E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > VANOS Solenoid Question

01-25-2015, 12:34 PM   #1
Izero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335Xi - Alpine White

VANOS Solenoid Question

So I just got my BMW about 3 weeks ago and about the 3rd day I owned it, it got a half-CEL w/ P0015 code. I just had the BMW dealer replace the VANOS solenoids and they said the pending code went away...

My question is, how concerned should I be about there being damage to the camshaft bearing ledge(s)? And/Or any of the other components in there?

I only ask because the car only came with a 60 day or 2000mile warranty and I don't want to be out a significant amount of $ out of pocket if there is still an issue after the solenoids got replaced.

I'm an engineer with significant experience with all kinds of cars, engines, etc... so if I should be keeping an eye out for anything in particular let me know.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 01:40 PM   #2
wiskerbisskit
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M-sport.

Make sure the oil has been changed regularly. Solenoids are typically faulty because of sludge from my experience. But, it's an electrical component and they do go out from time to time.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 07:05 AM   #3
Izero
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiskerbisskit View Post
Make sure the oil has been changed regularly. Solenoids are typically faulty because of sludge from my experience. But, it's an electrical component and they do go out from time to time.
CarFax showed pretty regular oil changes... the dealer changed the oil as well when they did the VANOS solenoids.... so I guess I'll just keep an eye out.

I still get long crank times on the first start of every day, and the colder it is the longer the crank time is.... not sure if that has anything to do with anything....

The car already got the updated HPFP and new Injectors awhile back so, I shouldn't be too worried about it just yet I guess...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 11:43 AM   #4
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Basically, with vanos solenoids its a good idea to take them out and clean them once a year. You can use brake cleaner or soak them in gasoline for say 30 min. Just make sure you blow them out with an air compressor is all. Its a 10-15 min job with little or no real expertise needed.

You should probably be looking at what oil & filter you will use and how often you will change it. Amsoil and Bosch filters is what I use and I am an Amsoil member, so I get 25% off. I think I am going to switch to Mann Filters though. I do 16k intervals and change the filter out every 8k. Plus I have a magnetic drain plug. I don't track my car. Its just a daily driver. I have had the car since it rolled over 20k, and now it has 107k; it seems to be working for me thus far. I also use an Amsoil engine flush every time I change the oil.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 12:44 PM   #5
Izero
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Basically, with vanos solenoids its a good idea to take them out and clean them once a year. You can use brake cleaner or soak them in gasoline for say 30 min. Just make sure you blow them out with an air compressor is all. Its a 10-15 min job with little or no real expertise needed.

You should probably be looking at what oil & filter you will use and how often you will change it. Amsoil and Bosch filters is what I use and I am an Amsoil member, so I get 25% off. I think I am going to switch to Mann Filters though. I do 16k intervals and change the filter out every 8k. Plus I have a magnetic drain plug. I don't track my car. Its just a daily driver. I have had the car since it rolled over 20k, and now it has 107k; it seems to be working for me thus far. I also use an Amsoil engine flush every time I change the oil.
Well the dealer put brand new solenoids in... so I guess I'll just add it to my summer PM. Just glad the issue happened within the dealer's 60 day or 2000mi warranty... lol
Appreciate 0