E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Effect of using 100 RON fuel on non-tuned N54?

01-22-2015, 04:50 PM   #1
Aashenfox
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi 6AT

Effect of using 100 RON fuel on non-tuned N54?

Hey folks, so I've got an 08 335xi AT with an Akrapovic cat-back I bought just yesterday (the car, not the pipe). I don't know what fuel the previous owner was using, but I could find out if it really matters, and the car has ridiculously low mileage.

Here in Eastern Europe we have free access to many 'super' unleadeds, such as Shell V-Power Racing 100 RON, as well as regular V-power etc etc. The price of the super isn't 'that' much more, especially for someone like me who hardly ever uses the car (2000 miles a year).

I've been told by 2 gas station owners independently that the super unleaded pumps always have less crap in the filters, and that they are a cleaner fuel, so that is always a consideration, if valid.

I think the true octane rating of these fuels is 96-97, anyway...I do plan on tuning sooner or later, but currently the car is on stock BMW settings.

Should I be using the super fuel anyway? Or will it make zero difference? And if it makes zero difference, would it still not be worth it, assuming that the fuel is cleaner, if that assertion is accurate? cleaner fuel's always gotta be better, right? Thanks in advance for thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 04:57 PM   #2
TheYuriPanda
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i XDrive E90 2010

I'm not a scientist or really good with fuel. But I don't think it'll make a difference without a tune. Plus your paying more.
      01-22-2015, 09:10 PM   #3
proTUNING Freaks
Rep
Drives: powered by bootmod3

Effect you wouldn't want, a waste of money.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 12:45 AM   #4
Aashenfox
Captain
Greece
Rep

Ok, PTF, what if I was using the JB4, I know I don't have the required supporting mods to run map 7 yet, and I assume map 1 would also not take advantage of the fuel. Any way I can use the fuel in a worthwhile way before being ready for map 7?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 07:42 AM   #5
TheYuriPanda
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashenfox
Ok, PTF, what if I was using the JB4, I know I don't have the required supporting mods to run map 7 yet, and I assume map 1 would also not take advantage of the fuel. Any way I can use the fuel in a worthwhile way before being ready for map 7?
Why are you wanting to run it so fast? Should save the money you'd be wasting on the fuel, just get what you need to pass by, and save for supporting mods to use the fuel. Won't be much use. If you get a jb4, you can try map 5. Idk how much it'll let you go.
      01-23-2015, 10:06 AM   #6
marv85
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashenfox View Post
with no backend flash, any map on the JB4 (besides stock maps) will benefit from the higher octane
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 10:29 AM   #7
Aashenfox
Captain
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYuriPanda View Post
Why are you wanting to run it so fast? Should save the money you'd be wasting on the fuel, just get what you need to pass by, and save for supporting mods to use the fuel. Won't be much use. If you get a jb4, you can try map 5. Idk how much it'll let you go.
It's a couple cents on the liter difference, negligible, we're talking 100 bucks saved a year maybe, if I needed money that bad I wouldn't have bought a fast beamer. I want to use it because I know at the end of the day octane is the key to power, plus I'm led to understand that the fuel is cleaner.

Map 5 is the one that adapts to what you've got, isn't it... I figured that would be my best bet, but hey, since as mentioned above, all higher boost maps would benefit, that's really the info I was looking for.

Thanks v much guys.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 10:54 AM   #8
TheYuriPanda
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashenfox
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYuriPanda View Post
It's a couple cents on the liter difference, negligible, we're talking 100 bucks saved a year maybe, if I needed money that bad I wouldn't have bought a fast beamer. I want to use it because I know at the end of the day octane is the key to power, plus I'm led to understand that the fuel is cleaner.

Map 5 is the one that adapts to what you've got, isn't it... I figured that would be my best bet, but hey, since as mentioned above, all higher boost maps would benefit, that's really the info I was looking for.

Thanks v much guys.
Map 5 will be the best.
Also didn't know the price of gas around you,

Running map 7 without supporting mods could end badly. All maps could use higher octane as mentioned but maps 1 and 2 which are locked psi will push those amounts regaurdless.
Map 5 could go up to 17 if I remember correctly. That's what inreccomend