E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > High school drags!

01-13-2015, 09:18 AM   #23
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
Well it makes sense he mentioned his age, since it's about a high school age drag event...

If he didn't, people would've started off with "how old are you? you have a 335xi and go to high school? wtf."

I don't agree with starting threads with your age, but this time it makes sense. Give the kid a break, he's asking for advice on racing off the streets.
Appreciate 2
      01-13-2015, 10:44 AM   #24
bokyo1987
Asleep
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Camry

Take out the first three sentences and the OP probably wouldn't have rubbed as many people the wrong way.
Others sold: W204 C350, E90 330i, W-body Monte Carlo SS, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 10:44 AM   #25
MiniXP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 06 X5 3.0

what happens if you break 12.0?
      01-13-2015, 10:51 AM   #26
TheYuriPanda
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i XDrive E90 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYuriPanda View Post
Sign.. I don't get why there's so much hate on the fourms.. If drag racing is something someone likes to do more power to them. And if the track is your thing, more power to you lol.
yours is more about comparing ego with your peers rather than drag racings...

it wasn't long ago that I was your age, so trust me I know how these things works.
Comparing ego? I was asking for tips. You people act like you know everything lol. So what you were my age at one time? You were at my age a diffrent time and in a diffrent society.
      01-13-2015, 10:54 AM   #27
TheYuriPanda
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
Well it makes sense he mentioned his age, since it's about a high school age drag event...

If he didn't, people would've started off with "how old are you? you have a 335xi and go to high school? wtf."

I don't agree with starting threads with your age, but this time it makes sense. Give the kid a break, he's asking for advice on racing off the streets.
Woah! Someone that actually is helping, thanks! I appreciate it a lot. Wonder if it's reverse here and if I was 50 years old and street racing it would be okay, haha.
      01-13-2015, 10:55 AM   #28
TheYuriPanda
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniXP
what happens if you break 12.0?
It's a time bracket. If you run times lower than that you'll be pulled out and can't compete anymore.
      01-13-2015, 11:58 AM   #29
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport 6MT LMB

Bunch of sore people here. Drag racing is fun, competitive and requires skill. I find it hilarious when people bash it and say "throw some turns in it." It may be easier in an automatic to drag race, but then again you're driving an auto, so how can you really bash one form of driving over another. Drag racing a manual is another game entirely, and I love when people talk trash then go and run 1 second slower than what the car should do.

OP you will not break out of 12s at that altitude, I would guess bottom 13s and with some seat time you might clip a 12.8. MPH will probably be 110 area. Be safe
Appreciate 2
      01-13-2015, 12:04 PM   #30
BAL278
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi JB

They just Peanut Butter and Jealous!

2008 335xi Jet Black//Coral Red
VTT Stage 1+// Procede V5//VRSF DPs//AMS FMIC//KW V1//M3 Sways & Sub Bushings// Alpina AT flash
Apex EC-7//Michelin PSS//Dinan CAI
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #31
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
sigh... dont really get the obsession with 1/4 miles on this forum. anyone with big enough wallet and a lead foot can go fast in a straight line (not saying real drag racing is easy, but it is much easier to cover up lack of driving skills with faster car in this type of racing).

add a few corners to it is when things get interesting. plus, kids might actually learn a few things about how to really handle a car, instead of just doing ricer flybys and "pulls" on the highways...
wtf does that have anything to do with wat he posted? he's asking questions about a drag strip. if he had questions about a track and turning he'd fuckin ask that
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2015, 01:07 PM   #32
CHECKERED
ex deus machina
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30, F15, Audi S4

Quote:
sigh... don’t really get the obsession with 1/4 miles on this forum.
it’s a measure of performance, you can compare your 1/4mile result to any other result even on a different track (accounting for DA)
Quote:
…(not saying real drag racing is easy, but it is much easier to cover up lack of driving skills with faster car in this type of racing). add a few corners to it is when things get interesting.
I can say the same thing about track/canyon racing anyone with a Nissan GTR or Ferrari 458 can set their electronic nannies to correct any mistake by the driver, so everyone looks like a track hero regardless of actual skill involved.
Quote:
plus, kids might actually learn a few things about how to really handle a car, instead of just doing ricer flybys and "pulls" on the highways...
Going perfectly straight under hard acceleration for ¼ mile is harder then you think, that’s why you see some people post traps and no ET (because they keep weaving in their lane) also, setting up the car, launching, and what factors effect acceleration performance (diameter of tires, traction, weight, DA) to get a good result rather than just ok…there is some learning involved in that…
Gone: E92 335i N54 468rwtq
Appreciate 2
      01-13-2015, 01:33 PM   #33
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

For the record, op drives an AT and was the same person who wanted to add 2-step rev limiter on their AT car for sound and show just a few weeks ago. I am usually refrain myself from this kind of thread, but together with the hey I am 17, haters gonna hate attitude it, I guess I took the bait this time.

