E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Has this happened to anyone?

01-06-2012, 11:33 PM   #89
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe- View Post
New York has Chipmunks, they just are located upstate. I lived in Westchester County for a number of years and have seen many of them.
I meant New York City. Up state New York does does have a lot of chipmunks though.
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #90
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

A little upset. I got my car back this morning..

I didnt notice it at first because I had my windows up and listening to my music. Soon as I pulled into my office downtown, I turned my music off and I could clearly hear the chirping nosies still on the left side only

I called PEAKE BMW. The tech who worked on my car is going to be calling me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #91
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced46 View Post
Yes definitely update us when you get the car back. I am curious to see what the actual report says. Or PM me the last 7 of your VIN I can look it up, but its probably not in the system yet.
Quoting this so you'll see to check it.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #92
///Mandy
N54 <3
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
A little upset. I got my car back this morning..

I didnt notice it at first because I had my windows up and listening to my music. Soon as I pulled into my office downtown, I turned my music off and I could clearly hear the chirping nosies still on the left side only

I called PEAKE BMW. The tech who worked on my car is going to be calling me.
Wow that suxxxx. Now I really want to know what this is. Do you think it could be a possibility of when they did a rim re-finish? My other guess is something suspension related....

And why the eff would they release the car back to you if the sound is still there. They should have tested it, main roads and the highway.

E90 335xi|Nav pkg|Sport pkg|Dakota leather|Brushed aluminum trim|MTech kit
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #93
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mandy View Post
Wow that suxxxx. Now I really want to know what this is. Do you think it could be a possibility of when they did a rim re-finish? My other guess is something suspension related....

And why the eff would they release the car back to you if the sound is still there. They should have tested it, main roads and the highway.
I think they did test it because my car had 4 miles more than when I dropped it off.

When I curbed my rims and they repaired them it was on the passenger side both times, the same rim (I know I know, I hit the SAME curb TWICE stupid me) and this noise is on the driver side....

ARGH lol What the hell is it??!!!!! Still waiting on the tech to call me back.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #94
///Mandy
N54 <3
Rep

Quote:
I think they did test it because my car had 4 miles more than when I dropped it off.

When I curbed my rims and they repaired them it was on the passenger side both times, the same rim (I know I know, I hit the SAME curb TWICE stupid me) and this noise is on the driver side....

ARGH lol What the hell is it??!!!!! Still waiting on the tech to call me back.
Hey it happens, I side swiped my passenger side mirror the first time I had to park my car into the garage. lol

That is so weird....strange sound to be making for brakes (if that's the problem)....

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #95
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Hey it happens, I side swiped my passenger side mirror the first time I had to park my car into the garage. lol

That is so weird....strange sound to be making for brakes (if that's the problem)....
In my very first car when I 16, I fell off my Mom's driveway into the ditch backing out lol....

and Im thinking its not brakes either.. I didnt think it was to begin with.. Its gotta be something rubbing or somethings caught on something..hmm
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #96
///Mandy
N54 <3
Rep

Quote:
In my very first car when I 16, I fell off my Mom's driveway into the ditch backing out lol....

and Im thinking its not brakes either.. I didnt think it was to begin with.. Its gotta be something rubbing or somethings caught on something..hmm
That's what happened to a girl I knew in highschool, her parents let her borrow their brand new Cadillac. It ended up in a ditch, they bought another one lol.

Maybe a loose lining? Doubt that it would be it, but may be worth a try?

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #97
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

did you try sitting in the car while someone bounces it side to side on the door jamb? open the hood and bounce the front up and down too. report back.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #98
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3000fl View Post
did you try sitting in the car while someone bounces it side to side on the door jamb? open the hood and bounce the front up and down too. report back.
I havent yet, just curious what would it mean if the hood was popped open vs. being shut?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #99
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

if you are going to bounce it forward and back versus side to side, it is easier to bounce the car with the hood open, instead of pushing directly on the hood, push part of the frame in front of the engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #100
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3000fl View Post
if you are going to bounce it forward and back versus side to side, it is easier to bounce the car with the hood open, instead of pushing directly on the hood, push part of the frame in front of the engine.
Ok gotcha.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #101
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Ok here's a video.. You can clearly still hear the SAME noise when I turn the car . Im starting to think its steering related...

