E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Best price for n54 valve cover?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-15-2018, 11:26 AM   #1
whyzee125
Major
342
Rep
1,324
Posts

Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chattanooga Tn

iTrader: (0)

Best price for n54 valve cover?

EDIT: I bought it and the valve cover arrived today and is genuine, packaged well, and includes bolts. Arrived 4 days after placing the order. I couldn't be happier.

I'm about to do my valve cover and gasket and ran across this on eBay. I messaged the seller to confirm and they said it is, in fact, Genuine BMW. Doesn't seem to have the bolts so if that's the reason for being so cheap I'm not concerned. But this is about $180 cheaper than the lowest price which is at FCP using a coupon. What do you think?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-BMW...ba9c%7Ciid%3A1

Last edited by whyzee125; 08-30-2018 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 11:32 AM   #2
whyzee125
Major
342
Rep
1,324
Posts

Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chattanooga Tn

iTrader: (0)

I just bought it. We'll see how it goes!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 01:55 PM   #3
bluewater328
Major
United_States
229
Rep
1,197
Posts

Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hawaii

iTrader: (0)

I think the concern would be more about the gasket fitment.

I rather by OEM for this kinda thing, since its one of those jobs I'd hate to repeat if you found out the part sucked halfway or more through.

That said, keep us all posted as this is pretty much a requirement at high milage for our cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 02:00 PM   #4
whyzee125
Major
342
Rep
1,324
Posts

Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chattanooga Tn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
I think the concern would be more about the gasket fitment.

I rather by OEM for this kinda thing, since its one of those jobs I'd hate to repeat if you found out the part sucked halfway or more through.

That said, keep us all posted as this is pretty much a requirement at high milage for our cars.
If it's not an OEM/Genuine cover and gasket I'm sending it back. There are plenty of cheap ones on eBay from aftermarket companies and ECStuning even sells the Uro branded one. I bought this because they specifically said it's Genuine BMW so we'll see if it actually is. Fingers crossed! I'll keep you all posted
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 02:07 PM   #5
bluewater328
Major
United_States
229
Rep
1,197
Posts

Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hawaii

iTrader: (0)

good luck If it's the OEM one with the gaskets in place that would be awesome!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 02:27 PM   #6
whyzee125
Major
342
Rep
1,324
Posts

Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chattanooga Tn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
good luck If it's the OEM one with the gaskets in place that would be awesome!
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 11:12 AM   #7
GEOS07335i
Lieutenant
117
Rep
517
Posts

Drives: 08 335i
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Ebay is well known for selling counterfit items. Becareful. I would rather go through a vendor like FCP Euro but it's alot more expensive or even RockAuto.com.

Check the location of where it's being shipped from if it's from china or another country outside of Germany that could send up a red flag. I heard that the counterfeit VC's tend to crack prematurely.

looks like it's out of the UK probably ok. Good luck let us know how it goes.

Careful when pulling out the back connection it's a real pain in the arse. The connector that goes to the PCV Valve on the top side closes to the firewall. That broke on me and I had to buy a new one.
__________________
2008 335i E93, DP's, 7" FMIC, DCI,CP TIAL Q BOV, MHD Stage 2+, Alpina Flash
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 11:10 PM   #8
whyzee125
Major
342
Rep
1,324
Posts

Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chattanooga Tn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEOS07335i View Post
Ebay is well known for selling counterfit items. Becareful. I would rather go through a vendor like FCP Euro but it's alot more expensive or even RockAuto.com.

Check the location of where it's being shipped from if it's from china or another country outside of Germany that could send up a red flag. I heard that the counterfeit VC's tend to crack prematurely.

looks like it's out of the UK probably ok. Good luck let us know how it goes.

Careful when pulling out the back connection it's a real pain in the arse. The connector that goes to the PCV Valve on the top side closes to the firewall. That broke on me and I had to buy a new one.
For sure, I really hope they don't send me a counterfeit or I will be returning it. This place is a Saab Indy that has excellent reviews so I'm hopeful! Thanks for the tip too!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 10:26 AM   #9
Sgop335
Lieutenant Colonel
Sgop335's Avatar
United_States
505
Rep
1,831
Posts

Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: MD

iTrader: (1)

neo brothers was a reputable place just like genuine saab or taliaferro from the US. Im guessing they still are. Good price esp. from uk, post some "bmw" pics when you get it.
__________________
Space grau metallic / Dakota red leather
335i 0-60 3.6s
535i 0-60 3.8s
Appreciate 1
whyzee125341.50

      08-20-2018, 07:33 PM   #10
123Britt
Captain
United_States
161
Rep
663
Posts

Drives: 15 M235i AT
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Madison, Alabama

iTrader: (0)

Gasket Sealant?

