E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Combox retrofit connected drive help needed

09-24-2019, 05:21 PM   #1
rcpham
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Combox retrofit connected drive help needed

I have an 2009 e92 (11/2008 build) and just finished the combox retrofit. I got Bluetooth audio working now but can't figure out connected drive. It still says bmw assist on the menu. I think my cic version is 2.070(from Inpa) and have both CONNECTED_DRIVE = aktiv and A4A_REMOTE_APPS = aktiv. Not sure if I need an fsc code, my cic firmware updated or both. Could someone point me in the right direction to get this working? Thanks for any help in advance.

Richard
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 11:45 AM   #2
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

You'll need a FSC for ConnectedDrive.
      09-26-2019, 07:41 PM   #3
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 330e (F30)

As per Inxguy, you need an FSC (specifically 9C). You also need 6FL (usb in center console) or 6NF (smartphone prep in center console). If you purchase the certificate from the dealer, I'm guessing they will do all the programming for you.

If you're wondering if it can be patched in, the answer is yes... but you'll need to upgrade the firmware in your CIC to version C1A via flashing, which requires an ICOM to perform safely. Then you can use CIC patcher to change the root certificate, which will allow you to insert all new FSCs (your legitimate ones will no longer work including navigation and voice control). Then add $6NR to your FA/VO, update build date to #0311 and default code your CIC and MEDIA.

Keep in mind, 2009 CICs did not have the satellite radio port in the back of the CIC but instead used a module in the trunk. If you have satellite radio and you update the build date to 0311, the satellite radio module in trunk will stop working as the CIC will attempt to use the [non-existent] port in the headunit.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 07:56 PM   #4
rcpham
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

After checking ncsexpert, I have cic version c1a. I have usb in the armrest from the factory, changed the VO to 0311 to get the combox working already and I don't have satellite radio. How difficult is it to clear the cic of all the fsc certificates and patch new ones to get connected apps working? Could this be done remotely?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 10:30 PM   #5
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep

I wrote a mini-tutorial on using CIC patcher as part of my CIC retrofit thread. I can be done remotely I’m sure but I don’t know who offers this. Maybe contact the person who runs cicretrofit.com? Or ask in the coding forum.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 03:39 AM   #6
Pierre26
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009-335D Pack M

@rcpham : filter my pm, just discovering your thread : you are in a lucky situation and i don't know why because according your built car date you should have in NCS the CiC.08 version instead of the *.1A ; so i think an update was done since factory.
You are not in the exactly same situation like FaxData who swapped his factory CCC for a CiC (+ Combox).
Take first the easier way : i think you can add your wanted VOs using NCS and you will see, without putting any FSC to activate them.
This happened to me after flashing to the famous V41 (= CiC.1A in NCS) using WinKFP in expert mode, 9C activated but couldn't verify the effectiveness as a have a smartphone instead of an iPhone, but Apps were displayed on the CiD.
As i live in Europe the VO Phone options are not the same as in US so can't tell you.
You can find the BMW options list, if not ask and will send it by personal mail.
So try to code (FA write) with NCS in CiC and Nfrm first, see the changes and reports us.

Remember, flashing the CiC needs mandatory HW : PSU (you can build one for cheap, see pm) and an original optical ICOM, the OBD part Clone only is running, if you want to patch after the latest version.
The patch put a 90 hex data at the right place meaning a NOP (no operation) BUT be sure of the correct version before.
Let us know, and give your VO, that will help you which one(s) to delete and which to add.
@FaxData : you did a lot of work ! thanks for sharing to the community.

Last edited by Pierre26; 10-06-2019 at 03:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 04:48 AM   #7
Theana9
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaxData View Post
As per Inxguy, you need an FSC (specifically 9C). You also need 6FL (usb in center console) or 6NF (smartphone prep in center console). If you purchase the certificate from the dealer, I'm guessing they will do all the programming for you.

If you're wondering if it can be patched in, the answer is yes... but you'll need to upgrade the firmware in your CIC to version C1A via flashing, which requires an ICOM to perform safely. Then you can use CIC patcher to change the root certificate, which will allow you to insert all new FSCs (your legitimate ones will no longer work including navigation and voice control). Then add $6NR to your FA/VO, update build date to #0311 and default code your CIC and MEDIA.

Keep in mind, 2009 CICs did not have the satellite radio port in the back of the CIC but instead used a module in the trunk. If you have satellite radio and you update the build date to 0311, the satellite radio module in trunk will stop working as the CIC will attempt to use the [non-existent] port in the headunit.
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 12:24 PM   #8
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre26 View Post
@rcpham : filter my pm, just discovering your thread : you are in a lucky situation and i don't know why because according your built car date you should have in NCS the CiC.08 version instead of the *.1A ; so i think an update was done since factory.
You are not in the exactly same situation like FaxData who swapped his factory CCC for a CiC (+ Combox).
Take first the easier way : i think you can add your wanted VOs using NCS and you will see, without putting any FSC to activate them.
This happened to me after flashing to the famous V41 (= CiC.1A in NCS) using WinKFP in expert mode, 9C activated but couldn't verify the effectiveness as a have a smartphone instead of an iPhone, but Apps were displayed on the CiD.
As i live in Europe the VO Phone options are not the same as in US so can't tell you.
You can find the BMW options list, if not ask and will send it by personal mail.
So try to code (FA write) with NCS in CiC and Nfrm first, see the changes and reports us.

