last edited by Mik325tds; 05-16-2017 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 09:31 PM   #22
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Quote:
The parameter you are looking for is C0F_DIFF_LOCK. Set it to wert_00.
What error are you getting?
I dont know what error it is...I havent got it since that day...

What module is that in? I assume all of those from the link are in the same module...

EDIT: nevermind
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33202

DSC_89.C03

Last edited by OmahaDZL; 05-16-2017 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0