E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Stripped threads on Oil Filter Housing

05-11-2018, 02:22 PM   #1
painoz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2013 M5

Stripped threads on Oil Filter Housing

Had OFHG done about 40k miles ago along with walnut blast. Recently noticed some oil on the top of the Oil Filter housing and along valve cover along with episodic burning oil smell in cabin. Decided to DIY Valve cover, VCG, OFHG, walnut blast, vacuum hose replacement and upgraded charge pipe.

Things going well until:
1. I take off the coolant hose from the thermostat to the engine block and the plastic lip is broken off and needs to be replace.
2. I go to re-install the oil cooler thermostat housing back on to the oil filter housing after installing a new gasket and one of the bolts doesn't tighten down to even close to torque specs and spins. FYI it is the upper right bolt when standing at the front of the car. I looked at the back side of the bolt hole on the oil filter housing and the casting around the hole is broken. So add another $320. This was likely a result of the person doing the previous OFHG I suspect.

So this project has morphed from a DIY Valve cover, VCG, OFHG, walnut blast and charge pipe upgrade to:

Valve cover, VCG, OFHG, Walnut blast, Charge pipe upgrade, vacuum hose replacement, Upper and lower coolant hose replacement, coolant flush, serpentine belt replacement, Oil filter housing replacement and RB PCV Valve upgrade.

Since I have already done plugs, coils, index 12 injectors, water pump, Vanos solenoids, Alternator and get my parts from FCP Euro.......at least I have lifetime replacement!

Guess I have to drive the M5 more while I wait for the parts to arrive!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 08:06 AM   #2
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by painoz View Post
Had OFHG done about 40k miles ago along with walnut blast. Recently noticed some oil on the top of the Oil Filter housing and along valve cover along with episodic burning oil smell in cabin. Decided to DIY Valve cover, VCG, OFHG, walnut blast, vacuum hose replacement and upgraded charge pipe.

Things going well until:
1. I take off the coolant hose from the thermostat to the engine block and the plastic lip is broken off and needs to be replace.
2. I go to re-install the oil cooler thermostat housing back on to the oil filter housing after installing a new gasket and one of the bolts doesn't tighten down to even close to torque specs and spins. FYI it is the upper right bolt when standing at the front of the car. I looked at the back side of the bolt hole on the oil filter housing and the casting around the hole is broken. So add another $320. This was likely a result of the person doing the previous OFHG I suspect.

So this project has morphed from a DIY Valve cover, VCG, OFHG, walnut blast and charge pipe upgrade to:

Valve cover, VCG, OFHG, Walnut blast, Charge pipe upgrade, vacuum hose replacement, Upper and lower coolant hose replacement, coolant flush, serpentine belt replacement, Oil filter housing replacement and RB PCV Valve upgrade.

Since I have already done plugs, coils, index 12 injectors, water pump, Vanos solenoids, Alternator and get my parts from FCP Euro.......at least I have lifetime replacement!

Guess I have to drive the M5 more while I wait for the parts to arrive!
That sucks lol we've all been there, may want to add new pulleys to the list
      05-12-2018, 01:24 PM   #3
KennyS
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Man, I know that feeling. It happened to my oil filter housing same bolt too... I ended up installing a Helicoil insert there to fix the threads. It's been holding up great since.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      05-12-2018, 03:12 PM   #4
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

KennyS solution is better. Why pay for new housing when helicoil is easy and affordable
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 08:37 PM   #5
painoz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2013 M5

Helicoil not an option

I wish the helicoil was an option. A piece of the back side of the bolt hole broke off. I think that alot of the problems we have with these cars is related to leaking from the OFHG (serpentine belt issues, alternator issues, hose deterioration from oil etc), so I want to get it right. Any suggestions for tips and tricks to ensure the OFHG doesn't leak again? Anyone use Permetex?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 08:50 PM   #6
bizz315
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 535I XDRIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyS View Post
Man, I know that feeling. It happened to my oil filter housing same bolt too... I ended up installing a Helicoil insert there to fix the threads. It's been holding up great since.
How do you know what size to use to rethread the bolt hole?I never use the tool.i too have a stripped ofh.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 09:05 AM   #7
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

M8-1.0
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 08:47 AM   #8
N54_ABQ
Twins Are Better
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizz315 View Post
How do you know what size to use to rethread the bolt hole?I never use the tool.i too have a stripped ofh.
There are kits made for most common thread sizes.
Once you know what your thread size is (M8x1.0) you get that kit.
It comes with an oversized drill and tap, an install tool and coils.
Once the oversized threads are cut, the coil is installed leaving you with the original thread again.
The coils are usually stainless steel, so much stronger and more resistant to stripping.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 02:41 AM   #9
AngelFarelli
Second Lieutenant
Abu Dhabi
Rep
Drives: BMW n52 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54_ABQ View Post
Quote:
Once the oversized threads are cut, the coil is installed leaving you with the original thread again.
The coils are usually stainless steel, so much stronger and more resistant to stripping.
Quote:
Quote:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/E-Z-LOK-...8;gclsrc=aw.ds
Will this work?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 09:20 AM   #10
N54_ABQ
Twins Are Better
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelFarelli View Post
Yup that's it. Just make sure the coil length will work for your application.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 11:10 AM   #11
AngelFarelli
Second Lieutenant
Abu Dhabi
Rep
Drives: BMW n52 e90

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you I'll update with pics
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 12:32 AM   #12
320IN54
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i, 2021 BMW M2C

Ive been there the first time I swappped my OFHG I stripped the bottom torx bolt cause it slipped despite using the correct E-torx bit. Then the second time I snapped long bolt completely at the threads cause the oil filter housing wasnt seated correctly or something. I managed to fix both despite the heart attacks I got from them happening. Stuff like this happens.
Appreciate 0