Remember, flashing the CiC needs mandatory HW : PSU (you can build one for cheap, see pm) and an original optical ICOM, the OBD part Clone only is running, if you want to patch after the latest version.
The patch put a 90 hex data at the right place meaning a NOP (no operation) BUT be sure of the correct version before.
Let us know, and give your VO, that will help you which one(s) to delete and which to add.
@FaxData : you did a lot of work ! thanks for sharing to the community.
That’s interesting, I was under the impression people were avoiding C1A (or downgrading to an older firmware) because it introduced the necessity of adding an FSC! If you have time, you could use FSC Tools or FSTool2 to verify that 9C is indeed valid on your unit. If I understand default coding correctly, coding the CIC with NCS Expert will make the menu option appear but it won’t work.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 05:09 AM   #9
Pierre26
Private First Class
Rep

@Fax : you 're right, i did 2 years ago so correcting my last post with details,
V41 is definitively CiC.16 (i went back looking at it in my laptop).
Also added scripting the *.swt on start to have Voice control and BM Apps aka ConnectedDrive, VC (17) running but didn't try the CD one (9C).
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 11:50 AM   #10
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep

That method definitely works and is easier if you have C16 for sure!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 01:09 PM   #11
rcpham
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the help Pierre and faxdata. I'm going to try to enter these fsc certifates now.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 02:45 PM   #12
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep

Let us know how it turns out!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 03:30 AM   #13
rcpham
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

So I've hit a problem. I was able to install fsc 17 and 19 but fstool2 hung while installing 1b. I aborted the program and tried clearing all the fsc with the usb in the glovebox but that also hung and didn't reboot the cic. I checked the status with fsctool and now the cic won't read properly. I still have radio and bluetooth function with my phone but can't get anything to code now. How do I reset my cic to recode everything?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 06:31 AM   #14
Pierre26
Private First Class
Rep

just for help

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpham View Post
Thanks for the help Pierre and faxdata. I'm going to try to enter these fsc certifates now.
This FA is ONLY for E series
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW CIC PATCHER v2.pdf (474.5 KB, 8412 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 06:52 AM   #15
Pierre26
Private First Class
Rep

Shit, coming just (but too late) after about what i was warning you to do in PM before doing anything ....
What did you exactly do, step by step to understand / helping you next.
if FStools tells you the same, you just wiped your OEM FSCs.
waiting,
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 08:03 AM   #16
rcpham
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I wiped my oem fscs before I read that I could save them just in case. I was able to install fsc 17 and 19. So after using fsctool to check if the certificate and fsc were accepted, I then used fstool2 to store fsc cert , check fsc cert, store fsc, check fsc for the 1B fsc. But after pressing execute it hung and didn't process. So I closed fstool2 and opened fsctool to check the status of the certificates and fsc. 17 and 19 were still accepted but nothing for 1B. I wanted to start fresh and then tired to wipe out everything again and connected the usb to the glovebox port. This is what messed things up. When I checked the status of things with fsctool, it read all funny. In my cic, the navigation menu is selectable but asks for an activation code. Trying to execute to store and check any fsc now just hangs and doesn't process. So how do I get my cic to write again?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 11:32 AM   #17
rcpham
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Update....so I uninstalled and reinstalled all the software and I'm relieved that the cic is reading again now. I don't know if it was that or if the cable was loose or something. However, I still can't install fsc 1B. Gives me error 1000 on fstool2. What do I need to do to complete this? Thanks for the help everyone.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 12:56 PM   #18
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep

You need a newer version of CarServer. Specifically you need to update the folder "C:\EC-APPS\CarServer\data\gdaten" Look for a file called swtconf0.dat, it should be 8-9 KB in size. If it's 2 KB in size, it'll be too old to process your ECU.

In my experience though, copying over the CarServer files will help with 1B but success is variable with 9C. I recommend starting fresh with FSTool2 02.02.00 if you can.

Also, the USB patch script only runs on an unpatched C1A firmware - there's no need to run it again since your CIC is already patched. To return to factory, you can flash to stock C1A with an ICOM, that should remove the patch. You might also be able to get a stock copy of /mnt/HBpersistence/rcert.swt from someone with an untouched C1A. But I don't know if you backed up your FSCs or not, so I wouldn't bother reverting to stock. Just proceed with uploading patched certificates.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 09:14 PM   #19
rcpham
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Coding completed! My carserver was an older version. After I installed the new program files as suggested, everything installed in like 5 minutes. Thanks for the help faxdata.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 10:21 PM   #20
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 08:26 AM   #21
Pierre26
Private First Class
Rep

As many stated it before, including in others forums, the carserver files version was the main trick.
the right swtconf0.dat size is 8 901 octets, 12888 octets on the HD.
‎Date : 30 ‎april ‎2015, ‏‎09:23:14
Very glad you finally succeed in your project !
Appreciate 0