I live in New Orleans, so its time to devote my attention to Champion Square. Geaux Tigers

Feedback is appreciated. Thanks guys (and Mandy)

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #102
Juiced46
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 Turbo Cobra, 2011 335xi

Well this sucks. In the last video, were you braking or just turning? Do you feel anything in the steering wheel when this happens? Try turning all the way right and then all the way left (while driving to duplicate the noise) and see if the noise is there. Could also be the front driveshaft. If your car isnt all wheel drive, then forget all of this lol

I had an annoying squeak @ slow speeds on my car but not when braking. It was the rubber on the front CV boots causing the squeek. A little lube on it and its gone. But like I said, if you do not have AWD, then this wont apply either. Its very hard to diagnose this noise through a video. I doubt its a suspension component, it sounds rotational.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #103
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Well this sucks. In the last video, were you braking or just turning? Do you feel anything in the steering wheel when this happens? Try turning all the way right and then all the way left (while driving to duplicate the noise) and see if the noise is there. Could also be the front driveshaft. If your car isnt all wheel drive, then forget all of this lol

I had an annoying squeak @ slow speeds on my car but not when braking. It was the rubber on the front CV boots causing the squeek. A little lube on it and its gone. But like I said, if you do not have AWD, then this wont apply either. Its very hard to diagnose this noise through a video. I doubt its a suspension component, it sounds rotational.
My car is rwd in the last video I was braking and turning. The car feels just perfect. I don't feel anything wrong when braking or turning. That's what I don't get about this situation

It's going back to the dealership. Strange that this never happens when I'm turning right.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #104
///Mandy
N54 <3
Rep

Quote:
I doubt its a suspension component, it sounds rotational.
Yeah, now that she's mentioned it's whenever she turns the wheel I doubt it's brake related.

Okay, just to recap,
you hear a chirping sound when coming to a slow stop
you hear a chirping sound when you turn your wheel
This has been occuring only when driving

Could it be steering column related?

Sara have you noticed this chirping sound when you drive over a speedbump or something similar to?

Last edited by ///Mandy; 01-09-2012 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #105
Juiced46
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, now that she's mentioned it's whenever she turns the wheel I doubt it's brake related.

Okay, just to recap,
you hear a chirping sound when coming to a slow stop
you hear a chirping sound when you turn your wheel
This has been occuring only when driving
It could be power steering related for sure. Could be an under/over full power steering system or something in the pressure line backfeeding back into the system when its not supposed to. The system builds pressure when turning one way, and releases when turning the other. So if it makes the noise when turning one way, but not the other, it could be power steering related.

Sara- Does it make it when you turn left or right, both ways, one way? I'm assuming its there when you are driving straight as well?

It could be so many different things. Could be a weak belt tensioner causing the belt to "slip" squeel or make the power steering pump make noise on turns. Ive also seen the steeering shaft u joint bind up when turning. But this usually causes a binding feeling when turning.

It still could be something with the brakes, something rubbing when braking that may have been overlooked by the tech.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #106
///Mandy
N54 <3
Rep

I did some investigation. Juiced, you mentioned about you having to replace your driveshaft because on the Xi's....but this doesn't mention about the Xdrive 3 series...

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news...eshaft-problem

Could this be it?

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #107
Juiced46
Major
Rep

Quote:
I did some investigation. Juiced, you mentioned about you having to replace your driveshaft because on the Xi's....but this doesn't mention about the Xdrive 3 series...

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news...eshaft-problem

Could this be it?
No that wouldnt be it. That is for XDrive vehicles only, for the front driveshaft (shaft that connects the transfercase to the front differential) RWD cars do not have this, and Saras car is RWD so it wouldnt apply.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #108
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

I'm just going to bring my car back tomorrow with out an appointment.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #109
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
It could be power steering related for sure. Could be an under/over full power steering system or something in the pressure line backfeeding back into the system when its not supposed to. The system builds pressure when turning one way, and releases when turning the other. So if it makes the noise when turning one way, but not the other, it could be power steering related.

Sara- Does it make it when you turn left or right, both ways, one way? I'm assuming its there when you are driving straight as well?

It could be so many different things. Could be a weak belt tensioner causing the belt to "slip" squeel or make the power steering pump make noise on turns. Ive also seen the steeering shaft u joint bind up when turning. But this usually causes a binding feeling when turning.

It still could be something with the brakes, something rubbing when braking that may have been overlooked by the tech.
It's chirps while braking and going straight It chirps without braking but only when turning left it also chirps with braking and going left. Wtf
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #110
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

Don't feel bad, it's not the first time they return a car back to a customer with the same problem after throwing a bunch of parts at it. Happened to me twice. To add insult to injury, the second time they broke and left oil marks on an interior trim piece. It was replaced after I lost my mind on them, but it happens. Don't be surprised if it's not fixed the second time either.
Appreciate 0