E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Paint for headlight shrouds

04-28-2021, 04:49 PM   #1
E92_James
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i | 2020 X3 X30i

Garage List
2019 F36 440i  [0.00]
Paint for headlight shrouds

I've been doing some research for the past week on what spray paint to get for my custom headlight project and it's so hard to choose. I was going to get rustoleum but one post said rustoleum was bad and they used duplicolor.. currently I found something on amazon that's called Krylon fusion and it seems pretty good, it's matte black so it should match the stock matte black trim inside the headlight and it says there's no need to prime.

For those that have built headlights in the past, what matte/flat black spray paint have you used to paint the chrome shrouds inside the headlights? Has anyone used the Krylon fusion in the past can give me input on it because I tried to see and it looks like nobody has used that paint in this particular project but it has a TON of reviews by people so it seems widely used.

I just want to make sure the chrome shrouds are going to match up with the stock matte black trim inside the headlights before I put the DTM rings in and seal everything back up
      05-01-2021, 07:08 PM   #2
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Most people change the chrome parts over to black or dark colors. You mentioned keep your shrouds chrome. If you decide to change them to painted, easy off oven cleaner really strips the chrome off great but make sure to do in a well ventilated area. I'm painting my internal parts charcoal gray and thin covering that with matte clear to not have it shiny. I could only find the charcoal paint in full gloss. I believe the charcoal metallic is a rustoleum product and it is part of a special "metallic" line. I am planning to run umnitza led halos. I have cut the inner halos to be 270 deg circumference instead of full 360 deg. Outer halos also reduced to same 270. I plan to glue the LED halos to the existing angel eyes to let them be floating. I demoed this using 2 sided 3M tape to see if the outer halo tube will also be lit. It didn't. If it did, the plan was going to be to paint the outer halo black. Lots of internal customization going on in my build including inboard projectors instead of cornering lights.

I agonized over colors too. I bought many many cans demoeing on junk parts to make color decision. I do still need to decide what color to paint the eyebrow part. OE is a translucent white and the part typically yellows from sun and heat so it will need to be updated. I have seen E92 carbon fiber "looking" eye brows but not for E90 which i have. I'd rather the part be low key anway so I will put the matte clear on top of whatever I use to "deshine" it. Good luck!
Appreciate 0