I mean no disrespect to the drag race junkies up here. But this sort topics has been beat to death here and a simple search would have turned wealth of information for any true enthusiasts that actually bother to understand what they are doing to their car.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 02:04 PM   #34
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport 6MT LMB

Quote:
For the record, op drives an AT and was the same person who wanted to add 2-step rev limiter on their AT car for sound and show just a few weeks ago. I am usually refrain myself from this kind of thread, but together with the hey I am 17, haters gonna hate attitude it, I guess I took the bait this time.

I mean no disrespect to the drag race junkies up here. But this sort topics has been beat to death here and a simple search would have turned wealth of information for any true enthusiasts that actually bother to understand what they are doing to their car.
This topic is more refreshing than "which tune should I get", "what exhaust sounds best", "What intercooler is biggest", "I got a misfire". And so on.

He's 17, he's gonna ask dumb questions. Best direct him in the correct way as opposed to coming off like a douche and only reinforce a negative BMW stereotype.

Appreciate 2
      01-13-2015, 04:40 PM   #35
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
Quote:
Agreed but it could've been spun differently. OP, just guidelines for something similar in the future, you could've probably searched around in this subforum and Tracking/Drag/Auto-X subforum, and looked for time slips of cars with comparable mods to solve your question about 12s.

You've got a car with a motor that can make good power fairly easily, so there's gonna be drag junkies. Chassis that can handle with a few mods, track junkies. Best advice, try both and improve your overall skill set.

Last edited by zero2sixtyZ; 01-13-2015 at 04:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 04:56 PM   #36
TheYuriPanda
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue

I think it's pretty cool and funny. 2 step me brah. I also wanted to have my car pop and shoot little fireballs hate on me.
      01-13-2015, 05:36 PM   #37
DaZuc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive

Garage List
I heard the alpina flash is pretty dope if you don't have it yet.
Regardless of what they say you should still respect the elders on these forums you can learn from their mistakes.
Def get a video of it though.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2015, 06:34 PM   #38
TheYuriPanda
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinz1
I heard the alpina flash is pretty dope if you don't have it yet.
Regardless of what they say you should still respect the elders on these forums you can learn from their mistakes.
Def get a video of it though.
I'm planning to get that pretty soon thanks! Yeah but being an "elder" dosnt mean you can trash and bash someone else's passion. "At the end of the day, we all share the same passion."
So why not keep something that'll due harm to the community rather and keep it in there head?
Anyways, I'll make sure to grab my older brothers go pros and stick them on!
      01-13-2015, 08:48 PM   #39
Blaster400
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i, Porsche Macan S

Garage List
Get E85 Backend flash, fuel-it LPFP, run 60% E85 fuel, and add VRSF intercooler. Then put JB4 on map 7. You don't need meth. Those mods will get you low 12s with some launch practice. And don't let the elders get to you they are all probably jealous that they are not 17 like you.
      01-14-2015, 12:03 AM   #40
Team503
Nerd
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sport/Auto/Luxury

Man, most of you guys are dicks.

Kid, good luck with your drags. Bracket racing is difficult, but there's not a ton of advice I can give you when you haven't dialed in your car.

The real key to brackets is knowing your car very, very, very well. You need to get out there and do some test'n'tune runs before it gets competitive. That'll give you a chance to get used to your launch. With an AT the shifting will be easy - don't bother with manual, just put it in Sport and let the trans do it for you for now. You might pull better times manually shifting, but without practice it's just another inconsistency to add. Remember, you win brackets by being the most consistent, not the fastest.

Your launch is going to be EVERYTHING. Try to practice brake boosting (hold the brake down, give it throttle to build boost in the turbo, then let off the brake to launch). Practice this (somewhere legal) to get consistent.

The transmission will take care of the rest. Bring bags of ice to the track (like five or ten 20lb bags). Between runs, pop your hood and throw the bag on the plastic cover over the intake manifold (if you're really hard core, pull the plastic cover off the motor ahead of time and put the ice directly on the top of the head). Alternately, get a bottle of squeeze (NO2 aka nitrous) and spray the intercooler between runs. Either way, the goal is to keep IAT (intake air temp) low and prevent heat soak from setting in, which is a HUGE problem with these cars.

Good luck, kid. Post up pics with your time slips after the event. If you've got any kind of data-logging, turn it on, post the logs, and the non-dicks among us will try to go over the data and give you pointers for your next test.
      01-14-2015, 12:06 AM   #41
Team503
Nerd
Ireland
Rep

Just saw the Alpina flash comments. YES. GET IT. It's effing rad.

Also, I prefer the Cobb over the JB4, but there's advantages to both. Do your research a BUNCH before you make decisions.
      01-14-2015, 12:15 AM   #42
TheYuriPanda
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team503 View Post

Kid, good luck with your drags. Bracket racing is difficult, but there's not a ton of advice I can give you when you haven't dialed in your car.