Using any Valve cover sealant - Like Hondabond HT?
.
The inner half moons - I put on my N54 at the recommendation of my BMW mechanic (dealership)
.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 10:50 PM   #11
whyzee125
Major
342
Rep
1,324
Posts

Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chattanooga Tn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Britt View Post
Using any Valve cover sealant - Like Hondabond HT?
.
The inner half moons - I put on my N54 at the recommendation of my BMW mechanic (dealership)
.
I hadn't looked into it but now I will. I know Toyota uses their own RTV type sealant (Toyota FIPG) and while it's super annoying to scrape off all the gaskets and mating surfaces, it definitely works. Thanks for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 09:59 PM   #12
SJM67
New Member
SJM67's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
26
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 335I Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: 408

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1995 BMW 318I  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335I  [0.00]
so any updates on this Valve Cover???........i need to change my VCG and looking to replace my VC in the process...i'm at 129K and starting to get a whiff of burning oil with smoke.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 12:13 PM   #13
whyzee125
Major
342
Rep
1,324
Posts

Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chattanooga Tn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM67 View Post
so any updates on this Valve Cover???........i need to change my VCG and looking to replace my VC in the process...i'm at 129K and starting to get a whiff of burning oil with smoke.
OEM—just like what you’d buy from FCPeuro
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 10:22 AM   #14
LukasRCS
Registered
Czech_Republic
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: 135i n54
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: CzechRepublic

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
OEM—just like what you’d buy from FCPeuro
I just got a valve cover from the Neo Brothers. In my opinion, this is not a genuine OEM replacement part. Missing BMW and Mahle logos, casting quality does not match original part. Also did not come part in the original box. It's probably a Chinese copy.
Attached Images
        

Last edited by LukasRCS; 05-22-2019 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 04:50 PM   #15
whyzee125
Major
342
Rep
1,324
Posts

Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chattanooga Tn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasRCS View Post
I just got a valve cover from the Neo Brothers. In my opinion, this is not a genuine OEM replacement part. Missing BMW and Mahle logos, casting quality does not match original part. Also did not come part in the original box. It's probably a Chinese copy.
That does look like a Chinese copy. Mine looked nothing like this and had the Mahle logo like the OEM one. Did not have the BMW logo though.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 05:09 PM   #16
LukasRCS
Registered
Czech_Republic
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: 135i n54
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: CzechRepublic

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
That does look like a Chinese copy. Mine looked nothing like this and had the Mahle logo like the OEM one. Did not have the BMW logo though.
If there are not all the original logos on the spare part, this is not a genuine spare part but it is an aftermarket spare part.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 11:27 AM   #17
iqraceworks
Captain
iqraceworks's Avatar
259
Rep
990
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (0)

I'm needing to order a new valve cover soon.....just wondering what was determined on the eBay ones? Are they all junk? Should I just buy OEM BMW and move on, or can I save some money?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 11:46 AM   #18
TheMidnightNarwhal
Brigadier General
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
1124
Rep
4,445
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is 6 speed
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
I'm needing to order a new valve cover soon.....just wondering what was determined on the eBay ones? Are they all junk? Should I just buy OEM BMW and move on, or can I save some money?
I'd just get the OE from FCP. If not I believe the Uro Parts one is not bad but if it breaks and you buy a new one it costs as much as getting the OE in the 1st place and the uro part warranty is 2 years I think and with FCP you got lifetime warranty so... I'd just shell out for OE piece. That's what I did.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 11:56 AM   #19
iqraceworks
Captain
iqraceworks's Avatar
259
Rep
990
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (0)

I wonder if the quality of the pcv system in the aftermarket VC's are as good either?

Sounds like I'm going to just buy OEM.....buy once cry once 😀
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 06:19 PM   #20
Sgop335
Lieutenant Colonel
Sgop335's Avatar
United_States
505
Rep
1,831
Posts

Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: MD

iTrader: (1)

I see some low mileage bmw ones on ebay.
__________________
Space grau metallic / Dakota red leather
335i 0-60 3.6s
535i 0-60 3.8s
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 10:43 PM   #21
iqraceworks
Captain
iqraceworks's Avatar
259
Rep
990
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335 View Post
I see some low mileage bmw ones on ebay.
I would be worried about rolling the dice on a used valve cover.....
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST