E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Bricked ECU?

01-28-2015, 01:52 AM   #1
ledorkii
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 335i

Bricked ECU?

Hey guys. I've run into quite a dilemma tonight. I was trying to change the map on my e90 335i using my Cobb AP. The flash went through fine, but when I went to turn the car on, it wouldn't start. I thought that the flash was installed incorrectly, so I attempted to uninstall Cobb on my car, and the flash failed. At this point, my car's battery ran out of juice.

I was able to jump start the car using a friend's car, and ran recovery mode. Recovery mode flashed the ECU no problem, but I had the same problem with the car not starting. I tried connecting the Cobb AP to the car, and see if I could switch maps or uninstall it again and the Cobb threw an error saying that it could not recognize the vehicle. Is my car's ECU bricked?

Now my car's battery is completely dead, and jump starting it doesn't do it any good. Is there anything that I can do? Should I have the car towed to my local BMW dealership and have them replace the battery and reflash the ECU? Any idea how much this would cost me (in Los Angeles)? I would bring the car to an indy shop and have them replace the battery, but that still doesn't solve the problem of my potentially bricked ECU. What should I do at this point?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 02:33 AM   #2
blisstik
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

Get a new battery first at an indy as getting a new DME will be in the thousands. They will need to code the battery in. Then you can try to reflash.

The other thing you can try is to get a battery tender and leave it on for 24 hours then try to reflash while it's connected.

Contact Cobb directly so they can help you with the recovery.
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2015, 02:50 AM   #3
ledorkii
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisstik View Post
Get a new battery first at an indy as getting a new DME will be in the thousands. They will need to code the battery in. Then you can try to reflash.

The other thing you can try is to get a battery tender and leave it on for 24 hours then try to reflash while it's connected.

Holy crap, that's expensive. Thanks, I'll replace the battery and contact Cobb.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 02:56 AM   #4
ledorkii
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisstik View Post

Also, there seems to be a loud constant clicking noise coming from my gear shift. What could that be a sign of? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 03:04 AM   #5
RSL
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 (Retired) / 335is

You can try jumper cables to another running car to charge the battery and to uninstall/reinstall. A charger/tender/booster would be a good idea regardless. Flashes are quick, but install/uninstall take a good 10 minutes each and the fuel pump runs almost the whole time.

Turn off everything that's on in the Run position: A/C, angels/DRLs, radio, etc. Do not open any door after you start flashing.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 03:07 AM   #6
ledorkii
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL View Post
You can try jumper cables to another running car to charge the battery and to uninstall/reinstall. A charger/tender/booster would be a good idea regardless. Flashes are quick, but install/uninstall take a good 10 minutes each and the fuel pump runs almost the whole time.

Turn off everything that's on in the Run position: A/C, angels/DRLs, radio, etc. Do not open any door after you start flashing.
Thanks for the advice. I'll contact Cobb in the morning to figure out why the AP is not recognizing my car, and I'll jump start the car again and redo the flash/uninstall.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 06:18 PM   #7
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Get an actual battery charger. Let it charge up your battery. The , leave it plugged in and charging at low voltage whenever you uninstall or install Cobb. It's only $70 bucks for a decent charger from Sears.

After your charged, try to see what's goin on w Cobb

I would do this before getting a new battery.
      01-28-2015, 06:32 PM   #8
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Get a battery charger and charge the battery. Once fully charged you can try refreshing it. You really need to be in contact with COBB. I am sure they have seen this a few times and know exactly what to do.

Mike
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2015, 06:33 PM   #9
N3m3sis
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Do the battery stuff and contact ken @ wedge performance! Ken was a huge help when mine go screwed up
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 10:39 PM   #10
NA55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Start with the battery.. your battery shouldn't discharge during the flash process..
Appreciate 0