The real key to brackets is knowing your car very, very, very well. You need to get out there and do some test'n'tune runs before it gets competitive. That'll give you a chance to get used to your launch. With an AT the shifting will be easy - don't bother with manual, just put it in Sport and let the trans do it for you for now. You might pull better times manually shifting, but without practice it's just another inconsistency to add. Remember, you win brackets by being the most consistent, not the fastest.

Your launch is going to be EVERYTHING. Try to practice brake boosting (hold the brake down, give it throttle to build boost in the turbo, then let off the brake to launch). Practice this (somewhere legal) to get consistent.

The transmission will take care of the rest. Bring bags of ice to the track (like five or ten 20lb bags). Between runs, pop your hood and throw the bag on the plastic cover over the intake manifold (if you're really hard core, pull the plastic cover off the motor ahead of time and put the ice directly on the top of the head). Alternately, get a bottle of squeeze (NO2 aka nitrous) and spray the intercooler between runs. Either way, the goal is to keep IAT (intake air temp) low and prevent heat soak from setting in, which is a HUGE problem with these cars.

Good luck, kid. Post up pics with your time slips after the event. If you've got any kind of data-logging, turn it on, post the logs, and the non-dicks among us will try to go over the data and give you pointers for your next test.
Great information! This was what I was looking for. I have a meth kit so will spraying the inter-cooler be necessary or still recommended? Will putting ice still help cool the head if the cover is still on, Ill look into the process of taking the cover off, cant be that hard can it? haha. Where Would I get this bottle of squeeze? and would they sell it at the strip to minors? whats another alternative to using no2 to cool the intercooler down. Hopefully Ill have an upgraded intercooler by then so I dont need to worry but just in case.
      01-14-2015, 12:29 AM   #43
Kienvu14
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' E90 N54 Aspen White

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYuriPanda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team503 View Post

Great information! This was what I was looking for. I have a meth kit so will spraying the inter-cooler be necessary or still recommended? Will putting ice still help cool the head if the cover is still on, Ill look into the process of taking the cover off, cant be that hard can it? haha. Where Would I get this bottle of squeeze? and would they sell it at the strip to minors? whats another alternative to using no2 to cool the intercooler down. Hopefully Ill have an upgraded intercooler by then so I dont need to worry but just in case.
Don't worry about the 12's. I went to bandi and hit 13.4.
      01-14-2015, 12:44 AM   #44
Team503
Nerd
Ireland
Rep

Sure can't hurt to spray the intercooler. Anything that makes the IAT lower makes more power. We usually use nitrous because it come in a small bottle and is (relatively) inexpensive. Anything you spray that cools it down (any kind of inert, compressed gas) will work well - just don't use any kind of liquid. Track officials will get pissy if you do since it makes the lane wet, or best case gets liquid all over your tires. Which as you can guess, will kill traction and thus your times.

The cover is pretty easy - check out the misfire troubleshooting post and the linked Cobb video on how to change plugs/coils, and it'll walk you through it. You only need an 8mm socket and an extension (roughly a foot), and it only takes five-ten minutes.

Bottles of nitrous can be bought at most any tuner shop or bought online. Being under 18 might be an issue, but your parents or an older friend can help with that. It's giggle gas (that has sulfur added so you can't use it as a recreational drug), not heroin or a machine gun.

Even with an upgraded intercooler, you should still spray it. Here's why:

Every pass you make heats up the engine bay. Your intercooler works - literally exactly - like a radiator. Hot intake air passes through the fins, and the air flow over it cools the air inside. When you're sitting still, the heat from your engine sits and soaks the engine bay. Given the twin turbos, catalytic converters in your downpipes (which light off at around 1200dg F internal temperature), and going WOT (wide open throttle), you're going to build a lot of heat.

That's why when you watch a video of a car on a dyno, there's a big fan blowing air into the engine bay. It ALL works based on movement, and sitting for half an hour between passes without moving isn't enough time to naturally dissipate heat. That's entirely the point of spraying the intercooler (to cool it down enough to counter heat soak) since nitrous will cool a great deal more than water or ice or any such thing.

We don't spray N20 (did I type N02 earlier? My bad... lol) on the engine because it cools so much it would probably cause cracks in the head. At the very least, it'll cause microfractures, and honestly you don't want to know what a new head for these cars costs. Your family may have money enough to buy that car, but even if they're Bill and Melinda Gates, they're going to get pissed at spending a few grand for no good reason.

A racetrack might refill a bottle, though there's no guarantee of that, but they won't have any to sell.

I don't know which tuner shops are in your area, but go find one that builds drag cars. Doesn't matter if they're imports or domestics, just someone who has experience drag racing. Hang around the shop, get to know the people, and ask a LOT of questions. If you're lucky, they might let borrow a bottle of squeeze (slang for nitrous) or be willing to come out and support you as a community kinda thing.

Hell, pitch it to them as a way to get a whole new younger generation of customers who can afford to actually buy shit.

Again, good luck kid.