E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > XI Front Strut on RWD

02-26-2020, 09:06 PM   #1
B6T
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i 6-speed

XI Front Strut on RWD

I got a great deal on a nearly new set of KW V3s from a local guy who parts out BMWs. They were advertised for a RWD E90, which is what I drive. Turns out that although the vehicle was RWD, it actually had XI fitment coil-overs for some reason. Can't blame the seller, aside from not checking the part numbers on KWs website, since they actually came off a RWD car...

Anyway, I understand the difference between the XI and RWD front suspension lies in the height of the front knuckle, in that the XI is taller as measured between the bore for the strut down to the control arms by a certain amount, leading to a shorter strut.

I've checked the specs for XI and RWD V3s on the KW website and there is about a 1" difference in adjustability range which leads me to believe this may be the same difference in the strut length. Doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

I'm expecting the front end to sit lower if I run these struts, leading me to have to wind the spring perch all the way up. But I'm not sure what ride height this would leave me with.

Any ideas? I appreciate the feedback!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 10:04 PM   #2
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
take the wheel off and measure the stock strut height and compare

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 06:20 PM   #3
B6T
Private First Class
Rep

It worked.

Although the RWD strut is longer, the clamping position is very close between the two. The additional length of the RWD strut is below that clamping point, essentially directly where the CV joint for the front wheels on the XI runs.

The difference in wheel position with the XI strut installed is only 0.25" of an inch upwards, measured with the suspension completely unloaded.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 09:26 AM   #4
Soravia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 Silver xDrive 6MT

Pictures please. I have xDrive and want to know how RWD coilovers will fit.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 02:20 PM   #5
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

How do the sway bar attachment point heights compare?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 11:49 PM   #6
Soravia
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
How do the sway bar attachment point heights compare?
Not just height, but also the angle they sit relative to the strut locating pin / stub to fit into the front spindle/knuckle slot.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 05:58 PM   #7
B6T
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soravia View Post
Not just height, but also the angle they sit relative to the strut locating pin / stub to fit into the front spindle/knuckle slot.
The height is identical as measured from the underside of the upper strut mount to the centre of the hole in the sway bar mounting tab on the strut body. But the angle of the tab is definitely different and positions the upper ball joint of the sway bar link at a wonky angle.

In retrospect, my guess is that the front sway bar is different on the XI and doesn't reach as far back longitudinally as the bar on the RWD, likely to make space for the front half-shafts. In turn, this positions the sway bar links at an angle so the lower ball joints reach the comparatively further forward sway bar and clear the half-shafts as well. The tab is likely angled in turn to keep the axis of the upper ball joint perpendicular to the link.

I have a solution that might work which I am going to investigate later tonight.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 10:15 PM   #8
Soravia
Captain
United_States
Rep

It's the tab that's the issue. On my xDrive the sway links are perpendicular to the car, when the steering is dead ahead.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 09:41 PM   #9
stelvio
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 335xi + E70 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by B6T View Post
The height is identical as measured from the underside of the upper strut mount to the centre of the hole in the sway bar mounting tab on the strut body. But the angle of the tab is definitely different and positions the upper ball joint of the sway bar link at a wonky angle.

In retrospect, my guess is that the front sway bar is different on the XI and doesn't reach as far back longitudinally as the bar on the RWD, likely to make space for the front half-shafts. In turn, this positions the sway bar links at an angle so the lower ball joints reach the comparatively further forward sway bar and clear the half-shafts as well. The tab is likely angled in turn to keep the axis of the upper ball joint perpendicular to the link.

I have a solution that might work which I am going to investigate later tonight.
..still holding my breath here for the solution.
Appreciate 0